C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Grand Sport Convertible vs. Porsche Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:10 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by need-for-speed

When is the last time you saw one of these on the street ?

Nobody's talking about a GT3 with "GT3" in big orange red letters on the fender, orange red wheels, and a bleacher seat on the back
I thought a GT3 was a 911...my bad it's actually a GT3 RS chief

Last edited by 05dsom; 09-17-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:22 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jschindler
We're laughing, but I'll bet he's "getting more" than we are
doubt it.

he should be driving this

Old 09-17-2010, 10:28 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HummelS
Those are absolutely the fugliest wheels ever created - by anyone. wtf were they thinking????

imho, of course....
all for aero benefit, kinda like F1 wheel fairings from last season.
still look stupid, but that car is

Last edited by 05dsom; 09-17-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:30 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Racer44
Boxter in it's rightful role

Proud Boxter owners....

Old 09-17-2010, 10:51 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer44
The ghey....err....I mean guy in the Boxters' scarf will be flapping in the wind too.
It is hard to tell which way the Boxster is supposed to go. Put some fake NASCAR headlights on the rear lights and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:08 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
It is hard to tell which way the Boxster is supposed to go. Put some fake NASCAR headlights on the rear lights and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:23 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Raazor
Gheyer than ghey
Old 09-17-2010, 11:50 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by JT Metal
If Porsche is what you want. Maybe you can upgrade in the used market. That is what I would do............Boxster is really pushing the bottom end of thier line up.
:iagree...and with a porsche most folks have no idea what year they are(i know i don't)
Old 09-18-2010, 01:40 AM
Ten-Zing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the OP is done with this thread but.

I just thought I had somewhat of a unique recent experience to this thread that brought me to post. A friend of mines father was a fairly well known Porsche racer and until recently owned and operated a well known high perf carbon fiber body parts business in CO. My friend his entire life has had access to more Porsches than most people. He was just in CO visiting family and was spending some time driving his brothers 997. Like I said, plenty of access to Porsches. I egged him on into considering getting a nice sports car, and on his latest trip his father agreed to sell him an old Boxster of his. Just a fun car to zip around home with.

Anyhow, he always sends me jabs about my Vette (06 MN6 Z51 vert) but had never ridden in it. Well, when he got home from his trip he got to go for a ride in the Vette. But now I notice the questions he was asking me said a lot more about the Porsches he was driving. Example...

So, this thing has no lag?
Is there different vette suspensions? Like is this a smoother one? (remember mine is Z51)
How much HP does this have?
What's the 0-60 in one of these?

He asked a few other ??'s and later just flat out admitted his bro's 997 was harsh for ride. We also passed a Murcielago on the freeway (orange) that thing was beautiful BTW. He asked me how I'd fare vs. the Murcielago! lol

I think he is more excited to go get his Boxster now for just the top down driving, but admits the Vette has more of what the 997 had without some of the drawbacks. (unmanageable boost kick, heavier, harsh ride) Then also talked about getting Boxster work done is insane just to reach the engine. But pointed out his Boxster has two trunks!

I honestly think he wants my Vette now.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:36 AM
lynxshooter
Instructor

Boxster?.... Really?!?
I traded an 01' C5 for a 10' GS last weekend and couldn't be happier. I did go to several dealers and test drove several cars, just to see if there was anything out there that compared to the performance and looks of the Vette. Nothing came close, IMHO.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:51 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,178 Posts

Originally Posted by lynxshooter
Boxster?.... Really?!?
I traded an 01' C5 for a 10' GS last weekend and couldn't be happier. I did go to several dealers and test drove several cars, just to see if there was anything out there that compared to the performance and looks of the Vette. Nothing came close, IMHO.
Your right...the one downside to owning a corvette is when its time to consider buying another sports car...You test drive many other brands for kicks and insight..and when you walk away from each and every test drive.....you just can't pass up on buying a new vette because they offer so much performance....and good looks..

I've tried....and just couldn't bring myself to settle for anything less than I already have.

I'm on my third vette in the past dozen years..

Nothing comes close to the performance, handling and acceleration....not to mention the good looks..

Of course to the original poster...if you don't care for the looks and can give up all the performance described above...then go for the boxster..

its a nice sports car even if its not in the same league performance wise as the corvette..

I truly hope the c7 is even more impressive as I look forward to buying the next generation when the mood strikes otherwise I'll just hold onto this ls3 436hp Z51 1lt with NPP for as long as it serves me...(which will probably last a couple hundred thousand miles with just oil changes and changes of tires)

Another big plus of the corvette is how easy it is to maintain and what that costs over the life of the vehicle..

Its the total package. IMO ......but the porsche boxster is nice too..(but not really in the same league)

Good luck deciding...
Old 09-18-2010, 11:47 AM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 866 Likes on 609 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by Stewart20
My bad. Wasn't directly aiming that towards you. I wanted to post pics of what you would more commonly see on the road to answer your post.

