C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Does Not Care About Fixing Problems - My Last Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:55 PM
ralexand
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Default XM Problems

I have noticed the same thing with my new 2010 3LT coupe. Out in the clear on the road with no obstructions, it will cut in and out. It's very annoying and I don't plan to subscribe when my free year is up. I have a 2008 Dodge Caliber with Sirius that does not have this issue. So it must be something about XM.

I love my new Corvette and the minor issue with XM is not going to keep my from enjoying it. I bought the Corvette for style and performance, not XM radio. I like listening to the music the engine plays with the exhaust opened up

Last edited by ralexand; 06-15-2010 at 01:56 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-15-2010, 01:59 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

It is unfortunate that you dealer has left you with this perception. I too would open a case with GM Customer Service as well as trying one last time with another dealer. It happens all too often but since the dealership is the first line of defence and typically the last to understand the customer point of view. The truth is that most dealerships simply do not see enough Corvettes in their lifetime to warrant truly skilled Corvette troubleshooting.

I would agree with most that posted this is more typical of an XM reception/transmission problem however, the dealership should be trying to put your mind at ease and not simply put you aside. I've sent off an email and hopefully someone can help you get some resolution.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:59 PM
C6Corvet
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to say Chrysler stepped up. My Challenger was doin some strange stuff I would get no sound from the radio. I would go to my destination do what I had to. Start the car and it would play as normal. It did this on and off for 6 mos. I brought it to my local dealer not the one I bought it from. He ordered me a new unit and installed it within a week. The unit is the big one with the nav and the HDD unit. Works like a charm + he activated Sirrus for 6mo on him.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

XM cutting out is common with all makes and manufacturers across the country. Found this out talking to friends and with rentals of all makes in various parts of the country.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:05 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Well...

My car has XM, I have NEVER used it...So I love my car I would not pay to listen to radio... You should look into a I pod. Tunes in my car on 1-10 scale are a 1... If the radio is a 10 to you... you may need another car.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:06 PM
LarryMJones
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Drop the XM system, if they haven't pi_ _ ed you off yet they will. They screwed up my bill so bad I finally had to cancel. It was the only way to resolve the problem. They have been calling every week trying to get me to come back, but I have found that after 6 years of SAT radio, I can live with a CD changer and local radio again. Especially since 2 of my XM equipped vehicles are hobby cars driven only ocassionally.

The Vette has a great 6 disc changer, for what you spend on XM you can buy a couple brand new disc every month.

And I am a stock owner in SAT radio.

But to be fair and as a stock owner I never had a technical problem with the Vette or other XM equipped vehicles.
LJ
Old 06-15-2010, 02:24 PM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

It would be nice to know how long the "Executive Assistance Program" has had to work on the problem. Have you tried contacting Geoff from Chevy. His screen name is Chevy Cust Svc. BY tyhe way my XM flakes in and out all the time
Old 06-15-2010, 02:27 PM
okbkvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have XM in a toyota sequoia and the vette. The toyota is better reception, but just a little. But toyota blue tooth is the worst trash out there.
I think a lot of it is XM, not GM. I just had a couple of very long road trips. From Oklahoma, througy to Tenn, up to Ohio and back, then out west. I had dropped XM from time to time heading east (lots more hills, etc) and hardley any west (wide open) until I got into the mountains.
But also be aware that your radio is not made by GM/delphi anymore. As I recall, the unit is Denso, which is japanese. I was pretty surprised when I saw that Denso logo, but I guess they were the low bidder.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:29 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by STiRob
Like someone mentioned earlier I dont think its the XM thats bothering him but the complete lack of competent customer service. If he cant get something as simple as the XM fixed whats going to happen if he has to bring his car in for a more serious issue.
I understand the frustration, but I can see the dealers point. First of all, if they can't replicate the problem then you are just asking them to start replacing things that they cannot confirm aren't working. Hell, we'd all be replacing our engines a month before the warranty runs out if they were willing on handling complaints that way.

Second, they don't own XM and cannot know if it's an equipment problem or a signal problem. My wifes Mazda (with Sirius) cuts in and out as well, and a friend has a aftermarket XM radio on his motorcycle that does the same thing.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:37 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

Well, perhaps this junior member should no longer be a member of the Corvette Society. I mean, carping about something that is not a GM manufacturing issue and bad mouthing all Corvettes in general is just immature and without merit. There are lots of options for correcting the issue but posting like you did is not one of them. Try asking for help next time and maybe you will not be so negative about such things.....
Old 06-15-2010, 02:41 PM
greengo
Drifting

This can all be related to two words...................

XM SUX
Old 06-15-2010, 02:51 PM
One Bad Vette
Burning Brakes

Are you fking kidding me? Did you really buy a corvette for the xm??? Yall people on this site crack me up more and more each day. Nothing in life is perfect. Youre talking about satellite reception. I agree some if not most dealers suck *****, but your being an *** hat. If you arent getting xm reception, pop in a GD cd or plug in the ipod. Or hell heres a thought, enjoy the damn drive (the reason most of us bought a corvette to begin with).
Old 06-15-2010, 02:56 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

You bought your car because it had XM ?? I've had every XM receiver on the market. They ALL drop out from time to time. I guess you feel GM needs to go up and adjust the satellite for you ?
Old 06-15-2010, 03:01 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC6Vette
I own a 2010 Grand Sport Corvette which the Nav unit in it. The XM radio randomly cuts in and out - not under obstructions or bridges or trees - you can not tell where or when. I have beent to two dealerships, both say they can't replicate the problem and I will have to wait until it breaks completely before they will do anything. One service manager actually said hey if we start replacing parts and put int three and don't fix then GM will have to buy it back and GM won't go down that road.

