C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-23-2015, 02:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

attack blue air filter installed today. comments>

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 06:49 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default attack blue air filter installed today. comments>

I know its been discussed, but when i mentioned i was putting one in some folks asked for comments.

dealer today, oil change (posted a thread about it yesterday... my long time mechanic was hooking me up)... that.. and he goes over my vette from end to end while its in the air

when i was in the service lane... he said "ken..give me that filter and get your @$$ over here" ... then he said.. "you do it"... i unsnapped the maf piece and pulled it out, he handed me a screwdriver, i loosened the clamp to the tb, then he said "just pull up on these grommets", which i did..and zap.. intake was off. While i was removing the old filter from the housing he was looking at the Attack Blue... said "this is pretty damn slick, man! far cry from the O.E. roll of paper towels the air has to get through" (Id not heard that one before.. but he's right!!!!!!!) I said "its supposed to flow 45% better".. he said "no doubt in my book!!!!!!!" I then installed it in the housing.. the fit was super tight... and he even took it from me to check it... "good show on this fit... very good" he said.

Idle did not go up on start up like some folks said theirs did. However, I dont think its my imagination, the idle is slightly smoother now.. you know how the LS3 is... esp. since most gas is not all its supposed to be..

He then pulled into the shop and did the oil change and went over the car for me.. everything was super.. he did give me crap about "you have still not driven this in the rain man!!!! Your under carriage is brand new! its only a car"...

On the way home, I am certain I felt a better throttle response... I tested it more than once to make sure... dramatic? heck no... its just an air filter replacement, but noticeable.. yes... and thats cool.

Ordering the cleaning kit this week. i Plan on keeping it at full operational capacity. Im sure it will last the lifetime of the car.

Good job TKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hats off to you guys!!!!

And Kudos for beating K&N to the punch!
Old 04-28-2010, 07:10 PM
DaveC6ZHZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, Ken. TKO says AB gives slightly better throttle response and about +4 rwhp. Others have also said the fit is tight. Sounds like your experience is right on. I'll be getting an AB in the future, but can't justify $129 right now (so many other mods to get) since I put in a new OEM air filter not long ago.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:26 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Good news. Keep us posted on the improved MPG.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Epic_C6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is in the mail and I can't wait to get it on! Thanks for the words of inspiration!
Old 04-28-2010, 07:40 PM
basacowan
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14

Installed attack blue on my LS3 and noticed some improvement. Also the throttle open has a throatier intake sound over the stock air filter which I continue to wonder how it allows the car the ability to breathe at all.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:50 PM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

thanks good imput
Old 04-28-2010, 07:53 PM
IMA-VET
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was ready to purchase the K&N air filter unit and replace that roll of paper towels GM calls a filter. Then I saw the Attack Blue ad and was pleased to see there was a replacement filter that would flow air much like the K&N at less than half the cost and I can keep my OE housing. I installed the Attack Blue filter about two weeks ago and the improvement is noticeable.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:13 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by IMA-VET
I was ready to purchase the K&N air filter unit and replace that roll of paper towels GM calls a filter. Then I saw the Attack Blue ad and was pleased to see there was a replacement filter that would flow air much like the K&N at less than half the cost and I can keep my OE housing. I installed the Attack Blue filter about two weeks ago and the improvement is noticeable.
Im sure you are like me, and have purchased a lot of aftermarket parts over the years (many years ) for our cars.... i have to say, TKO did one hell of job on the design and solid construction of this piece!
Old 04-28-2010, 08:34 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,073 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I installed my Attack Blue today, I noticed that the cover that holds the filter in place does not fit like the OEM filter. What I mean is the OEM filter slps into the cover that holds it onto the air bridge and the AB filter has a larger perimiter so the cover does not fit into the AB, it pushes it into the air bridge when screwing it in.
Is this normal?
I took my vert for a quick ride and it ran fine, I did notice the car did idle better and pulled stronger. My 08 vert has 24k miles so the Oem filter was due for a change,it did look clean.

I will not get to go on a road trip untill next week and then I can comment on fuel improments if any and overall throttle responce.
I am also thinking of installing a " VETTE AIR" to bring fresh air into the AB. Has anyone done this?
Old 04-28-2010, 08:49 PM
basacowan
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14

Default Attack Blue

Originally Posted by george vee
I installed my Attack Blue today, I noticed that the cover that holds the filter in place does not fit like the OEM filter. What I mean is the OEM filter slps into the cover that holds it onto the air bridge and the AB filter has a larger perimiter so the cover does not fit into the AB, it pushes it into the air bridge when screwing it in.
Is this normal?
I took my vert for a quick ride and it ran fine, I did notice the car did idle better and pulled stronger. My 08 vert has 24k miles so the Oem filter was due for a change,it did look clean.

