C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CTS-V Recaro seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 10:34 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Trout-44
Well here goes
I now have a 2010 CTS-V automatic with recaros and a 2009 C6 M6 with the Z51 option.

Here are pictures of both:

The following shows the original CTS with the C6

I have tracked the corvette and have not nor will not track the Cadillac.

I had a 2080 CTS with the stock seats and summer performance package. Thought the car was great but the seats were unacceptable. One of the big reasons for trading up to the CTS-V was the seats. Now they are offered as an option on a standard CTS. I drive the CTS-V as my daily driver. Everyone that has been in the passenger seat loves the Recaros including my wife. She loves the adjustable bolster behind the knees.

The corvette is an awesome car and on the track it is super (Mid Ohio and Beaverun). Can not say the same thing about the seats on the track. I have to prop myself with my knees against the door and the center tunnel. On the other hand on the road - non track, I find the corvette seats more than adequate. I do think that they could improve the sport seats by just putting suede material in the center of the seat back and bottom and leave the leather on the outside.( Now that I think about it I may try this on my own.) Paul what do you think?

Just my thoughts
FASCINATING
Old 10-23-2010, 08:37 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I have a 300hp awd fe2 CTS and a 08 Vette Z51. I dig the new CTS V coupe...but test drove it at Montecello Raceway for a few hours and as great as the CTS V coupe and sedan is...

The Vette still is a better sports car for fun. I like the lift off roof and the light weight of the corvette...even if the CTS V is its equal in acceleration...(or even a little faster) Its really about the same...

At some point I may need a 2 + 2 but as many years as I can get away with just a two seater targa top...I'm not giving it up.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming ATS V coupe rumored for 2013 /14...

The CTS V coupe is stunning and fast.......but its still not a corvette..

Its easier to get in and out of the CTS V and the seats as well as the ride are sweet..still at 51 years old...I'm not ready to give up the super styling or the sports car handling of the vette...

I'm happy with the 300hp CTS AWD Fe2 for the family and the LS3 manual C6 Z51 with NPP...for me ..

It was a close call though..(I even had the blessing of my better half to buy the CTS V coupe if I sold the vette) LOL ....I still couldn't bring myself to do it..

Last edited by JerriVette; 10-23-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:53 AM
bub
Safety Car

Received 198 Likes on 122 Posts

Regarding retrofitting the Recaro's, I'd be careful/suspicious about the side airbag interface (connector) being correct?
Old 10-23-2010, 05:20 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I have a 300hp awd fe2 CTS and a 08 Vette Z51. I dig the new CTS V coupe...but test drove it at Montecello Raceway for a few hours and as great as the CTS V coupe and sedan is...

The Vette still is a better sports car for fun. I like the lift off roof and the light weight of the corvette...even if the CTS V is its equal in acceleration...(or even a little faster) Its really about the same...

At some point I may need a 2 + 2 but as many years as I can get away with just a two seater targa top...I'm not giving it up.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming ATS V coupe rumored for 2013 /14...

The CTS V coupe is stunning and fast.......but its still not a corvette..

Its easier to get in and out of the CTS V and the seats as well as the ride are sweet..still at 51 years old...I'm not ready to give up the super styling or the sports car handling of the vette...

I'm happy with the 300hp CTS AWD Fe2 for the family and the LS3 manual C6 Z51 with NPP...for me ..

It was a close call though..(I even had the blessing of my better half to buy the CTS V coupe if I sold the vette) LOL ....I still couldn't bring myself to do it..
Even though it is not CTS-V having both of what you already have is a good thing.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:15 PM
nazab
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kev1949
Took a cts coupe out for test drive a couple of weeks ago. I don't know which seats it had but they were big and comfortable.
Would you consider buying the CTS V instead of your Corvette ?
What was your impression ?
Old 11-19-2010, 11:47 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by nazab
Would you consider buying the CTS V instead of your Corvette ?
What was your impression ?
Which CTS-V? the Sedan or the Coupe. I would think the Coupe would be comparable. But for me I get the Sedan because already have a sportscar and the CTS-V comes across as that of a sports type car and the sedan is more sedate opposite of Corvette so a good balance would be to have both.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:28 AM
Full Metal Jacket
Pro

Originally Posted by Trout-44
Well here goes
I now have a 2010 CTS-V automatic with recaros and a 2009 C6 M6 with the Z51 option.

