C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Top Adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 12:12 PM
Torch Ace
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vam
I noticed this on mine as well. No idea as to how to make adjustments to fix the problem with the mechanism. My "mickeymouse" solution is to reached back to pull the top forward before the tonneau cover closes/opens.
Pull your passenger seat forward an inch or so and problem will be gone.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:13 PM
Torch Ace
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CHUXDRM
I'm willing to try that, but what does the seat position have to do with power top movement or interference?

Thanks.
Did moving the seat forward correct the problem?
Old 07-08-2014, 10:01 PM
drich2905
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch Ace
Did moving the seat forward correct the problem?
I moved the seat today and it didn't help the top problem. Tonneau cover still hits the bottom of the glass trim on raising and lowering. Guess I'll try the mickey mouse method
Old 07-09-2014, 04:19 AM
vam
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drich2905
I moved the seat today and it didn't help the top problem. Tonneau cover still hits the bottom of the glass trim on raising and lowering. Guess I'll try the mickey mouse method
Same here, moving the passenger seat forward did not help either.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:40 AM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

Yes these are somewhat complicated tops for sure. I'm lucky no issues on my 05 power top.....I can only imagine what a pain it must be when problems arise on the top.....good luck and keep us posted.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:35 PM
Scott in IN
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

My 06 is way past the warranty period so I too use the mickey mouse method and it works just fine. I researched it a bit and looked at the top cords that need to (allegedly) be tightened to fix the problem. I could see that due to the complexity of the top changing the cord length could cause a bunch of other problems with the micro switches and such. Needless to say I left well enough alone and reach over and pull the glass back when I lower / raise the top. It's not a big deal at all....
Old 07-10-2014, 07:59 AM
drich2905
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott in IN
My 06 is way past the warranty period so I too use the mickey mouse method and it works just fine. I researched it a bit and looked at the top cords that need to (allegedly) be tightened to fix the problem. I could see that due to the complexity of the top changing the cord length could cause a bunch of other problems with the micro switches and such. Needless to say I left well enough alone and reach over and pull the glass back when I lower / raise the top. It's not a big deal at all....
I asked my wife to operate the top while I stood outside the car and watched the process. Even though the tonneau cover has been hitting the bottom edge of the glass for a couple of years I could not see any evidence of damage or even a scuff mark from the misalignment. The top is down on the car 90% of the time so I think the 'mickey mouse' method will work fine. Actually before this thread started I haven't been doing anything about it so it is no big deal for me since no damage has occurred in the last few years.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:13 AM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting responses about fixes. I was told by my dealer that there are a couple of elastic straps inside the top that stretch after so many operations of the top and that must be replaced to fix the problem. I was also told it required removing the entire top and essentially disassembling the entire top to get at and replace these straps. Then I was told it often only helps for a short time before it starts hitting again. sigh... My top began hitting (2012 GS vert) when it was only a few months old and after I had operated the top maybe 100 times???

Anyway, because the "fix" sounded so complicated and potentially not very effective, I learned to simply grab the bottom of the rear window part of the top (inverted at the time) as the tonneau cover comes by on either lowering or raising the top. I gently pull forward on this as the tonneau cover goes by. Doing that prevents it from ever hitting. What others here are calling the "mickeymouse solution".

Takes minimal effort on my part. I'm reticent to let the dealer tear the entire top apart when reports that I've read say even the new straps becoming just like the old in not very much time.

It's a problem that has apparently been around for a few years but GM seems not to try to create a permanent fix.

I had never before heard about chaning pistons in the tonneau cover itself??? Interesting.

But for now and I will give it more thought before my 3 year warranty runs out next year, I choose to not let them tear my entire top apart for what appears to be yet another temporary fix. Instead, I use my hand to pull the top slightly forward as the tonneau cover comes by. By the way, it's never once hit my fingers or anything like that... Easy to do.

bob

Last edited by diitto; 07-10-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:54 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

My first C6 was an 06 with the manual top. No problem at all. My '07 has a power top that I am convinced is a spawn of the Devil.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:58 PM
rgauchey
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vam
I noticed this on mine as well. No idea as to how to make adjustments to fix the problem with the mechanism. My "mickeymouse" solution is to reached back to pull the top forward before the tonneau cover closes/opens.
I do this also, it's a non issue. It's now a habit and I don't even think about it.

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Adjustments