C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is experience with Cow tunes & warr. voiding?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 05:43 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,223 Likes on 833 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
You did test drive the car before you bought it...right? When you buy a Corvette (or any other car for that matter) you agree to the rules of play.
That is complete malarkey and you know it...and besides you lied. You just can't help yourself lol...

Many cars are purchased without a test drive. Also there is no possible way to encounter all those "rules" as you put it on a car that hasn't been broken in. Why that might void the warranty...and you are encouraging people to break the law too. Sounds a little hypocritical to me.

Basically you are just spewing drivel for the sake of drivel...
Old 05-10-2010, 05:49 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by wbear
Ok but in the meantime how about a reminder to use the forum search feature, query what I noted and read the many posts complaining about them starting in 05 and continuing thru 09.
sorry, still not my experience. I read, too, and of the total number of people posting on CF C6, how many would you say come on and post about the above? what percentage of owners, or even posters would you say this is occurring to? 5%? 2%?

you can do the search for me.... I already have read them and noted the numbers. while I empathize, it's just not there. and not for me. that was my point.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:55 PM
chgoblue
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default from a thread I just started...

Originally Posted by yell03
Maybe GM can load the 2009 Tranny software in to our computers.
Originally Posted by chgoblue
This question has come up in other threads, so I thought I'd ask my local service manager since I've been in 2 times recently.

Have had some nice conversation with him about the Vettes, and the gearshift problem I had; he's a straight-shooting no kind of guy.

I asked, "Do you do any updated tunes for the engine or tranny, like updating an 07 with an 09 tune?"

He said, "No, we don't change anything from the factory".

I also asked, "Have you seen any problems with after market tunes?"

He said he has, but it is very very rare, so I'm figuring once or twice, a long while ago (if it were recent it would have been noticeable in his answer).

This dealer covers large part of Northern San Diego County, where there is plenty of people, with plenty of money. So, it has a big service dept, and I've seen lots of Corvettes there.

[/I]

Last edited by chgoblue; 05-10-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:11 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Updated tunes are commonly installed at the dealer when you bring your car in for service. It happened to my 05 GTO, which was tuned. I brought it in for an electrical bug and they did an update on the ECM which wiped out the aftermarket tune.

If the 09/10 ECM has a better tune in regard to A6 tranny downshifting, your 08 has likely been flagged for this update the next time you bring it in. Ask your service guy if he knows about an update or can check.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,997 Likes on 5,365 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred H.
Oh, really! I didn't know that. I assumed when you reloaded the stock program they wouldn't be able to tell.

If that's the case, then warranty be damned. I can't stand driving a car that responds as unpredictably as this one does. I'd rather have a car that drives right than a warranty. Most things get denied under warranty claims anyway as either "normal wear" or "owner abuse", and I'm convinced most warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on.
Fred,
That just isn't so. They are very good at honoring the warranty. Some of the dealerships don't have very well skilled people but they do try. I have been getting great warranty coverage and service work from GM dealers since I bought my first new GM car in 1965. In all of those years I only had problems with two dealerships. In the first the mechanic was a crook and in the second the people were incompetent.

Most denials are not very clear cut and involve a lot more than what you hear on the forum. I suspect a lot of it has to do with the person who owns the car and how they present themselves when they go to the shop. It never pays to PO the guy who is going to work on your car.

Bill
Old 05-10-2010, 08:01 PM
chgoblue
Drifting

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Updated tunes are commonly installed at the dealer when you bring your car in for service. It happened to my 05 GTO, which was tuned. I brought it in for an electrical bug and they did an update on the ECM which wiped out the aftermarket tune.

If the 09/10 ECM has a better tune in regard to A6 tranny downshifting, your 08 has likely been flagged for this update the next time you bring it in. Ask your service guy if he knows about an update or can check.
This is why I called and asked the service mgr. the very thing you suggest. He's a straight shooter, knows me, and said that they don't update any Corvettes with more up to date tune, i.e., how you bought it (tune wise) is how it stays. There is no option according to him to buy a different tune from the dealer, at least his.
GTO aside, have you ever had a Chevy dealer that is willing to put in a different tune than it came from the factory with, for any amount of money?
Old 05-10-2010, 08:50 PM
wbear
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
sorry, still not my experience. I read, too, and of the total number of people posting on CF C6, how many would you say come on and post about the above? what percentage of owners, or even posters would you say this is occurring to? 5%? 2%?

