C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS tool

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:54 AM
0CorvetteGuysGal
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, for a gasket and a nut???? I hate OEM manufacturers when they do that. It's a gasket and a nut for goodness sake! Do you really need to make a margin on that .... sheesh.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:56 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 836 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteGuysGal
..... Will have to talk to them about getting the '10 style sensors......
Tory

The sensors used on the 2010/2011 C6 have been used on dozens of GM vehicles since 2006, including Buicks, Cadillacs, Saturns, Pontiacs, Impalas, Malibus, Monte Carlos, etc.

The GM Part# for the 2010+ sensor is 15268606, and the Oro-Tek Part# for their sensor compatible with that is OSC-0158.

Take a look at their application info for OSC-0158 and you'll see the 2010+ C6 in there:

http://www.oro-tekusa.com/ProductApp...ProductID=1676

Bob
Old 10-07-2010, 11:34 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cclive
Bob, don't you have any pictures of the TIPS tool completely disassembled so we can see inside????

And I can't see how the programming of the system could be done without walking around the car because the car would have no way of knowing which sensor was in which location.
Sorry, Chris - no pictures of how to overhaul a TIPS Tool!!!

However, here's a picture for you :

You can see that the GM Part# (25758220) is molded into the front of the case, and on the rear there's a sticker with a barcode and an 8 digit ID# of the sensor, and each sensor has its own unique ID#.

Like you say, we walk around the car and trigger each sensor in turn to get them to transmit their data to the TPMS computer in the car, and the ID# is logged into the TPMS computer. When the TPMS computer receives transmissions from all the sensors, the ID# is included in the transmission so the TPMS will know which transmission corresponds to which wheel.

Some vehicles can have the sensor ID# logged into the TPMS by using their version of a Tech 2 - I'm not sure, but I don't think the GM Tech 2 can do that for GM vehicles.

I think that's what that tool that PeOR mentioned that Tire Rack now sells will do on Asian cars. You'd have to write down the sensor ID#s and make sure you know which one is installed on each corner of the car, then when you hook that tool up to the OBD II port and your computer, I guess you would have the capability to type in each sensor ID# and then log it into the TPMS memory position associated with which corner of the car where the sensor is located.

Anyway.....I think that ATEQ tool that Tire Rack currently sells will only work with the Asian manufactured vehicles listed in the ATEQ link I posted up - I don't think it will work with the C6.

But.....I know that you knew all that!!!

Bob
Old 10-07-2010, 03:08 PM
CopRodder
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

will the tips tool also work on my 08 avalanche
Old 10-07-2010, 03:56 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CopRodder
will the tips tool also work on my 08 avalanche
Yes. But....you may not need a tool for the Avalanche.

To my knowledge, ALL GM sensors will be triggered by a simple continuous wave transmission of the 125 kHz frequency that all tools transmit on.

Some sensors on other manufacturer's vehicles may require a pulsed/coded transmission from the tool - some with ASK (Amplitude Shift Keying), and some with FSK (Frequency Shift Keying).

Our 2005-2009 sensors require just a continuous wave transmission with no morse code type signal.

The 2010 and newer C6 sensors DO NOT need a tool. They can be triggered during the relearn procedure by changing air pressure in the tire (i.e., putting air in or letting air out of the tire for 15 or so seconds, or what ever it takes to get a honk of the horn).

I believe your Avalanche sensors will trigger with the change in pressure method as well. Here's the procedure for a 2008 Tahoe, and I think you have the same sensors. Your procedure for getting the truck into the "learn mode" may be different (instead of using the fob "lock" and "unlock" buttons, some GM vehicles have you turn the parking lights on/off several times, or some other procedure):

You have two minutes to match the first tire/wheel position, and five minutes overall to match all four tire/wheel positions. If it takes longer than two minutes, to match the first tire and wheel, or more than five minutes to match all four tire and wheel positions the matching process stops and you need to start over.

The TPMS sensor matching process is outlined below:

1.Set the parking brake.
2.Turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN with the engine off.
3.Press the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter's LOCK and UNLOCK buttons at the same time for approximately five seconds. The horn sounds twice to signal the receiver is in relearn mode and TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message displays on the DIC screen.
4.Start with the driver side front tire.
5.Remove the valve cap from the valve cap stem. Activate the TPMS sensor by increasing or decreasing the tire's air pressure for five seconds, or until a horn chirp sounds. The horn chirp, which may take up to 30 seconds to sound, confirms that the sensor identification code has been matched to this tire and wheel position.
6.Proceed to the passenger side front tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5.
7.Proceed to the passenger side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5.
8.Proceed to the driver side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5. The horn sounds two times to indicate the sensor identification code has been matched to the driver side rear tire, and the TPMS sensor matching process is no longer active. The TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message on the DIC display screen goes off.
9.Turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF.
10.Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure level as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label.
11.Put the valve caps back on the valve stems.

A tool will also trigger the 2010+ C6 sensors or your Avalanche sensors, but you don't need one - however you'll need a compressor/air source to pump the tires up after the procedure is complete.

Good luck!!

Bob
Old 10-08-2010, 10:15 AM
0CorvetteGuysGal
Former Vendor

Bob - you, sir, are a wealth of knowledge.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,377 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by cclive
It is an important point that this set of sensors comes with the gasket and the nut....the GM ones are sold as three separate items and can add to the price quite a bit.
I bought a set of sensors from Fichtner last month, the gasket (O-ring) comes free with the sensor, but the nut is a separate part.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:30 PM
CopRodder
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the info. no tool needed on the avalanche.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:59 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default ATEQ Vt5

Spent the afternoon trying to understand what I need to do to add TPMS to a set of used wheel I just brought. Special thanks to BEZ06 for all the info, he has earned a PhD in TPMS

Hopefully this isn't old news (I only searched this section) but I just noticed TireRack sells a TPMS tool that works with the Corvette:

ATEQ VT5

Old 01-23-2011, 10:16 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 142 Posts

I bought the ATEQ VT10 from Tire Rack last year for about $100, but I see now that ATEQ has replaced it with the VT-15. I haven't seen prices on the VT-15 yet as it appears to be pretty new still, but if you can find a left over VT-10 I suspect you could get a good deal on one. The VT-10 can be supposedly be used on any vehicle with tire pressure sensors. It even works on my motorcycles with TPMS in them.

That VT-5 posted above also looks like an economical solution if all you want it for is Corvette wheels.

Last edited by CSixDude; 01-23-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:28 AM
0CorvetteGuysGal
Former Vendor

We had the VT-10 and should be carrying the VT-5 shortly.

According to our supplier, it has a wider range of applications than those listed on the Tire Rack site - I don't have a list of the applications for the VT-10 readily available, but I'd suspect they are substantially similar, if not exactly similar.

I think you may have typo'ed, Fred H., as it looks like TireRack is offering the VT-5, not a "VT-15", unless I'm overlooking something?

Also, for C5 owners (duly noted this is the C6 section), but I bet that ATEQ magnet will work for a whopping $15.

Hope that helps....
Old 01-24-2011, 11:37 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteGuysGal
We had the VT-10 and should be carrying the VT-5 shortly.

According to our supplier, it has a wider range of applications than those listed on the Tire Rack site - I don't have a list of the applications for the VT-10 readily available, but I'd suspect they are substantially similar, if not exactly similar.

Looks like the VT-5 works with all current TPMS

http://www.ateq-tpms.com/TPMS-tool-ATEQVT5.php

Quick Reply: TPMS tool