C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler too low for Muffler Plate Installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 06:45 PM
tpawlak
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Muffler too low for Muffler Plate Installation

I am installing a Muffler Plate I purchased from Southern Car Parts on a Base Coupe without NPP. The Muffler Plate is basically a bent piece of stainless stell which goes over the 4 exhaust tips and attaches to the plastic on either side of the muffler under the car via 3M doubled sided tape. The Muffler Plate goes over my 4 exhaust tips with no problem but my muffler is about ¼ inch lower than the plastic pieces on either side of the muffle under the car so to complete the installation I would need to raise my muffler about ½ inch. Has anyone run into this and if so can you tell me how to raise the muffler 1/2 inch as well as how difficult it is. Thanks...
Old 06-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tpawlak
I am installing a Muffler Plate I purchased from Southern Car Parts on a Base Coupe without NPP. The Muffler Plate is basically a bent piece of stainless stell which goes over the 4 exhaust tips and attaches to the plastic on either side of the muffler under the car via 3M doubled sided tape. The Muffler Plate goes over my 4 exhaust tips with no problem but my muffler is about ¼ inch lower than the plastic pieces on either side of the muffle under the car so to complete the installation I would need to raise my muffler about ½ inch. Has anyone run into this and if so can you tell me how to raise the muffler 1/2 inch as well as how difficult it is. Thanks...
I had a guy at a muffler shop put the car on a lift to lift the mufflers/ adjust the hangers. If he knows what he's doing it shouldn't take long/ cost much. There should also be self tapping screws included... Those and the 3M tape secure the panel...

I believe this is the panel you're talking about?

Old 06-05-2010, 07:25 PM
tpawlak
Instructor

That's exactly what I'm talking about!!! Thanks, I will bring it to the local muffler shop tomorrow morning. By the way, your car looks great. Love the Corvette letters as well. I was about to order a set. Any adivce?
Old 06-05-2010, 09:27 PM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by tpawlak
If you check the instructions (do we ever!? ) , you'll read the procedure for adjusting the hangers. You can do it yourself but it isn't easy...unless you remove the hanger brackets. Then it is a matter of bending the muffler pins. I used a short piece of galvanized pipe. It worked fairly well.

Try to get the mufflers level and no need to be too precise...

Good luck!
Old 06-05-2010, 09:59 PM
zrone90
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I did mine with a deep socket on an extension. Had to remove the rubber mount first. Bend the tab down to move the muffler up.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:42 PM
tpawlak
Instructor

Sorry should have pointed out that I read the instructions. I was wondering how hard it was to remove the gaskets and adjust the pins and also if it was pretty standard for most standard mufflers sit 1/4 or so below the plactic under the car. Seems like it would be difficult to remove the gasket and adjust the pins, one by one until done, and get it right but maybe I am overreacting.

Get notified of new replies

To Muffler too low for Muffler Plate Installation

Quick Reply: Muffler too low for Muffler Plate Installation