C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Does Not Care About Fixing Problems - My Last Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 08:14 PM
ryoder
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

I had an s10 that shut down while driving down the highway almost every day and that was in extended warranry period. I took it to 4 dealers 6 times over a month's time and they never could fix the problem. I ended up trading it in and buying a Silverado and it was a great truck.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Skullbussa
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 77 Posts

Satellite radio will be dead/bankrupt in 5 years anyway. I wouldn't lose much sleep over it.

Services like Pandora (through cell phone services) and wifi-equipped cars that are coming onto the market from Ford will be the final nail in the XM/Sirius coffin.

if I sound like I'm rooting for satellite's demise....I am. I wrestled with XM for the past two years and the constant signal drop, re-shuffling of music stations, and repeated lowering of sound quality. No more.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:37 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
Understand your frustration but to go to the extent of why GM went Bankrupt and this being your last Vette over XM radio is a bit beyond me.
If the XM went out on my '08 Z I would ask for a refund of my subscription and call it a day.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:27 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Your NOT nuts.

Originally Posted by Rusler John
About XM radio. You guys are going to think I'm nuts, but, a friend of mine, who is an info, electronics, communication geek, said, that, sun spots are causing the disturbance. There's a super amount of sun storms or disturbances, this year, and it's creating havoc with a lot of the satellite rebounds. I don't know if this is true or not, but, it sounds feasible. I've never had so much blacking out with XM before and even my cable TV acts up, now and then.
You and your friend are NOT nuts, you are correct. I'm not an expert in the field but are familar with what you are talking about because of working around and repairing similar type of equipment in the military. Yes, we had trouble with sun spots messing up and garbling radio, etc. transmissions and receptions. Usually it would last for a few days or so and then would die down until the next event in the future. This would happen several times a year and then start over. A way of life in communications. Therefore, the uneducated in radio communications should hopefully gain some knowledge about this problem, just think about lighting!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:33 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

come on...you can't be serious. you're willing to give up on this car and gm over a stupid radio?
Old 06-15-2010, 09:41 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Default ???

Originally Posted by gbgary
come on...you can't be serious. you're willing to give up on this car and gm over a stupid radio?
I don't know about the radio BUT I do know about STUPID GM.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:45 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller
I don't know about the radio BUT I do know about STUPID GM.
i met you at a gtg in southlake i believe. didn't you have some rattle issue that finally got taken care of?
Old 06-15-2010, 09:52 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,609 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Originally Posted by FU
Comon problem with XM......especially in a Corvette (plastic).
Comes and goes sometimes - in the Corvette and the Cadillac.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:59 PM
TWOBUELLS
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Your going to give up on GM and your Corvette because the XM radio cuts in and out , Give me a friggin break.....
I could give two sheets about the radio....
Old 06-15-2010, 10:02 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

XM is pitiful. Just go to a "tree-heavy" state and you won't be listening to it. Kentucky was too much for my Impala's and it is metal. Washington really pissed it off.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on the lack of terrestrial repeaters as a possible problem.

I live near a repeater and can get XM in my garage with the door down! But I've been on some drives out in the middle of nowhere and the signal sometimes drops out.

I have a portable XM radio connected to the factory XM antenna in my Pontiac. When the signal gets weak, I can pull up a meter on the unit and tell which signal it's using (terrestrial or satellite) and how strong the signal is. Too bad the factory radio doesn't do that.

I don't blame the dealer for not throwing new parts at a problem he can't replicate. They're specifically not supposed to do that.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:33 PM
LORDDVADER
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a few folks hit your issue dead on. It isn't so much an issue with the CAR, its an issue with the XM radio. From my experience, it tends to be the stock factory set up. I had Sirius on my Charger (the car i traded for the Vette- and never looked back) The reception would cut in and out A LOT. I bought the Vette, added an after market Sirius set up from a car audio place and have not had the problem again (except in an enclosed garage). Sorry I know it doesn't really help you, but perhaps you can go to a car audio place and look into a seperate antenna (mine is on the rear window)
Old 06-16-2010, 03:56 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Default ??

Originally Posted by gbgary
i met you at a gtg in southlake i believe. didn't you have some rattle issue that finally got taken care of?
I live near SL but I did a GTG, a hamburger place off 1709, in SL maybe 3 years ago, and a breakfast GTG about the same time in Grapevine. I had a top rattle, latches, and a door shim rattle that got repaired in the last two years. Hope that helps.

Last edited by 2006c6keller; 06-16-2010 at 04:19 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:07 AM
Bat Man
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't stand the "we can not replicate problem" BS!! How about they ask you to come out and go over the issue with the technician? But no, they want to wait until the end of the day, and tell you, can't find a problem. I think they do this to get us corvette owners out of their hair.

