C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

remote got wet, how do I start my car

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 10:00 AM
rick g
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Same as a wet cell phone. Put it in a bowl of dry uncooked rice and LEAVE it for two days. Will be good as new as long as you REMOVED the battery.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:35 AM
427PWRD
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde
Hell..I'm impressed that you could hold your breath for 30 minutes!
That'd be pretty impressive, huh? Sorry, meant to say the FOB was submurged.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:29 PM
Epic_C6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HummelS
Amazing how many people don't RTFM....

That is pretty fricken hilarious! I aplogize I don't spend my nights reading my owners manual. I thought I was just asking clarification and that is what I got from the other member. Then you have to have a smart a** comment. I guess when I retire and don't have a job I can take the time to sit and read 100s of pages of literature with my car but until then I guess I will be a misinformed idiot like you are implying. THANKS and have a great day!
Old 04-29-2010, 08:56 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by phil_sime
That is pretty fricken hilarious! I aplogize I don't spend my nights reading my owners manual. I thought I was just asking clarification and that is what I got from the other member. Then you have to have a smart a** comment. I guess when I retire and don't have a job I can take the time to sit and read 100s of pages of literature with my car but until then I guess I will be a misinformed idiot like you are implying. THANKS and have a great day!
Fair enough, but I asked you to take a look in your glovebox and find the slot so that you could use it in the future if you need it....have you done that, did you find it? All I did was tell you where it was and give you a reference in your manual to read more about it. Was my post wasted or did it do you some good?
Old 04-29-2010, 09:14 PM
itshervette
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

My husband was a service advisor at the Chevy dealer my car was ordered at. He was kind (?) enough to make me read through the manual, before my car was delivered...and then quizzed me when I was done. I learned quite a bit reading through it.

When delivery time came, I informed the salesman that I knew far more than he did & to hand over the fob. Sadly, he didn't even know what the fob was.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:47 PM
lilitaly11
Pro

Originally Posted by cclive
Fair enough, but I asked you to take a look in your glovebox and find the slot so that you could use it in the future if you need it....have you done that, did you find it? All I did was tell you where it was and give you a reference in your manual to read more about it. Was my post wasted or did it do you some good?
Your post was all good, I did not know this either.

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Epic_C6
Pro

Your post was exactly what it should of been and I thank you for explaining this cool little feature I was not aware of. I was only responding to Hummels remark which helped in no way other than to degrade someone and get a laugh. I actually did go look in my glove box and located this little slot and I thank you agian for bringing it to my attention. I was in no way trying to say anything bad to you. Again, thank you for actually taking the time to explain this feature and in the future if I ever need it I wont be lost trying to start my car with a dead FOB.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:24 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Sounds good...glad I could help........I hope you never need to use the slot..but good to know about!
Old 04-29-2010, 10:33 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,372 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I guess when I retire and don't have a job I can take the time to sit and read 100s of pages of literature with my car ...
We are giving you special permission to skip the first 57 pages explaining how to wear a seat belt.

The manual has tons of good info, but finding it can be like a treasure hunt.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:37 PM
Epic_C6
Pro

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
We are giving you special permission to skip the first 57 pages explaining how to wear a seat belt.
Thanks!
Old 05-01-2010, 12:33 AM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I didn't intend to make a smart *** comment. My observation is that there are a LOT of folks who will buy a $50K car, and do not bother to read the basic information about how to operate the damn thing. You can easily read through the owner's manual in an evening, and then you won't have to come onto this Forum looking like an ill-informed newbie, asking the same questions that we get here every week.

Be careful on your response to this - name calling will get you some vacation time.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:12 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by tim@boardwalk
Use the direct connect in the glove box. Just insert your remote and the car will start.
Been over 2 days and the ops hasn't responded.

Tom
Old 05-01-2010, 08:57 AM
vettephyxer
Instructor

Maybe--- some folks got their cars used and the previous owner kept the owners manual to sell on Flee-Bay.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:02 AM
VMUZZO
Advanced

I saw that one comming.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:11 AM
It'sHerVette!
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

When all else fail read the instructions!
Old 05-01-2010, 10:48 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

I didn't intend to make a smart *** comment. My observation is that there are a LOT of folks who will buy a $50K car, and do not bother to read the basic information about how to operate the damn thing. You can easily read through the owner's manual in an evening, and then you won't have to come onto this Forum looking like an ill-informed newbie, asking the same questions that we get here every week.

Be careful on your response to this - name calling will get you some vacation time.
... OMG I just agreed with a Mildcat fan.. what is this world coming to... Actually to your point there are systems and features that can be DAMAGED from improper use! When I spend 50 or 60 grand on something I read the manual simply to protect my investment (yes it's not an investment)... At least skim the manual and learn some of the great features on these cars!! Can save the OP a lot of unnecessary grief in emergency situations!
GO BIG RED!!!

Last edited by cthusker; 05-01-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:00 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
Been over 2 days and the ops hasn't responded.

Tom
I was going to say the same thing, I wonder if he is still standing by his car in a wet swimsuit????

Get notified of new replies

To remote got wet, how do I start my car

Old 05-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Rule292
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by c6 rocket
I went swimming and forgot to remove my remote from my pocket. Now my car will not start. I need to get it started to bring it home. What can I do????

... Because the manual is written to be lawyer-proof not informative.

C6 Rocket, I suggest that you read the ONLINE manual in PDF form. That way you can search against it:

http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/pdf/...tte_owners.pdf

All 430 pages.

Last edited by Rule292; 05-01-2010 at 11:10 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-01-2010, 12:16 PM
richie15
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Are you David Blaine?
Old 05-01-2010, 07:26 PM
chgoblue
Drifting

Thanks, cclive. I didn't know this.

Knowledge is rarely wasted on this Forum, because for every one of us lazy a**holes that posts up admitting to not reading TFM, there's a dozen lazy a**holes like me standing behind them, that don't post up!!! !

And, Phil...Simms,...comon, you can't take offence at the comment, "Amazing how many people don't RTFM....", because you know what? We should read TFM for something we shell out $50k-60k for!!! This ain't no Ginsu knife!

I flunked reading in 1st grade, that's my excuse!

Quick Reply: remote got wet, how do I start my car