C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012, any rumors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:31 AM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

Assuming the C7 release date is '13-'14 it will be interesting to see how sales on the current model hold up once there is a 'confirmed' date for the introduction, as they're not sufficient to keep BG busy even now. Building 'commemoratives' and other 'special editions' of a current car that's getting long in tooth can only go so far, as evident with the '09 GT1 models that didn't even reach their limited production targets. Competition from other vehicles and the aging of current 'Vette owners does not help the situation. I've had the first year (with early build #'s) cars from C4-C5-C6 production and will likely do the same with a C7, first year issues be damned! In the meantime, I'll hang on to the '05 as a few new color choices or interior trim will not lure me into another upgrade within the same generation. I did that with an '89 and '03 after having an '84 and '97. The newer versions had improvements, to be sure, but didn't have that totally 'new' feel to them driving home.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:55 AM
DriverC6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess: The C7 will debut as a 2014 model with a 60th Anniversary special edition in 2013 for the last C6 model year.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by N2TU
"NEVER, EVER buy a 1st year new model line from a car company. You will become their test mule. "

in spades!
In aviation, we used to say
"Never fly the 'A' model of anything!"
Old 10-12-2010, 01:05 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

A friend of mine recently returned from BG where he was told by an official at the plant that, becuase the 30 year lease ends in 2011, they will not renew the lease but will move production to the Lansing, MI plant. This is because the BG plant is much too big for the production of one vehicle (the XLR has been canceled) and production costs will decrease in Michigan. This has not been officially announced as of yet. Because of this, I believe that if there is a 2012 model year Corvette, it will be the last C6 and it will be produced in BG in 2011.
The Lansing plant will be tooled for the 2013 C7 to be introduced in the fall of 2012. This will also be the 50th anniversary of the Stingray, and the C7 will be called a Stingray (possibly with a split window coupe).
The last C6, 2012 model year, will have almost nothing new from 2011.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

Oh boy...after reading all these posts let's all go jump off a cliff!
What a bunch of "crepe hangers"!!
Old 10-12-2010, 01:34 PM
JC7
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
A friend of mine recently returned from BG where he was told by an official at the plant that, becuase the 30 year lease ends in 2011, they will not renew the lease but will move production to the Lansing, MI plant. This is because the BG plant is much too big for the production of one vehicle (the XLR has been canceled) and production costs will decrease in Michigan. This has not been officially announced as of yet. Because of this, I believe that if there is a 2012 model year Corvette, it will be the last C6 and it will be produced in BG in 2011.
The Lansing plant will be tooled for the 2013 C7 to be introduced in the fall of 2012. This will also be the 50th anniversary of the Stingray, and the C7 will be called a Stingray (possibly with a split window coupe).
I bet your right!I have heard the samething, time will tell...
Old 10-12-2010, 01:41 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

There have been rumors of the BG/Lansing move posted over the last few months. The big loser in that deal would be the NCM, as museum deliveries would not take place and the plant tours not being held nearby would cut into museum attendance as well. Not what many want to happen, but it certainly could...
Old 10-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Bat Man
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I'll start one. I think the Z06 and ZR1 are on the endangered list. Both of them are stone cold in the sales department right now. I'd guess one won't survive.

Other changes???? There was a strong rumor (from pretty good sources) that the C6 would get a new dash for 2010. The economy probably killed that. The problem now is that the C6 is coming to the end of its run. I find it hard to believe they will incorporate any changes that have much development and tooling cost if there is only one or two years left in the run.

The other possibility is that they could decide to do what they did with the C4. They could extend the run another 3-4 years and make more significant changes such as the interior.
The ZO6 is probably more on the endangered list than the ZR1. Z06 sales are just horrid in the past 2 years.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nah, that can't be true it would make too much sense.

Kinda sux for the museum delivery though. I mean they could still do it but you wouldn't have the factory across the street where they could take it back and do any last minute fixes. Plus the cars get dirty in transit and you couldn't do the factory tour the same day as delivery. I wonder if Kentucky would keep the vette as the state sports car?
Old 10-12-2010, 04:10 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
In aviation, we used to say
"Never fly the 'A' model of anything!"
Oh does that bring back memories or my other favorite "with enough thrust you can make a pig fly".