Here are pictures of both:

The following shows the original CTS with the C6

I have tracked the corvette and have not nor will not track the Cadillac.

I had a 2080 CTS with the stock seats and summer performance package. Thought the car was great but the seats were unacceptable. One of the big reasons for trading up to the CTS-V was the seats. Now they are offered as an option on a standard CTS. I drive the CTS-V as my daily driver. Everyone that has been in the passenger seat loves the Recaros including my wife. She loves the adjustable bolster behind the knees.

The corvette is an awesome car and on the track it is super (Mid Ohio and Beaverun). Can not say the same thing about the seats on the track. I have to prop myself with my knees against the door and the center tunnel. On the other hand on the road - non track, I find the corvette seats more than adequate. I do think that they could improve the sport seats by just putting suede material in the center of the seat back and bottom and leave the leather on the outside.( Now that I think about it I may try this on my own.) Paul what do you think?

Just my thoughts
Nice cars Trout.. But being in Pittsburgh, what do you drive in the winter? YOu have two rear wheel drive beasts!!! I wish i had your problem..

Dont tell us you put winter tires on the Vette!??
Old 11-21-2010, 10:21 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by stone150
what is you gas mileage in the V vs the vette?
I apologize for the slow response, I've not been monitoring the C6 forum.

Stock for Stock, my mileage comparisons are:
Back-Forth to Work (3 miles and over a dozen stop lights)
07 Vette - About 12.8-13.2
CTS-V - About 10.2

Highway travel:
07 Vette - 27 at 70 mph, 30 at 55 mph
CTS-V - 20

Last edited by 62Jeff; 11-21-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:19 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

QUOTE=62Jeff;1575997952]I apologize for the slow response, I've not been monitoring the C6 forum.

Stock for Stock, my mileage comparisons are:
Back-Forth to Work (3 miles and over a dozen stop lights)
07 Vette - About 12.8-13.2
CTS-V - About 10.2

Highway travel:
07 Vette - 27 at 70 mph, 30 at 55 mph
CTS-V - 20[/QUOTE]

So you notice a big difference?
Old 11-21-2010, 11:21 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LS WON
So you notice a big difference?
A big difference in what?
Old 11-22-2010, 05:54 AM
Trout-44
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '14

Originally Posted by Full Metal Jacket
Nice cars Trout.. But being in Pittsburgh, what do you drive in the winter? YOu have two rear wheel drive beasts!!! I wish i had your problem..

Dont tell us you put winter tires on the Vette!??
No....
I have Winters on the V and drive it though the winter... on really bad days I have a Jeep....
Put the C6 away for the winter..

One man's solution
Old 11-22-2010, 08:16 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
A big difference in what?
Gas mileage and costs.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:06 AM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You just gave me a great idea for a Christmas present for my wife. She loves silver.
[/QUOTE]
Old 11-22-2010, 09:55 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LS WON
Gas mileage and costs.
Guess I still don't understand the question. My mileage differences stock for stock, are posted in the message to which you replied. The CTS-V got a few MPG less than the stock 07 vette. I put 93 Octane in both cars so the fuel costs the same per gallon.

Now, the data I posted above was stock-for-stock. In August I supercharged the corvette so my fuel mileage in the vette in non-stock form is now about the same as the CTS-V.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:15 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

We keep believing the statements about how hard (expensive) it is to offer different seats in a car, but once again another car is now going to be offered with Recaros as an option - the new Mustang Boss 302. Heck, the Chevy Cobalt was offered with Recaros!

I'm not sure I believe how much trouble or expensive it is to offer different seats. Besides, there are plenty of C6's sitting around dealers collecting dust, and the plant is on life support. Even if they do have to crash one or two (which I'm skeptical of), whats the big deal? Apparently its not a big deal for other cars. You might be surprised at the number of cars that offer different seats in their sport models.

