C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 HVAC Mode Door - How Common?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Wilzer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 HVAC Mode Door - How Common?

2005 C6 Coupe HVAC Mode door Problem

Finally the passenger side HVAC completely stopped working but emitting really hot air. No mode operation for some time, thought I could live with the issue and the outside condensation would go away if you fine tuned the temp so it was not too cold blowing on the windshield from inside. Now can't live with the blast of hot air from the right. Funny, the left, driver side, works but no mode change.

Took it to Tony and he researched it and the mode door apparently is shot, the actuators seem to be spinning but may need replacing while he is in there since it will need the dash mostly disassembled. Told him to replace all the actuators while he has the dash torn down. Will keep updating findings.

There isn't much information out there on the mode door for C6s and the dealers don't have the part in stock so it would appear that it is not common, but, I am thinking it may be more common since you wouldn't notice if you had the top off or the vert top down and since a lot of vettes are only taken out of the garage, washed and returned to the garage, there isn't much time to notice. There may be a lot of folks that either don't notice or just live with the problem since the default position works after a fashion.

Is this a sleeping problem that is waking up, since mine is a 2005?
Old 11-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

It seemed more common on the C5's, but maybe that's because there were more of them and they are getting older.

In the last year, I've heard of a couple on the C6. It's said to be a difficult and time-consuming ($$$) project to replace one, so your idea to replace all might be a good one.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:49 PM
c1j1c2
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Glad I purchased the GMPP Extended warranty. I haven't had to do it, but for these specific scenarios, I'd rather pay the warranty than the labor work.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:57 PM
beaversstonehaven
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

The mode door on my C6 is working fine but I had to have the job done on my F-150. The job on the F-150 was no where near the nightmare that it is on the C6.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:32 PM
Wilzer
Instructor

So what color is the mode door on your C6? You may be looking at a replacement if it is orange. The newer part has a gray material that feels like it is more substantial.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:22 PM
RnLi
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe GM's service notes to the dealer technicians indicates to replace all actuators....as long as the dash is apart.

If I can find the bulletin, I'll post it.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Wilzer
Instructor

Originally Posted by RnLi
I believe GM's service notes to the dealer technicians indicates to replace all actuators....as long as the dash is apart.

If I can find the bulletin, I'll post it.
Right, it's in the manual too. Replaced all but the one that can be replaced by just removing the glove box, for the reason that it is a Bitc$ to take out the dash.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:35 PM
bario
Instructor

Don't know how common a problem it really is but it happened to my '05 last summer. Had to have the dash pulled apart to replace all 4 actuators and a shredded mode door that looked exactly like the one posted here. It would have been about a $1000 job if the car were to be out of warranty.

And yes, the old mode door was orange and the replacement was grey, so it appears that they "may" have started using a different material. Of course it could also just be a different color of exactly the same stuff causing me do do it again in 5 more years.

B
Old 06-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Prodago
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilzer
So what color is the mode door on your C6? You may be looking at a replacement if it is orange. The newer part has a gray material that feels like it is more substantial.

Do you have to remove the dash to replace the mode door??
Old 06-18-2013, 03:16 AM
bario
Instructor

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but from what I understand, yes, the dash must be taken apart. It was when they repaired the mode door on my '05. The cost, had it not been under warranty, would have been about $1000 at my dealer up here in Canada.

B
Old 06-18-2013, 07:06 AM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

Somewhat common on the early 05's. Door material was defective. I had mine done 4 years ago under ext. warranty ($1550) I paid the ded. of $100 and again this past January at my expense, $1770. Anyone with an early 05 having this problem should contact their dealer and in turn have them contact Delphi the HVAC GM supplier. There is a very good chance that they will pay for full repairs even if there in no longer a warranty. Delphi returned my call long after I had the work done by a non dealer.
I have name and phone # of Delphi. PM if you need it.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (11-06-2018)
Old 08-22-2014, 01:16 AM
laticsfan
8th Gear

Originally Posted by c6vette
Somewhat common on the early 05's. Door material was defective. I had mine done 4 years ago under ext. warranty ($1550) I paid the ded. of $100 and again this past January at my expense, $1770. Anyone with an early 05 having this problem should contact their dealer and in turn have them contact Delphi the HVAC GM supplier. There is a very good chance that they will pay for full repairs even if there in no longer a warranty. Delphi returned my call long after I had the work done by a non dealer.
I have name and phone # of Delphi. PM if you need it.
I have an 09 coupe and have the same issue. Only getting heat from the right side. Left side is fine. Pulling the fuses fixes it temporarily but the problem comes back. Did Delphi re-emburse you for the money you paid second time to have the car repaired?
Old 08-22-2014, 06:22 AM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by laticsfan
I have an 09 coupe and have the same issue. Only getting heat from the right side. Left side is fine. Pulling the fuses fixes it temporarily but the problem comes back. Did Delphi re-emburse you for the money you paid second time to have the car repaired?
No. After a few phone calls I got nowhere.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:59 PM
blanz
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Mode Valve part number...

Originally Posted by Prodago
Do you have to remove the dash to replace the mode door??
Looks like my '05 HVAC mode door has bitten the dust.
Does anyone have the GM part number for the replacement that folks talked about.
Thanks in advance...
Old 11-05-2018, 05:38 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by blanz
Looks like my '05 HVAC mode door has bitten the dust.
Does anyone have the GM part number for the replacement that folks talked about.
Thanks in advance...
OEM Part Number, 89018854 Mode Door although GM calls it Valve Mode

This is the part picture from Rock Auto which calls it a mode door. and AC delco calls it heater blend door.
AC Delco part # 1550692
The following 2 users liked this post by 4SUMERZ:
blanz (11-05-2018), Landru (11-06-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 07:41 PM
blanz
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 33 Posts

You da Man!
Thanks so much!!!

Get notified of new replies

To C6 HVAC Mode Door - How Common?

Quick Reply: C6 HVAC Mode Door - How Common?