C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Convertible top problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 10:32 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy_in_MD
Manual top. I recommend it.

BTW...6.5 years on this necropost. No time at all compared to that 10+ year old resurrected thread a week or so ago.
Thjanks Randy....but we don't have a manual top....any suggestions that might help us all out ??.....
Old 03-04-2018, 10:36 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by thunderglide
Guys I had this very problem. The Tonneau would close but not click down and shut off. I opened the top to reveal the cover where the latch assembly engages the pull down switch. These electric latches are used in a variety of GM trunks and Corvettes. They can be easily purchased and replaced. All you have to do is remove the cover where the motor latch assembly is located and check the gears. No surprise they are plastic and will wear out or get cracked and will never close again. I replaced mine with new one in about an hour and my top works like a charm. There are some plastic connectors along the sides of the waterfall where the latch is located and must be removed first before unscrewing the waterfall from the bracket. But it is really and easy repair. The dealer wanted $500 to replace it. The part is less than $200 on line. At least open the waterfall and remove the latch to check it out. Just my experience with the same problem. Good luck
I understand what your saying. But since mine works perfectly some times, I would doubt that it would be a worn out gear problem. But i guess anything is possible. Did your top stop working all together ? Or was the problem intermittent when you replaced the latch assembly ?
Old 03-04-2018, 02:54 PM
Randy_in_MD
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Thjanks Randy....but we don't have a manual top....any suggestions that might help us all out ??.....

Two actually...

Remove and modify whatever parts are necessary to convert your power top to manual

And/or

Make sure the next convertible you buy has a manual top.

Last edited by Randy_in_MD; 03-04-2018 at 03:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DangYankee64 (03-14-2020)
Old 03-05-2018, 11:22 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

NAH.....that makes about as much sense as screen doors in a submarine...LOL. I suppose your next suggestion would be to trade my Victory red unit in for some boring color like blue, grey or silver...........
John 511 (02-27-2022)
Old 03-05-2018, 12:27 PM
Randy_in_MD
Burning Brakes

NAH.....that makes about as much sense as screen doors in a submarine...LOL. I suppose your next suggestion would be to trade my Victory red unit in for some boring color like blue, grey or silver...........

I'll take boring...as boring as a C6 vert can be...in exchange for being less visible to law enforcement.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:42 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

I'll take boring...as boring as a C6 vert can be...in exchange for being less visible to law enforcement.
Well then....I guess we won't even get into why you want to be less visible to Johnny Law when cruzing in your Corvette....??.....
Old 03-05-2018, 03:24 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts

Two actually...

Remove and modify whatever parts are necessary to convert your power top to manual

And/or

Make sure the next convertible you buy has a manual top.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ohRvpDvPgjU

Randy, let me guess, your car has a manual top? I tend to agree with you about the potential problems the power top can have. I did have the manual top on my 67 stingray which worked the same way, and took seconds to put down or up, and the Vette power top is the epitome of laziness
Most of these cars were ordered with the 3LT option that included the power top. I would have bought my car either when looking. Saying that, I love the power top on my car, and if it breaks, I'll deal with it along with the many other things, systems that can go wrong when the time comes! Getting stressed over potential problems is bad for your health
Old 03-05-2018, 04:38 PM
Randy_in_MD
Burning Brakes

Well then....I guess we won't even get into why you want to be less visible to Johnny Law when cruzing in your Corvette....??.....

Fair enough. In that case I won't try to get to the bottom of why you need to "peacock" in a bright red C6.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:49 PM
Randy_in_MD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by marinablu67
! Getting stressed over potential problems is bad for your health
Well....we all gotta die of something.

Look, I've had cars with manual tops (Mercury Capri, Jeep wrangler, Corvette) and cars with power tops (Eclipse Spyder, Mustang, XK8). I never really had a problem with any of them.

After my horrifying experience with a CLS550...any and everything that could go wrong did go wrong...I have become risk averse. If I can avoid a potential problem I try my best to do that.

You want a power top, knock yourself out. I'm just stating that the easiest way to avoid issues with a power top are not to have a power top. There are three ways this can be accomplished....