Even my 2006 Infiniti M45 had different bolstering because it had the "sport" package.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:25 AM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

So will any Recaro seat fit in a C6?
Old 11-22-2010, 09:28 PM
RLJ676
Instructor

Originally Posted by sublime1996525
So will any Recaro seat fit in a C6?
No. Too tall/wide.

The corvette requires a seat that is very low, with narrow tracks. The options out there that will drop in are very few and far between.

Get notified of new replies

To CTS-V Recaro seats

Old 11-22-2010, 09:32 PM
RLJ676
Instructor

Originally Posted by jschindler
We keep believing the statements about how hard (expensive) it is to offer different seats in a car, but once again another car is now going to be offered with Recaros as an option - the new Mustang Boss 302. Heck, the Chevy Cobalt was offered with Recaros!

I'm not sure I believe how much trouble or expensive it is to offer different seats. Besides, there are plenty of C6's sitting around dealers collecting dust, and the plant is on life support. Even if they do have to crash one or two (which I'm skeptical of), whats the big deal? Apparently its not a big deal for other cars. You might be surprised at the number of cars that offer different seats in their sport models.

Even my 2006 Infiniti M45 had different bolstering because it had the "sport" package.
How many new cars would it sell do you really think? Now consider the $5 mil in development costs, and $5 mil in new tooling (which is conservative if doing a new structure, which is necessary to get big changes). So how many new car sales would $10 mil of investment get you........

The difference with those other programs is the cost of the additional seats was accounted for early in the program, and amortized accordingly in the business case.

GM is listening and knows the desires.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:53 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by RLJ676
How many new cars would it sell do you really think? Now consider the $5 mil in development costs, and $5 mil in new tooling (which is conservative if doing a new structure, which is necessary to get big changes). So how many new car sales would $10 mil of investment get you........

The difference with those other programs is the cost of the additional seats was accounted for early in the program, and amortized accordingly in the business case.

GM is listening and knows the desires.
First of all, where are you getting your numbers? $5 million for tooling costs for seats???? If that is the case then I now understand why GM was losing so much money. Ditto "development" costs. Maybe you should try to figure out how companies like Caravaggio and Pratt & Miller are making money selling the seats they make for Corvettes. Do you really think they can sell enough seats to cover $10mm in costs to develop and tool for their new seats?

Second, how do you figure the Recaros were built into the Mustang's original program? The current Mustang was introduced the same year as the C6 Corvette. Besides, what difference does it make when they figured it in - they are charging for the seats as part of the Boss 302 option package.

You are assuming in your statement that the seats would be made standard equipment and would have to increase the sales of the Corvette to pay for themselves. From everything I've read on the forum, most folks are fine with the idea of paying extra for them as an option.

Last edited by jschindler; 11-22-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:06 PM
RLJ676
Instructor

Originally Posted by jschindler
First of all, where are you getting your numbers?

Second, how do you figure the Recaros were built into the Mustang's original program? The current Mustang was introduced the same year as the C6 Corvette. Besides, what difference does it make when they figured it in - they are charging for the seats as part of the Boss 302 option package.

You are assuming in your statement that the seats would be made standard equipment and would have to increase the sales of the Corvette to pay for themselves. From everything I've read on the forum, most folks are fine with the idea of paying extra for them as an option.
I didn't throw in my normal disclaimer there....you won't find anyone more qualified to talk GM seats and costs here. I work in purchasing at GM, in seats (no I can't talk about any details of what is happening, I like my job).

It completely matters on when it is figured in, every car has a business case of material/development costs vs sales which sets the price for the car, etc. When the decision is made to add high cost seats, it is done up front (or needs to be to not be a loser!).

So assuming the new seats added no new material cost the tools/development would have to be paid back in incremental sales and pricing. I would not guess that there is a ton of people turning away simply because of the seats, and if they were willing to pay more for just better seats they could go aftermarket. So you increase the cost of the car for everyone, and maybe lose sales (people already complain about increased prices) to hopefully gain a few more sales. Odds of the business case working out is slim, so is it worth the investment in a current model?

This type of big change can be amortized over a new model run, and the crash testing is already being done so that is the time to do it.

Quick Reply: CTS-V Recaro seats