C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heavy Wheels vs Ride & Handling

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,063 Likes on 1,371 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Heavy Wheels vs Ride & Handling

There are a lot of standard-size wheels available for the C6, and the weight varies from one model to another. Tire weights can vary a lot, too. Here are my thoughts/questions about how the weight of the wheel (actually, weight of wheel + tire) affects ride and handling:

For ride comfort, I would expect a heavier wheel to be an improvement. The weight (inertia) of the wheel resists being bounced upward by an impact like a bump, so the wheel/tire moves more slowly and doesn't do a "wham" on the suspension as hard.

For handling, I would expect the heavier wheel/tire to be a disadvantage. It doesn't move up as fast when it hits a bump, but doesn't move down as fast to stay in contact with the pavement when you are just past the bump. Also, it has more gyroscopic affect when you try to turn.

For acceleration, the heavier wheel/tire is definitely a disadvantage, the commonly used numbers are that one pound of rotating mass has the same affect on acceleration as 6 - 10 pounds of non-rotating. Someone over in the Tech section did some tests and I think it was more like a 4 to 1 ratio, but still very significant.

Did I get this all right or not?
Old 09-11-2010, 06:07 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,951 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I'd say generally yes. But here's another thought: does the heavier tire and wheel combo somewhat overwhelm the capacity of the suspension system (not just shocks, but springs, sways, end links, etc.)?
Old 09-11-2010, 06:12 PM
vdaddy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Less (weight) is best in all respects.... unless it breaks.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:24 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vdaddy
Less (weight) is best in all respects.... unless it breaks.

Keep everything lean and mean.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:32 PM
AlfredMay
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will speak to the heavier equals a better ride aspect of your question. I believe you are incorrect. What you are discussing is termed unsprung weight and the more you have the worse the ride. You want as much weight as possible to be on the "good" or "sprung" side of the suspension. An extreme example would be an old fashioned horse drawn buckboard with no suspension, other than springs for the seats....... this equals a poor ride.

Get notified of new replies

To Heavy Wheels vs Ride & Handling

Quick Reply: Heavy Wheels vs Ride & Handling