C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coupe top removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 09:20 AM
white top
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default coupe top removal

I never remove my targa top wondering if anyone out also does not remove the top.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Tom's_03SVT
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I havent had mine long, but the top has only been off inside the Corvette Museum.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

I remove the top on my 06 about 2-3 times a year, for less than a day at a time. It stays under a carport, and rain is possible about any time, so the top doesn't stay off for long.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:49 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by white top
I never remove my targa top wondering if anyone out also does not remove the top.
After dropping mine (from my 06 coupe) costing me $1200 to replacement I NEVER took it off again. I now own a Z06 so that is no longer an issue for me.

And to be honest the cabin buffeting along with super hot and humid summers here in St Louis wasn't condusive to top down (I owned a vert too) or off with the exception of some nice Spring or Fall days.

Tom
Old 09-19-2010, 09:57 AM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Top comes off about 2-3 times a year, mostly in the early spring and late fall due to the heat and humidity. That said, I rarely run the A/C too so the windows are always down.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:01 AM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

take it off a lot. when its nice weather, for cruise ins and stuff. ive even taken it off for the trip to the gym which is 1.5 miles.. then put it on there. im usually running the transparent top when i do this.. and its way lighter than the solid top. but i do remove the solid one too... develop a technique and its really quite easy and of course you have to be careful. i always carry the top with me unless im going to the cruise in down the road in case something happens.. ie: car wont start, accident that requires it be towed.. (knock on wood..)... you never know. my wife can always get the neighbor to put the top in her yukon and bring it 2 miles down the road to me at the cruise in if needed LOL

Old 09-19-2010, 10:23 AM
chet b
Drifting

I had it off once to put the e-clips on to stop the noise. Chevy should do away with the removable top. If you want a convertible, buy one, just my 2-cents worth.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by chet b
I had it off once to put the e-clips on to stop the noise. Chevy should do away with the removable top. If you want a convertible, buy one, just my 2-cents worth.
The removable top is useless to me. Just causes annoying noises problems.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

My car doesn't see a lot of street use lately but I very much enjoy driving with the roof panel off....especially on those early morning or night drives. The roof panel is so easy to remove (and re-install) I often wonder why some C6 owners have never removed it. No matter...I enjoy the fresh air and the sky overhead when the weather's right and the mood hits me.

Originally Posted by chet b

The removable roof panel is a great feature. With the removable roof panel you don't have to sacrifice cargo space, safety, insulation, the ability to track your car, or the great lines of the coupe (in many people's opinion) simply to enjoy the sky overhead. The removable roof panel may not afford the full, open-air experience of a convertible but is suffices quite well for many. If you don't want to remove the panel don't but this wonderful feature should not be done-away with by Chevy.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:59 AM
sla07
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i take mine off as much as i can...the only time i wont is if its a short mile or 2 mile trip...i dont like leaving the car open like that and parked while im in a store or whatever...come winter time, it will come off a lot more because theres no rain to worry about
Old 09-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
My car doesn't see a lot of street use lately but I very much enjoy driving with the roof panel off....especially on those early morning or night drives. The roof panel is so easy to remove (and re-install) I often wonder why some C6 owners have never removed it. No matter...I enjoy the fresh air and the sky overhead when the weather's right and the mood hits me.

The removable roof panel is a great feature. With the removable roof panel you don't have to sacrifice cargo space, safety, insulation, the ability to track your car, or the great lines of the coupe (in many people's opinion) simply to enjoy the sky overhead. The removable roof panel may not afford the full, open-air experience of a convertible but is suffices quite well for many. If you don't want to remove the panel don't but this wonderful feature should not be done-away with by Chevy.
100%

I love having the transparent top and taking the top off, especially on a warm summer night. One thing I would worry about with a vert, is vandalism. I can imagine being on a road trip and having some moron slice the top in a motel parking lot on a rainy night.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:15 AM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More off than on. It's like a hardtop convertible. No flex when it's attached, and entirely the reason I didn't buy a Z06.

Question to expand on the subject:

when putting it back on - front latches first or rear latch?

Last edited by TNTC4VETTE; 09-19-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:16 AM
sla07
Melting Slicks

i do front latches first, then rear...would it make a difference?
Old 09-19-2010, 11:36 AM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ps. i never leave my off and leave the car parked someplace, even if i can see the car... you never know when some idiot might flick a cigarette but in there, or worse... and birds.. LOL...
Old 09-19-2010, 11:38 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Originally Posted by sla07
i do front latches first, then rear...would it make a difference?
That is how I do it.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:45 AM
sla07
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
ps. i never leave my off and leave the car parked someplace, even if i can see the car... you never know when some idiot might flick a cigarette but in there, or worse... and birds.. LOL...
birds

im waiting for that day to come with the top off....and a bird having digestive issues...
Old 09-19-2010, 11:45 AM
v8capt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really wanted a Vert, but my wife wanted the coupe. Guess who won? I take my top off just to look at it.
Capt Bob

Get notified of new replies

To coupe top removal

Old 09-19-2010, 11:59 AM
oldshore
Intermediate

I take it off (Lexan? top) almost every day in the summer; I really enjoy it. I don't like the look of the vert as much, and enjoy the extra trunk space when the top is on. I do the front latches first. It take me 40 sec or so to remove or replace the top by myself.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:08 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Right now my car is sitting in the garage.
The cover is on, the top off.
Once I adhered the loop side of hook and loop on the flat part of the front clip area, it stopped creaking and made things much more enjoyable. I do find that there's a lot of wind noise over 50mph.

To each his own:
A friend of mine had a C5 for 8 years and never removed the top. Not even once.
He sold the car to another friend of mine who took the top off the first day he had it.

Last edited by BSE1956; 09-20-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I have a 2007 and had the top off only a handful of times. With the top off I've found that 40mph is about all I can handle. Anything over that and the belt starts flapping, can't hear the radio. A lot of outdoor noise, etc. I guess I just prefer the quiet with the top on.

I just bought the transparent roof from Gene. It's the best of both worlds. Don't know what it's going to be like when the weather is sunny and temps in the 90's. I'll probably just put the painted roof back on. Just my own observations.

Quick Reply: coupe top removal