C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worste way to wake up for work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 04:32 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How long ago did you get the tires? It could either be an amazingly fortunate coincidence for the thieves looking to steal some older factory wheels with scuffs and they just happened to get brand new tires with them, Or someone at the tire shop checked your paperwork to see where you live knowing that you just bought brand new tires.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:28 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Make sure to check those rocker panels. Seeing that cement block under there makes me shutter.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:18 PM
Z-ZANY
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

MMike, What area of Ma. did this happen? I want to make sure I avoid it. You seem to be taking it pretty good. I would be out of my mind waking up to that scene. Good luck!
Old 08-24-2010, 06:52 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Locks by themselves won't help - it only adds a few seconds per lock to the time the thief needs.

Install an alarm + the Gorilla locks. The locks will require the scumbags to hammer a socket onto the lock to take it off. And hammering on the lug will set off the alarm. Knowing the alarm's going off (and possibly notifying the owner), and that they have to take a longer time to take the wheels off, most thieves will move along.

The alarm doesn't have to be expensive or elaborate. Just a good basic alarm with a shock sensor, that you'd set at night when you leave the car parked. Maybe with a two way remote (so you can be notified and shine a 1,000,000 candlepower spotlight in the direction of the car).

Alarms don't stop theives from smashing the window and grabbing things. Locks don't stop theives from stealing wheels in the middle of the night. Combine the two and it's a really good deterrent.

BTW - I don't think the Vette comes standard with any type of shock sensor. A couple people have asked about that in these posts.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:51 PM
LionGS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that feeling. I found this outside my door (in my driveway!) about 18 months ago. This has been going on like crazy in my area. My TBSS had the stock rims/tires. I feel for ya.

Last edited by LionGS; 08-24-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:19 PM
vant
Burning Brakes

Mightymike, I have to say your attitude is better than I would have expected, all things considered. Good for you! And don't worry, I'm sure everything will be fixed like new before you know it.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:32 PM
carjo
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

BUMMER! Hate to see this happen again. So, what's the likelihood of you arranging to garage your car?
Old 08-25-2010, 12:35 AM
Loaded08
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully your comp deductible isn't too high and you come out ahead. Have receipts for the tires? Factory wheels have got to be spendy...
Old 08-25-2010, 12:55 AM
MLS277
Instructor

just so dishonest, the car isnt yours, dont touch it. this makes me think twice about buying a flashy car and parking it outside even though im in a nice neighborhood, looks like it can happen right in the middle of an apartment complex with 100s of people around.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:46 AM
mightymikek83
Intermediate

Ok I got pictures of the car going up. This tow cost $600.00 bills! lol I'm glad it's taken care of though. I went to Chevy and they couldn't believe a corvette was coming in on a flat bed and all were so shocked when they found out the wheels were stolen in the town I lived in.

So it def tells you that it doesn't matter where you live, or how safe your neighborhood is. If someone wants something, they'll get it.

I'm def putting my car in a garage. I have one for the winter, but I'm going to rent it now full time, I'm not risking this again.

enjoy!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5444884_n.jpg

that last photo is my rocker panel.

I'll post my new wheels once I get em. I'm keeping the bone stock wheels just because I like this car stock except when I get a new exhaust this winter.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:17 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 142 Posts

You know, with all the electronic gadgets on this car, I'm simply amazed GM didn't add a shock and tilt sensor to the alarm system. Even my 02 Pontiac Trans Am had one on it from the factory. What was GM thinking when they left it off?

The way these cars attract vandals and thieves, I find it unbelievable that GM didn't put a better alarm system on them at the factory. It should at least be able to sense if someone is jacking or rocking the car.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:47 AM
vant
Burning Brakes

Why didn't they just put some temporary wheels on the car instead of using a crane?
Old 08-25-2010, 09:53 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Originally Posted by vant
Why didn't they just put some temporary wheels on the car instead of using a crane?
Cause then they couldn't have charged some outrageous fee for towing?
Old 08-25-2010, 09:58 AM
VettinFan
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:05 AM
johnnyquest
Instructor

Wow...what a shame. I'm sure the cops are on the case (not). Enjoy your new wheels.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:06 AM
STEVE MC
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow that was some rigg.

Looks like they were very careful with your Vette.

Good luck getting her fixed up.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:09 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by VettinFan
Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking.
interesting. Heck I would have called up a vette buddy local to me, put his car on jack stands borrowed the wheels and drove it to get new ones or put the car in a garage somewhere up on stands until the new wheels came.

I guess though the way the car was sitting on those blocks could be tricky and dangerous trying to jack it up.

Sorry to the OP man, that really sucks! Hope you get your new wheels soon.

Get notified of new replies

To Worste way to wake up for work.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:11 AM
carjo
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Mightymikek83- Your car will love you for it and the peace of mind you'll get is priceless.

Save the Wave
Old 08-25-2010, 11:29 AM
mightymikek83
Intermediate

I was thinking the same thing before I called the tow, but once the tow guy got here and said I need to get the crane because there is no other way to tow it. I didn't know anybody with a vette that was around. I could have probably called the dealership and ask if they can bring me some extra wheels they might have but I was just in the moment and wanted to get that car off those blocks and into the shop.

It's all covered under insurance, still sucks it had to go through all that but it would have sucked even more if I tried to get this going on my own and I ruined it somehow and falls on me

So needless to say it's there at the dealership and getting worked on as we speak. I just gotta wait for it to be finished and I'll be cruising in no time

---

I live in Agawam, MA and it's a small suburb off of Springfield,MA which is a crime filled city. So those idiots must of crossed over the bridge to get into my town and have a field day with my scuffed up bone stock used vette rims and enjoyed the new tires.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:39 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

I was looking at some new car alarms that have the capability to take photos when the sensors are tripped. I'm thinking this might be a good investment.

It's too bad that the TMPS sensors in your wheels can't be tracked like a GPS phone can.

Quick Reply: Worste way to wake up for work.