I will not get to go on a road trip untill next week and then I can comment on fuel improments if any and overall throttle responce.
I am also thinking of installing a " VETTE AIR" to bring fresh air into the AB. Has anyone done this?
Sounds like the filter may not be seated properly. It does take a little working around to ensure the filter is completely "pushed" in and seated. My mount fits nice and tight with no gaps after screwed in.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:02 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,073 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by basacowan
Sounds like the filter may not be seated properly. It does take a little working around to ensure the filter is completely "pushed" in and seated. My mount fits nice and tight with no gaps after screwed in.
Mine fits nice and tight also, but not like the OEM filter. Here is a pic by C6NRED his looks like my fit.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:41 PM
rmedina
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a post regarding hp gain with this filter,oem, and the zr1 oem. The zr1 filter out performed both the ab and oem. Believe it or not the gm engineers got this one right. I'm sure there is a reason the factory filter is so thick. We all know this filter should be in the 50-75.00 range. Sorry I forgot the "vette tax"..
Old 04-28-2010, 10:46 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by basacowan
mine too...in fact, my mechanic asked at first "did they give you longer screws?"... then we messed with it...and it seated real nice and tight. We used and led flashlight to check for gaps.....none.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:52 PM
Bat Man
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

there is a lot of gay undertones in this write up. I think I could play the top gun gay drinking game here...lol Sorry wolfdog
Old 04-28-2010, 10:55 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rmedina
There was a post regarding hp gain with this filter,oem, and the zr1 oem. The zr1 filter out performed both the ab and oem. Believe it or not the gm engineers got this one right. I'm sure there is a reason the factory filter is so thick. We all know this filter should be in the 50-75.00 range. Sorry I forgot the "vette tax"..
no offense broh.. and what would "that reason be for making it so thick"?

cost effect.

I have replaced every single O.E. filter on ever gm car I have owned since the 60's........ got better mpg, better throttle response, and never had any problem. I cleaned them and re oiled them (used K&N) on a regular basis, and it saved me money.... a lot of money in my book. Heck, I even used K&N on my motor cycles, ATV's, and anything they fit it for

If gm got it right with the zr1...thats cool. For the money vs gain.. I think this TKO will do just fine
The following users liked this post:
Richard G. (04-24-2019)
Old 04-29-2010, 05:29 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
I know its been discussed, but when i mentioned i was putting one in some folks asked for comments.

dealer today, oil change (posted a thread about it yesterday... my long time mechanic was hooking me up)... that.. and he goes over my vette from end to end while its in the air

when i was in the service lane... he said "ken..give me that filter and get your @$$ over here" ... then he said.. "you do it"... i unsnapped the maf piece and pulled it out, he handed me a screwdriver, i loosened the clamp to the tb, then he said "just pull up on these grommets", which i did..and zap.. intake was off. While i was removing the old filter from the housing he was looking at the Attack Blue... said "this is pretty damn slick, man! far cry from the O.E. roll of paper towels the air has to get through" (Id not heard that one before.. but he's right!!!!!!!) I said "its supposed to flow 45% better".. he said "no doubt in my book!!!!!!!" I then installed it in the housing.. the fit was super tight... and he even took it from me to check it... "good show on this fit... very good" he said.

Idle did not go up on start up like some folks said theirs did. However, I dont think its my imagination, the idle is slightly smoother now.. you know how the LS3 is... esp. since most gas is not all its supposed to be..

He then pulled into the shop and did the oil change and went over the car for me.. everything was super.. he did give me crap about "you have still not driven this in the rain man!!!! Your under carriage is brand new! its only a car"...

On the way home, I am certain I felt a better throttle response... I tested it more than once to make sure... dramatic? heck no... its just an air filter replacement, but noticeable.. yes... and thats cool.

Ordering the cleaning kit this week. i Plan on keeping it at full operational capacity. Im sure it will last the lifetime of the car.

Good job TKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hats off to you guys!!!!

And Kudos for beating K&N to the punch!
Nice Job Ken! I felt the difference more after a few hundred miles.
with the car adjusting to it. I was going add headers while the driveway is
ripped out. But I decided to wait till I could get the car down to
the dyno. To get my baseline. I'm going to get
a dyno. Attack Blue vs stock with attack blue having the advantage
of being tuned from driving. Then I'll swap in the stock roll of towels.
(I like that,,,,the filter is crap). I expect a possible nice number difference.
but we will see. How do you like the sauce I sent you?

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 04-29-2010 at 05:32 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:09 AM
noenvybu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Wolfdog,
I'm considering the AB filter, and your review was spot on with improved throttle response and idle. I have not modded except slotted rotors,M2W, sway bars,and yesterday's rant about my new wheels and loss in acceleration (Most on forum..say it's paranoia).My car also never hits rain...I'm trying to max driving experience without CAIntake (mixed reviews on forum) or tune (Bought COW's mail order/not installed yet) dealer/warranty fear. Please update on performance and have you considered the Vette Air scoop or heard reviews????

Get notified of new replies

To attack blue air filter installed today. comments>

Old 04-29-2010, 09:12 AM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Valleybacker
there is a lot of gay undertones in this write up. I think I could play the top gun gay drinking game here...lol Sorry wolfdog
Excuse my ignorance, I don't get it?

I'm about as far from "gay" as you can get.....

I am and always have been, passionate about performance cars and reputable add ons. (as well as auto care products........ LOL...ie: zaino).

I call it the way I see it in hopes that it may aid others who read it make a decision on whether they want to try it or not .........

peace.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:45 AM
STEVE MC
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey WD thanks for the input. I was wondering what was up with this filter, gimmick????
Now after reading your review I will consider it when it's time for a filter change.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:28 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Nice write up and the new filter has got to be better than the stocker, why I ditched the setup when our 09 was new, mostly as I did not like the look of the silencer on the right side

Quick Reply: attack blue air filter installed today. comments>