you can do the search for me.... I already have read them and noted the numbers. while I empathize, it's just not there. and not for me. that was my point.
Ha, if you want someone to do your searching hire a secretary. My point has nothing to do with numbers or percentages but simply the fact that manual transmission owners have complaints/problems the same as auto transmission owners do. The fact that you have not is just as irrelevant to my post as is the fact that I have not had any problems with my automatic transmission.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:47 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by chgoblue
This is why I called and asked the service mgr. the very thing you suggest. He's a straight shooter, knows me, and said that they don't update any Corvettes with more up to date tune, i.e., how you bought it (tune wise) is how it stays. There is no option according to him to buy a different tune from the dealer, at least his.
GTO aside, have you ever had a Chevy dealer that is willing to put in a different tune than it came from the factory with, for any amount of money?
I think you misunderstood me. The factory occasionally updates the "calibrations" or "tunes" or whatever you want to call the it in the ECM. This has nothing to do with performance, but with fine tuning based on what's happening in the field. Again, this isn't some trick, factory tune that increases your hp, but calibration changes for any number of reasons. It's done via the Tech II hand held, and the updated calibration is downloaded from GM.

Call a different service advisor and see if there are any updates available for your car. There may or may not be.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:53 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by wbear
Ha, if you want someone to do your searching hire a secretary. My point has nothing to do with numbers or percentages but simply the fact that manual transmission owners have complaints/problems the same as auto transmission owners do. The fact that you have not is just as irrelevant to my post as is the fact that I have not had any problems with my automatic transmission.
yeah, and if some of the transmissions could talk, they'd have complaints about some of the drivers.......
Old 05-11-2010, 08:27 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
That is complete malarkey and you know it...and besides you lied. You just can't help yourself lol...

Many cars are purchased without a test drive. Also there is no possible way to encounter all those "rules" as you put it on a car that hasn't been broken in. Why that might void the warranty...and you are encouraging people to break the law too. Sounds a little hypocritical to me.

Basically you are just spewing drivel for the sake of drivel...
I lied about what?? You can't just throw that out there with nothing backing it.....it's one thing to tell me I 'm wrong,but quite another to call me a liar. Anyone can be wrong,but lying shows intent to deceit.

EDIT: crap,crap,crap......I stand corrected, I did say I was done with this thread & here I am again. So, technically you are right. This time I am gone.....unless of course you say something to bring me back....Beetlegeuise has nothing on me...

Last edited by redzone; 05-11-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:44 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Has anyone posted hard-core evidence that GM can in fact tell if you have had an aftermarket tune, AFTER it has been removed and the stock tune put back in? Cow and ECS are saying no, and they tune for a living and have tuned 1000's of C5 and C6's. All I have seen so far is great speculation and rumor from people on this board who do not know how to tune, and do not do it for a living either, so I tend to trust the experts here.

My personal experience over the last 9 years on this forum, in talking to numerous vette techs at dealers, and then vendors on this forum has been the vendors on the forum who tune are far more competent than the bozzo GM so called "vette tech" employees at a stealership.

BTW, I do understand GM not honoring a warranty with a car with aftermarket tune. Makes perfect sense.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:51 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,223 Likes on 833 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
I lied about what?? You can't just throw that out there with nothing backing it.....it's one thing to tell me I 'm wrong,but quite another to call me a liar. Anyone can be wrong,but lying shows intent to deceit.

EDIT: crap,crap,crap......I stand corrected, I did say I was done with this thread & here I am again. So, technically you are right. This time I am gone.....unless of course you say something to bring me back....Beetlegeuise has nothing on me...

It's all in fun bud.....
Old 05-11-2010, 12:11 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
It's all in fun bud.....
Yes it is.....
Old 05-11-2010, 03:20 PM
chgoblue
Drifting

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
I think you misunderstood me. The factory occasionally updates the "calibrations" or "tunes" or whatever you want to call the it in the ECM. This has nothing to do with performance, but with fine tuning based on what's happening in the field. Again, this isn't some trick, factory tune that increases your hp, but calibration changes for any number of reasons. It's done via the Tech II hand held, and the updated calibration is downloaded from GM.

Call a different service advisor and see if there are any updates available for your car. There may or may not be.
Thanks for the clarification. I can understand where a subtle difference in how the question is asked (well, maybe not so subtle) would get a different answer.

I would think, however, that if GM generally made an update for lags in the transmission (auto) shifting available it would be fairly common knowledge, at least on this Forum? Or, at least, GM would publish updates available for Corvettes, and we'd gladly pay for them, but in the scheme of things it is probably trivial to them.