So I am stuck with an XM radio that is annoying and at times downright unusable. You would think if you pay nearly 60K for one of their products and it is the eighth Corvette you have purchased they might be interested in customer satisfaction. Obviously NOT!.

I have tried contacting the factory, they assigned an "Executive Assistance Program" to resolving the problem (right!) and this has gone nowhere. So, they have lost a loyal customer.

Now I truly understand the reason GM is bankrupt. You just can't treat customers this way.
XM cuts in and out, it's probably not your equipment at all, it's XM. Mine did it too. G.M. has 0 control over XM's satellite. XM sucks anyway. Now really, did you buy a Corvette for it's XM radio.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:26 PM
STiRob
Instructor

Originally Posted by jschindler
I understand the frustration, but I can see the dealers point. First of all, if they can't replicate the problem then you are just asking them to start replacing things that they cannot confirm aren't working. Hell, we'd all be replacing our engines a month before the warranty runs out if they were willing on handling complaints that way.

Second, they don't own XM and cannot know if it's an equipment problem or a signal problem. My wifes Mazda (with Sirius) cuts in and out as well, and a friend has a aftermarket XM radio on his motorcycle that does the same thing.

Your right on the first part. I guess I was speaking out of similar frustrations Ive had in the past with dealers, not with GM though.

GM may not own XM but they are reponsible for having this product in there vehicles. I fortunelty have had no issues with XM or sirius in any of my cars which leads me to believe that maybe the hardware is to blame in the cars that are having problems.As an example you and I live in the same area so we should be experiencing the same issues, but we are not.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:31 PM
SteveTurner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99c54me
My guess is GM cares very much - that your dealer sucks. Why not try another GM dealer? Satellite reception is not rocket science. Not certain but as I understand there are XM antennas in both side mirrors. Maybe one or both connections need to be checked?

Personally I find it tough to understand your "My Last Corvette" comment all based on XM. I tend to focus on the cars performance, not some stupid XM waste of weight I would never have paid money for if it was an option.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:31 PM
AKC_C6
Instructor

Originally Posted by One Bad Vette
Are you fking kidding me? Did you really buy a corvette for the xm??? Yall people on this site crack me up more and more each day. Nothing in life is perfect. Youre talking about satellite reception. I agree some if not most dealers suck *****, but your being an *** hat. If you arent getting xm reception, pop in a GD cd or plug in the ipod. Or hell heres a thought, enjoy the damn drive (the reason most of us bought a corvette to begin with).
Originally Posted by VatorMan
You bought your car because it had XM ?? I've had every XM receiver on the market. They ALL drop out from time to time. I guess you feel GM needs to go up and adjust the satellite for you ?
Are you guys serious????

Its not about the XM... Its about the $hitty customer service that has the OP angry!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To GM Does Not Care About Fixing Problems - My Last Corvette

Old 06-15-2010, 03:38 PM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by calmtgguy
XM cuts in and out, it's probably not your equipment at all, it's XM. Mine did it too. G.M. has 0 control over XM's satellite. XM sucks anyway. Now really, did you buy a Corvette for it's XM radio.
If it doesn't do the same thing on AM / FM / or CD then it's not the stereo itself or a GM issue, unfortunately it's XM's issue.

While GM has XM in their cars, the GM / XM relationship is nothing more then the free trial period for promo'ing XM but GM has no control over the application.

By the way, don't blame it on the vette. It's also not only a vette thing. Our 2007 Suburban has done the same thing when using XM since we brought it home new in 2006 (yes we were stupid enough to buy a 4 year service on XM) . I too took it to the dealership and they even witnessed the issue but only in XM mode, it did not happen in AM, FM or CD so the stereo itself is not the issue. The dealership went as far as replacing the XM antenna on their dime when they didn't have to, but it didn't fix the issue.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:47 PM
blackfd
Burning Brakes

The problem with XM is a lot of areas don't have terrestrial repeaters, which are essentially ground transmitters that pick up the slack where you lose connection to the satellite in the sky... which causes the drop out you're talking about.

This will happen in an area without terrestrial repeaters with any XM receiver in a moving vehicle without direct sight of the satellite in the sky. In my city we do not have terrestrial repeaters either and it cuts in/out terribly around any buildings, or even a tall semi next to me.

While you might be disappointed with GM/Chevrolet as I have been many times regarding powertrain problems, cosmetic defects, interior defects and other annoying part failures... your case is not the cause for concern.

If you're wanting to really get upset wait until something actually breaks and see how you fight tooth and nail for a resolution.

Regarding XM, the reception sucks without those ground repeaters, the sound quality is absolute trash and the playlists of their channels has shrunken to that of any other radio station with commcericals... I dropped them last year after I was willing to deal with the other caveats... tiny playlists was the last straw for me.

good luck, buy an ipod or burn some mp3 cd's
Old 06-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Cancel the XM get the car sounding nice and enjoy.

Quick Reply: GM Does Not Care About Fixing Problems - My Last Corvette