Honestly, I doubt Chevrolet service managers like servicing corvettes. Another reason why we should belong to the Cadillac side for purchasing and maintenance.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:09 AM
Bat Man
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

OP a suggestion, GM still has the 60 day buy back right? If so, just threaten to use it. But don't threaten the service manager, call your original salesman or sales manager and explain to them. They'll put the heat on the service manager.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:26 AM
wrongway
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Valleybacker
I can't stand the "we can not replicate problem" BS!! How about they ask you to come out and go over the issue with the technician? But no, they want to wait until the end of the day, and tell you, can't find a problem. I think they do this to get us corvette owners out of their hair.

Honestly, I doubt Chevrolet service managers like servicing corvettes. Another reason why we should belong to the Cadillac side for purchasing and maintenance.
It's not just corvettes. I had my silverado in the dealership twice because the gas gauge wasn't working correctly. It wouldn't move as I burned gas and would show full when the tank was almost half empty. They told me there is nothing wrong with it of course, which has been my experience with any problem not under recall. When the fuel pump came apart inside the gas tank leaving me stranded on the freeway, then they believed me. I am waiting for the tranny to break next. I have had it in the dealership for hard/incorrect shift points and they tell me it's fine as well. The first to second shift sometimes rattles my teeth and one of these times it is just going to break. My 2007 low mileage vette leaves oil on the floor of the garage. Wonderful quality there along with the clutch, top popping noises, etc. I will never buy another GM product.

And for those of you berating the thread starter for complaining about the radio, he isn't complaining about the radio, HE'S COMPLAINING ABOUT POOR SERVICE FROM GM. And he shouldn't have to waste time going dealer to dealer looking for proper service. Proper service starts with consistency. I don't blame him for not wanting another GM product.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:00 AM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC6Vette
I own a 2010 Grand Sport Corvette which the Nav unit in it. The XM radio randomly cuts in and out - not under obstructions or bridges or trees - you can not tell where or when. I have beent to two dealerships, both say they can't replicate the problem and I will have to wait until it breaks completely before they will do anything. One service manager actually said hey if we start replacing parts and put int three and don't fix then GM will have to buy it back and GM won't go down that road.

So I am stuck with an XM radio that is annoying and at times downright unusable. You would think if you pay nearly 60K for one of their products and it is the eighth Corvette you have purchased they might be interested in customer satisfaction. Obviously NOT!.

I have tried contacting the factory, they assigned an "Executive Assistance Program" to resolving the problem (right!) and this has gone nowhere. So, they have lost a loyal customer.

Now I truly understand the reason GM is bankrupt. You just can't treat customers this way.
If shaky XM is enough to get you so upset as to give up your GS, then you should not be driving a Corvette. You can just PM me, and I'll be happy to come over, take that obnoxious little car off your hands and relieve your stress levels.
I've given up on my local dealer and bought the Helms manuals. I'll figure it out.

Last edited by BSE1956; 06-16-2010 at 10:01 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Does Not Care About Fixing Problems - My Last Corvette

Old 06-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Valleybacker

If a issue or problem cannot be dupliacted what should they do? At what point do they stop replacing everything people brought in? Sadly, it makes no sense to replace something the tech cannot find a issue with. However, if they did my Vette would be loaded up with new parts.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 689 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC6Vette
I own a 2010 Grand Sport Corvette which the Nav unit in it. The XM radio randomly cuts in and out - not under obstructions or bridges or trees - you can not tell where or when. I have beent to two dealerships, both say they can't replicate the problem and I will have to wait until it breaks completely before they will do anything. One service manager actually said hey if we start replacing parts and put int three and don't fix then GM will have to buy it back and GM won't go down that road.

So I am stuck with an XM radio that is annoying and at times downright unusable. You would think if you pay nearly 60K for one of their products and it is the eighth Corvette you have purchased they might be interested in customer satisfaction. Obviously NOT!.

I have tried contacting the factory, they assigned an "Executive Assistance Program" to resolving the problem (right!) and this has gone nowhere. So, they have lost a loyal customer.

Now I truly understand the reason GM is bankrupt. You just can't treat customers this way.
Hello,

I do apologize for the problems you are experiencing. I see that you are working with Executive Customer Assistance. Can you please send me your VIN in a private message that way I can review your case and what is going on with it? Again, I do apologize for the inconveniences you are experiencing.

Geoff Allen
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-16-2010, 10:34 AM
ORANGEC6VERT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on customer feedback-because they DO care and listen-GM tried to hide the XM antenna as much as possible. Most owners do not even know where it is. ALL XM service fades in and out. At times it seems worse than others. It is random, which is why your dealer cant duplicate it. Fact is it is probably normal. I drive my Corvette every day, and I have the problem. I drive any number of other vehicles in the course of my work at a dealership, and they all do it. I dont like it, but I have been in other (non-GM) products that do the same thing. I am sorry that the XM doesnt meet your standards, but in this case I dont blame the dealer, although it sounds like a better explanation may have helped you a bit.

Quick Reply: GM Does Not Care About Fixing Problems - My Last Corvette