#1. Don't own a convertible

#2. Buy a convertible with a manual top

#3. Modify your power top to work as a manual top.
marinablu67 (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 05:37 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Fair enough. In that case I won't try to get to the bottom of why you need to "peacock" in a bright red C6.
Oh i'm not ashamed at all to justify my choice of colors. First and foremost, red is the second best looking color on a corvette....next to black. Second.....red is the best re-sell color by far. And just for the record...I agree completely with your assessment of power tops. I wish mine didn't have one, but when I was searching out my C-6 bout 7 years ago the only 3 must haves were color, very low mileage, and like new condition. The first car that met that criteria was mine. Didn't really want a p-top, but it had one. I don't regret buying the car now because the p-top is temperamental, I just chalk it up to just another one of those nagging things that bring to my attention just how cheaply these cars are made....sad to say.......
Old 03-05-2018, 05:59 PM
Randy_in_MD
Burning Brakes

I'm sure your car is beautiful. So is my blue/grey/silver one. Plus it has a little gittey-up. On occasion I have been known to get on it...as the vast majority of us have. Otherwise we would all be on the Chevy Aveo Forum.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:12 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

BTW...6.5 years on this necropost. No time at all compared to that 10+ year old resurrected thread a week or so ago.
And if he started a new thread, there would be 15 guys telling him this has been asked before and to use the search function. Always the same guys. Apparently there is no correct way because after 13 years, EVERY question has been asked and answered. I feel bad for the new guys here and I know of two good people local to me who have been driven away because of this stuff.

Go ahead and flame me. I can take it.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:12 PM
Randy_in_MD
Burning Brakes

I wouldn't exert the time, effort or energy to flame you. Just get your facts straight before you lump me into the "same guys always" group. In nearly 700 posts this is maybe the second time I have ever referenced a necropost. The funny thing was that the first time was only about 10 days ago and it was the resurrection of a 10+ year old post. I truthfully don't care if they drag stuff up from 1953 when corvette forum was two guys talking on tin cans connected by string.

....and I was gonna end there but if the "two good guys" you know got driven away because of how someone answered a question on an online forum then they are either not really interested in the answer or they are as soft as wet bread.

Last edited by Randy_in_MD; 03-05-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:56 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

You are not one of those guys Randy. I just took this thread to show my opinion. The guys I saw driven out were actually pounded on because they did not know anything about the car and asked a stupid question. Soft, yes. Very soft.
I just don't understand some of these internet tough guys. You see it. We all see it. If somebody does not want to be a part of the next harmonic balancer thread, don't reply. Long time members taking the time to be an idiot and make some new guy feel dumb really pisses me off. Same guys do it over and over. That is all from me. Pretty over this whole thing myself. Sorry I made it sound like you were my target.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:14 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
You are not one of those guys Randy. I just took this thread to show my opinion. The guys I saw driven out were actually pounded on because they did not know anything about the car and asked a stupid question. Soft, yes. Very soft.
I just don't understand some of these internet tough guys. You see it. We all see it. If somebody does not want to be a part of the next harmonic balancer thread, don't reply. Long time members taking the time to be an idiot and make some new guy feel dumb really pisses me off. Same guys do it over and over. That is all from me. Pretty over this whole thing myself. Sorry I made it sound like you were my target.
Yea....you think this forums bad....you ought to see the Harley V-Twin forum.....
Diamonddave60 (02-26-2022)
Old 03-29-2018, 07:45 PM
Rustey
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing struts on a convertible lid on c6 Corvette.

How to I do this.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:26 PM
Mdbreeden
4th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Post video please...

Originally Posted by thunderglide
Guys I had this very problem. The Tonneau would close but not click down and shut off. I opened the top to reveal the cover where the latch assembly engages the pull down switch. These electric latches are used in a variety of GM trunks and Corvettes. They can be easily purchased and replaced. All you have to do is remove the cover where the motor latch assembly is located and check the gears. No surprise they are plastic and will wear out or get cracked and will never close again. I replaced mine with new one in about an hour and my top works like a charm. There are some plastic connectors along the sides of the waterfall where the latch is located and must be removed first before unscrewing the waterfall from the bracket. But it is really and easy repair. The dealer wanted $500 to replace it. The part is less than $200 on line. At least open the waterfall and remove the latch to check it out. Just my experience with the same problem. Good luck
sounds good but... can you or someone post a video of everything you just said. Like a step by step so there's no misunderstanding of what's been said. My 2011 GS top latch motor just runs and kills the battery. I've tried everything I can think of.
Thanks, Mark

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Convertible top problem

Old 02-25-2022, 06:50 PM
GTBKING
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the part number or name?

Thanks.
Old 02-27-2022, 10:07 PM
Trebor
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 157 Posts

This is an old post. But read through this other old post. It has the answer you seek:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-pictures.html
Old 02-28-2022, 05:55 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

After reading this thread, I am glad that I have a manual top, nothing to break!!

Quick Reply: C6 Convertible top problem