I'll be the first to agree that NEW Porsche's are way overpriced. My 996TT was an $80K car tops (it MSRP'd at $120K..and hell no, I didn't buy it new). My 997S stickered at $99,300 and it was IMO a $70K. I paid $52K with 20k miles.

How can you not tell the difference between a Boxster and a 911 from head on?... the headlight shape is entirely different in them.
I believe you in that YOU can tell the difference. What Jim was saying that most people could not and I agree.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:35 PM
7thgeneration
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

According to an episode of Two And A Half Men when Charlie's brother Alan purchased a Boxster he indeed found out that THEY ARE A CHICK CAR !
Old 09-18-2010, 08:39 PM
budmont
Drifting

Location: hamilton nj "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your going to buy a Porsche, buy a real one, otherwise GS. If you get the Porsche, you better have deep pockets when you take it in for service.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:49 PM
JerG
Pro

Oh, one more jab at the Porsche Boxster S: Have you ever seen the interior door handle...a red fabric strap, a "weight saving measure." Media constantly complains about the C6 interior and not a word about this...

Jerry
Old 09-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Mike V.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Boxster just won best handling car in US from CD or MT

or one of the major mags. Recs. were <$100K, not sure what else. Went against Z06, Lotus Elise, Mazda RX8, & several others but nothing exotic. Testing appeared somewhat subjective, but still came out on top.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:13 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Mike Villareale
or one of the major mags. Recs. were <$100K, not sure what else. Went against Z06, Lotus Elise, Mazda RX8, & several others but nothing exotic. Testing appeared somewhat subjective, but still came out on top.
and don't forget the run away victory for the 14th straight year in the annual ghey sports car awards.
Check it out. http://www.supergheysocalledsportscarawards.com

Get notified of new replies

To 2011 Grand Sport Convertible vs. Porsche Boxster S

Old 09-19-2010, 01:57 AM
cnw
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Everyone is certainly having fun with this. It is always fun to rib. I have laughed and grinned my way through. Like to see the photos.

I love my GS. Even so, Porches are fine cars, as well. Great lines. Outstanding performance. Now is when I should go into the one liners, but I am not going to. Just like see others having at it.

Enjoy. And don't take any of it too seriously. It is all good fun.

I had a fellow pull up next to me at the Post Office the other day. He was driving a brand new Nissan GT-R. Sat there staring. When I got out, he said, "Sure looks good."

I responded, "Hey, you are driving a pretty nice machine yourself."

He said, "Not like this." Mind you, I was in my 2001 Vert. He asked the price. I told him it was not new, but that I had been pricing GSs. When I mentioned the going price, his jaw dropped. He recoiled, "I paid $82K for mine. I had no idea."

I walked into the Post Office and said, "Enjoy your GT-R. It is a pretty color."

For the money, nothing beats a Vette. The Vette is in a league all to itself. The styling. The performance. The people.

Craig
Old 09-19-2010, 05:10 AM
C6-XTSY
Racer

The posts in this thread are hilarious.

Boxster S specs:
0-60: 4.1 seconds
0-100: 10.3 seconds
1/4 mile: 12.6 seconds @ 110

Boxster is plenty fast.

The Grand Spork will beat the Boxster S in a straight line but judging by the amount of slow driving, automatic wielding vette owners I see on the road a few tenths won't matter. A tweaked Mustang can beat a vette in a straight line. Big deal. It's the overall driving experience that matters unless you spend your time driving on a track for money.

Handling is better in a Boxster than a vette. Especially in turns that are bumpy where the vette's rear end gets skittish due to leaf springs.

Steering, braking, and shifting feel is miles better in a Boxster than a vette. You won't find any review from any reputable source say otherwise.

Mid-engine handling feel in the Boxster trumps front-engine vette and even rear-engine 911.

Fit and finish is miles better in a Boxster than a vette.

Boxster has better weight balance 46F/54R than a vette 51F/49R (hint: more weight in the back means better hookup on acceleration and better balance on braking). 50/50 weight distribution only looks good on paper.

Seats are light years better in a Boxster unless you're an overweight old man, in which case you're in the demographic the vette seats were designed for. This is not a put down but a fact. To be fair, the seats probably make it easier to get in while wearing the gold chains and member's only jackets as well.

4 year warranty for the Boxster is better than vette's 3 year warranty.

Sevice at Porsche is miles better than any Chevy dealer. And you'll see less of the service bay in the Boxster judging from the posts here regarding the vette's build quality.

The Boxster is universally praised as one of the very best driving cars available by the motoring press. Hardly any car has received such unanimous praise. Certainly not the vette.

As for the Boxster being a poor man's Porsche, that's pretty funny considering the GS is a poor man's Z06. And a Z06 is a poor man's ZR1. And all vettes share, among other things, a steering wheel with a Malibu.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:08 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by JerG
Oh, one more jab at the Porsche Boxster S: Have you ever seen the interior door handle...a red fabric strap, a "weight saving measure." Media constantly complains about the C6 interior and not a word about this...

Jerry
Actually that's just the Boxster Spyder, and stripped down version.

Quick Reply: 2011 Grand Sport Convertible vs. Porsche Boxster S