C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you purchase tire road hazard insurance?
yes
36.36%
no
63.64%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Tire Road Hazard Insurance ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 12:00 AM
Dendk
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vette-oholic
wow im surprised costco can mount the low profile vette tire...
There equipment is first rate and there techs are certified Michelin installers, I was surprised and impressed.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:51 AM
chgoblue
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BadToo
The last tire and wheel policy I bought from a dealer covered the wheel only if it would no longer hold air. Cosmetic damage doesn't matter. You could beat it, warp it, scratch it, bend it, whatever - no coverage if it holds air. As soon as I found this out I cancelled the policy and got a refund.
Isn't this when you need what Elmer's got?

Like buying damage insurance AND loss insurance on a cell phone. Why do you need damage insurance???

bosco 08: "No. Your betting you need it, their betting you don't."

Ah, yes, but they have the law of large numbers on their side, and obviously it pays to bet that you don't, otherwise they'd be out of business. You're funding their buildings, their offices, their salaries, and their advertising.

thirtythird: "The problem for me is that it was advertised one way (or I was led to believe) but in practice it was a lot more restrictive than I thought."

And, they also have the small print on their side as thirtythird so adroitly points out.

Is having tire insurance any different than having $100 tp $250 deductible for collision, instead of $1000 or $2000 deductible?
It is a lot cheaper over the long run having higher deductibles, and if you can afford a C6 in the first place, shouldn't you be self-insured?

Last edited by chgoblue; 05-15-2010 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:19 AM
RobWilson
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 218 Likes on 145 Posts

I didn't used to get the road hazard until I hit a pot hole and ruined a Michelin PS2. It was just old enough that I didn't feel I could only replace one of the front tires. Two new Michelin PS2s convinced me to spend a little extra for the road hazard.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:46 AM
chgoblue
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RobWilson
I didn't used to get the road hazard until I hit a pot hole and ruined a Michelin PS2. It was just old enough that I didn't feel I could only replace one of the front tires. Two new Michelin PS2s convinced me to spend a little extra for the road hazard.
Interesting comment. Two questions:

1) How much is road hazard insurance?

2) Does it pay for towing?

3) Does it pay for 2 tires if only one blows out as you suggest?

Thanks,

Charles

PS I know I'm potentially backpeddling here.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:05 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 229 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by bosco 08
No. Your betting you need it, their betting you don't.
They don't sell insurance with the intention of losing money. They sell insurance so that, in the long run, they get to put your money in their pocket and keep most of it. For every person who collects more than the policy costs there are dozens if not hundreds who collected nothing for their "investment".

If you can't afford a new tire in the rare instance that you damage one, then you can't afford a Corvette.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by thirtythird
I got the dealership tire insurance...

But I would not purchase it again. I hit a bad pothole that bent the left front rim and caused a bulge in the tire.

When I got the insurance, the finance dude said anything happens bring it in and they will be replaced.

Well, when something did happen, they said the rim would be repaired, and if not, replaced with non-factory rim of the same type, and the tire, since it held air, would not be replaced.

What a joke. The problem for me is that it was advertised one way (or I was led to believe) but in practice it was a lot more restrictive than I thought.

I ended up getting the rim fixed (along with 2 others on my other car) for 100 bucks and then replaced the front tire at my own expense.

To me, the tire warranty was not worth the paper it was printed on. YMMV.

As far as the one from tire shops, I have used it in the past to my benefit but lately I don't get that anymore. It costs enough just to get a set of tires these days, even for a Focus.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:28 PM
vette-oholic
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not a question of affording a new tire.

All insurance companies are in business, but does that mean that you don't buy health insurance??

Don't be an azzhat.

Sometimes insurance = peace of mind and it's hard to put a dollar sign on that.

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl

If you can't afford a new tire in the rare instance that you damage one, then you can't afford a Corvette.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:48 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl

All insurance companies are in business, but does that mean that you don't buy health insurance??

Don't be an azzhat.

I've gotta with vette-oholic.
Though this is a vette forum, the Tire Road Hazard poll reads as a general question. And of all the insurance policies one has {outside of health ins} I think that a road hazard is the one most often collected on.
In 30yrs and 100K's of miles of driving, I've had my share of punctures.
Damn glad to have road hazard, and will buy it every time.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:03 AM
Pylons
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't be an azzhat.

I think there might be a health problem or 2 that'll run you more than the cost of a new michelin.

Insurance is generally for bad outcomes you can't reasonably afford to pay for. Worst case with a tire is far different from worst case with your health, dontcha think?

Quick Reply: Tire Road Hazard Insurance ?