BTW- I don't want to read too much into it, but the service coordinator I talked to seemed to add credence to statements in this thread that supported FrankTanks's comment:

My personal experience over the last 9 years on this forum, in talking to numerous vette techs at dealers, and then vendors on this forum has been the vendors on the forum who tune are far more competent than the bozzo GM so called "vette tech" employees at a stealership

Without anywhere near he experience the average member on this Forum has, and the reaction of the one service dealer I talked with, the engine would have to blow up for the dealer to think about looking for a tune, and the likelihood of that is less than 1% at most. I doubt they'd look for a tranny tune (the kind I'd be interested in) if there was a tranny problem.

I suppose we have to look at the dealer's incentives for doing warranty work, i.e., they get paid nicely for warranty work from GM so unless it's a blowen engine, GM wouldn't question paying the dealer for the work done. So, anything less than the expense of an engine, I doubt if the dealer bothers to look for a tune at all.

And, it sounds like the tunes with good reputations, ChuckCow, etc., are less likely to cause a blown engine, than a manufacturing fault without a tune, which I imagine it extremely rare.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:41 PM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

255th Post! Whooooo hoooooooo!!!

Did I win the ZR1 w/ custom tune?
Old 05-12-2010, 05:57 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

255th Post! Whooooo hoooooooo!!!

Did I win the ZR1 w/ custom tune?
Nope.That would be the 256th poster!
Old 05-12-2010, 06:20 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 08crm
Nope.That would be the 256th poster!
uh uh, the 257th.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:31 PM
BLACK 08
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, as stated many times, if you're even the slightest bit worried about voiding the warranty no matter who's tune it is DON'T HAVE IT TUNED.

I'll tell you my story. My first Vette was a 2007 6spd man/Z51. I ordered it and picked it up with 3 miles on it. Being my first Vette it was very well cared for and NEVER abused or raced. The only thing I had on it at the time was a Borla Stinger exhaust. At about 4,500 miles the tranny started to have a high pitched whine. The car still drove strong and shifted fine but the noise was noticable.

Two weeks in the shop, a rental car, and a completely rebuilt trans later the dealer still couldn't figure out exactly what caused the problem but some of the gears were bad.

Because these cars are so bulletproof this raised red flags with the GM rep who had to approve the warranty coverage.

They checked EVERYTHING to see if I abused this car. GM even went as far as to ask the dealer if there was any rubber in the wheel wells to show if I ever did a burnout. Parts were sent back to GM and who knows what else they did. When all else failed they flat out asked me if I raced the car or abused it in any way. Now, this was all before the bankruptcy and bad economy.

So if they went through this much trouble back then to find anything to void the warranty what do you think they would do now ? Had I had a tune, anyone's for that matter, and they did find it guess who would have eaten the bill.

It's not that the tune itself would have caused the failure but GM would have voided the warranty just because of it. Now I truely don't know if GM can detect a tune but I personally am not willing to take that chance. Which goes back to what I stated above. If you are the slightest bit concerned then don't do it.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,669 Likes on 851 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by BLACK 08
First, as stated many times, if you're even the slightest bit worried about voiding the warranty no matter who's tune it is DON'T HAVE IT TUNED.

I'll tell you my story. My first Vette was a 2007 6spd man/Z51. I ordered it and picked it up with 3 miles on it. Being my first Vette it was very well cared for and NEVER abused or raced. The only thing I had on it at the time was a Borla Stinger exhaust. At about 4,500 miles the tranny started to have a high pitched whine. The car still drove strong and shifted fine but the noise was noticable.

Two weeks in the shop, a rental car, and a completely rebuilt trans later the dealer still couldn't figure out exactly what caused the problem but some of the gears were bad.

Because these cars are so bulletproof this raised red flags with the GM rep who had to approve the warranty coverage.

They checked EVERYTHING to see if I abused this car. GM even went as far as to ask the dealer if there was any rubber in the wheel wells to show if I ever did a burnout. Parts were sent back to GM and who knows what else they did. When all else failed they flat out asked me if I raced the car or abused it in any way. Now, this was all before the bankruptcy and bad economy.

So if they went through this much trouble back then to find anything to void the warranty what do you think they would do now ? Had I had a tune, anyone's for that matter, and they did find it guess who would have eaten the bill.

It's not that the tune itself would have caused the failure but GM would have voided the warranty just because of it. Now I truely don't know if GM can detect a tune but I personally am not willing to take that chance. Which goes back to what I stated above. If you are the slightest bit concerned then don't do it.
Sage advice

Good thing you didn't test whether or not GM can detect an aftermarket tune. With the money at stake, I will err on the side of caution that GM indeed has the means and the motivation to find out if an aftermarket tune in the car after a hard part powertrain failure

IMHO, the car drives just fine as is from the factory.

Quick Reply: What is experience with Cow tunes & warr. voiding?