Tom
USAF Retired
Old 10-12-2010, 07:10 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantom
I doubt the ZR1 will be dropped. That is what the Corvette race car is based upon. To race in GT2 don't they have to have a production version?
They could always use the GS.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:57 PM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantom
I doubt the ZR1 will be dropped. That is what the Corvette race car is based upon. To race in GT2 don't they have to have a production version?
the lemans car doesnt have to be connected to the ZR1. cause the GT2 car is not a ZR1. they could just sell base model vettes and still race that same car.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:34 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by Zoomin
The plant has extra room since the XLR was discontinued, and they've decided to bring frame manufacturing in-house. They can engineer in structurl changes to accommodate the targa and vert.

My prediction stands.
dude, what's with the hammer ?
Old 10-12-2010, 09:40 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep. The Bowling Green plant will shut down and no longer produce the Corvette. It is costing GM tons of money and the Corvette is not selling enough to justify it being open.

Remember, GM just killed Pontiac and years ago, they killed the Oldsmobile. Olds was their oldest line, over 100+ years old, they killed it. GM has no "loyalty" to its lines, it will do what it believes brings in $$$. Even if that might mean killing the Corvette for a couple of years. They did it to the Camaro.

While GM might not kill the Corvette, they will shut down BG after 2011. Producing 10,000 units of the C6 cannot justify BG's existence. I have no doubt.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:02 PM
toomuchcar
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LBear

As one engineer told me, NEVER, EVER buy a 1st year new model line from a car company. You will become their test mule.
I am an engineer and I don't buy until after TWO years production! Only the worst problems can or will be fixed in the first year unless they were seen well before product release. The C5 was particularly clean given the protracted pre-production state it was in, but it still had problems (window regulator jams, steering lock, headlight bucket port covers falling out, all of which I had with my 1999).

There is lots of evidence of the direct injected engine coming, I expect to see that before the C7.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:04 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
Originally Posted by Zoomin
My prediction stands.
dude, what's with the hammer ?

Old 10-12-2010, 10:33 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by toomuchcar
I am an engineer and I don't buy until after TWO years production! Only the worst problems can or will be fixed in the first year unless they were seen well before product release. .
That is exactly what my engineer friend said. Although he usually waits 3 years before he buys a changed model line. Even if the C7 comes out in 2013. I would not buy one until 2015 or later.

Weird issues come up that the manufacturer can not foresee, only when the car gets driven by thousands of people for thousands of miles, do the problems come out.

He said that he would rather fly in a 5+ year production jet airplane, than a brand new design.

How about this 1st ever, computer automated airplane design ever flown?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kHa3WNerjU

Last edited by LBear; 10-12-2010 at 10:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2012, any rumors?

Old 10-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

This story has come up before, recently, and denied by people who should know.

But, the lease ending in 2011 would lend credence to the story, can anyone confirm or refute that?

OTOH, the C7 being out in two years sounds very unlikely, unless it is just a warmed-over C6. Which could be a very good car...
Old 10-12-2010, 10:44 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LBear
That is exactly what my engineer friend said. Although he usually waits 3 years before he buys a changed model line. Even if the C7 comes out in 2013. I would not buy one until 2015 or later.

Weird issues come up that the manufacturer can not foresee, only when the car gets driven by thousands of people for thousands of miles, do the problems come out.

He said that he would rather fly in a 5+ year production jet airplane, than a brand new design.

How about this 1st ever, computer automated airplane design ever flown?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kHa3WNerjU
What a friggen wimp. 3 yrs before you buy a generation car? The engineers you know must not feel very confident in their work.
Following your twisted logic all 3 of the first years of anything manufactured should be burned. Plenty of us are driving around in '05 Corvettes and lovin' it! I've never had one real issue with mine. Get a grip.

Last edited by vettedoogie; 10-12-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:17 AM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
What a friggen wimp. 3 yrs before you buy a generation car? The engineers you know must not feel very confident in their work.

Why are you insulting all the engineers here on the forum? Are you filling in for Racer44? Don't be such an a**munch!

Originally Posted by toomuchcar
I am an engineer and I don't buy until after TWO years production!
You owe him an apology...

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
Following your twisted logic all 3 of the first years of anything manufactured should be burned. Plenty of us are driving around in '05 Corvettes and lovin' it! I've never had one real issue with mine. Get a grip.
I never said that all 3 of the first years of cars should be burned. That is a STRAWMAN you came up with.

You need to take a chill, Mr. Racer44 wanna-be. Are you VetteDoogie the insult clown of the Corvette forum?

Last edited by LBear; 10-13-2010 at 04:23 AM.

Quick Reply: 2012, any rumors?