C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F55 Suspension Leaking - Replacing entire system.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Failures with the F55 suspension are extremely rare and it seems unlikely all of the shocks would be leaking. As far as trying to gauge suspension travel, I may still have some old notes from my engineer friend about shock absorber travel in an unenergized MR shock...I'll see if I can find what he wrote. I suggest you have the dealership check it out first...see what they say.

I may be sticking my foot in my mouth (nothing new there) but I have a set of MR shocks I might consider selling. Except for a couple items I generally keep all the OEM pieces-parts that came with the car. Sometimes I wonder why...I usually store all this stuff and I never need it again. PM me if you're interested in buying the MR shocks...I'll give it some thought.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
GM does say the F55 suspension, shocks and/or whatever,.. is "Engineered" for the life of the car.
To me it's a play on words, so take it for what it's worth
It's not just a play on words, it's a totally different thing. In theory *everything* is "engineered for the life of the car".

Does it mean they will last for the life of the Car? Depends on the life of the car I guess.
Again, wth does that mean? When is the life of the car declared over? When the warranty expires? When Barrett-Jackson can't whip up an auction number greater than Kelly Blue Book value?

Z//
Old 11-16-2010, 12:32 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Do we know yet if the OP is saying that all four shocks are leaking or just one?
Old 11-16-2010, 01:00 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I had a 2005 with F55. I lowered it by cutting the bushings on the stock bolts in the rear. I put about 35,000 miles on before my brother-in-law bought it a couple years ago. He's put at least another 5,000 on it. The MSRC shocks show absolutely no sign of any problem at all.

There's an owner of a new ZR1 (he's got 1,000 miles on it) who posted in the ZR1 section that he thought his shocks were leaking because all of them had "oil" on them.

Most of us recommended that he wipe them down and see if more "oil" appears on them after driving a while. However, he hasn't reported back yet.

I posted up that the magnetorheological fluid has an oil carrier, so I guess it would look like oil on the shock if it were leaking.

I also posted up the video below - it shows the very intereting characteristics of the fluid in our shocks.

For the record, that is NOT my video. I would NEVER harass a poor wittle kitty-cat like that!!!

Bob

Old 11-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
It's not just a play on words, it's a totally different thing. In theory *everything* is "engineered for the life of the car".
Don't get me wrong, not arguing the point
I Politely disagree with that one though.
Example to the point of topic,.. Regular Shocks are not Engineered for the life of anything.
They're like Brake pads, a consumeable item.
Talk is F55 replacement cost more, If they need to be replaced.
It's a nickel for one, dime another.
Replace regular shocks 2, maybe 3 times, replace F55 shocks once,.. maybe.
Too each his own, not pushing F55 on anyone.
People buy what they like or feel they can live with

Again, what does that mean? When is the life of the car declared over? When the warranty expires? When Barrett-Jackson can't whip up an auction number greater than Kelly Blue Book value?

Z//
I was also being sarcastic in my post but, ... F55 is not new and Failures simply are not Rampant as some imply.
Yes, they can fail, Yes, they cost more to replace

But, regardless how long GM says they're "supposed" to last, F55 shocks do last a Very long time.

So what's the point ?
Is it no good because people don't like F55 ?
Or is it because it cost too much ?

Either way, F55 failure is Rare.

Again, don't get me wrong, .. not here to Argue
Old 11-16-2010, 01:17 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Wow...gutsy video...doing that over the carpet...or maybe he could get the stain out with the magnet also....
Old 11-16-2010, 01:24 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
Wow...gutsy video...doing that over the carpet...or maybe he could get the stain out with the magnet also....
Hi Chris

Yeah - that's what I told the ZR1 owner: get a clean rag and wipe down the shocks. If you can pick the rag up with a magnet, it's shock fluid. If not, don't worry about it!!!

Bob
Old 11-16-2010, 01:45 PM
cclive
Team Owner

It certainly is an interesting concept isn't it......I wonder if the particles in the fluid cause more wear on the seals that hold it in....
Old 11-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by laconiajack
I suspect the problem with lowering the F55 suspension excessively and then regularly subjecting it to multiple 4 inch speed bumps daily is that this could or would cause the shock absorbers to bottom out internally thus absorbing the full and very considerable impact force rather than having the suspension bottom out through the joust bumpers as it is supposed to do. F55 shocks simply do not fail at 65,000 miles, especially all four of them, unless their are very unusual causes such as "slamming the car to the ground" as the OP described it. The lesson is clear: MODIFY AT YOUR OWN RISK!

This sounds like a bad case of abuse by multiple owners.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:59 PM
robertaj
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
What exactly is "leaking pretty bad"? Got any pics?

ROTFL you don't believe him do you!!!!
Old 11-16-2010, 05:03 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by robertaj
ROTFL you don't believe him do you!!!!
Well....maybe...

I really want to see where it/they is/are leaking.

Last edited by vettedoogie; 11-16-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:33 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Shocks NOT covered under GMPP!

Originally Posted by Dendk
I doubt you will ever see an issue as most Vette owners will not have the car for a long period of time. I would also be interested in knowing how well these hold up....we have seen an example of issues after 5 years....not normal. I was also thinking...I don't believe shocks are covered under a GMPP, wonder if the F55 is classified that way.
Shocks are NOT COVERED ON GMPP MAJOR GUARD under "Component Coverage" and listed under "Non-Covered Parts" --> "Shock absorbers". Therefore, shocks are NOT covered!

Pamplet Source: Rev. 8/04 201GMPP4
Old 11-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
Oh, nor was I

Example to the point of topic,.. Regular Shocks are not Engineered for the life of anything.
I was using hyperbole

Of course not "everything" is engineered for the life of the car. I just don't believe that the MR shocks were, either.

I agree. I like the F55. I have no problem with the system at all. In fact, when we bought my wife her C6 we purposely bought it WITH the F55. And if it wasn't for her need/want/desire to have the car *low* combined with my insistance that her car not be handling like some solid axle buckboard, she'd have the system in the car right now. I do find some folks' over-the-top allegiance to, and defense of, a shock absorber system to be a bit much, though.

I was also being sarcastic in my post but, ... F55 is not new and Failures simply are not Rampant as some imply.
I've been reading these F55 threads for 4 years now and I have never had the sense that anyone has implied rampant failures. On the other hand, I haven't read a lot of posts about standard shock failures, either. It's just not an issue either way. The diff is that there is an unofficial F55 fan club that leaps to the defense should anyone suggest that the system is less than they believe is is.

But, regardless how long GM says they're "supposed" to last, F55 shocks do last a Very long time.
As calmtgguy pointed out, the statistical sampling the forum represents is meaningless. I'm pretty sure that no one here has a clue what the actual MR shock failure rate is, much less how it compares to standard Corvette shock life spans.

So what's the point ?
I'm unaware of anyone not liking it (who's actually owned it & driven it long enough to form a valid opinion.) I know that *I* liked it a lot when I was driving my wife's car. There *have* been complaints (the OP included) about the cost when they have to replace 1-thru-4 of them. Economic theory based upon replacement schedules is fine to play with but when the dealer says "that'll be four thousand dollars, please" all that theory goes out the window for most folks.

Me neither.

Z//
Old 11-16-2010, 06:16 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The resistance of some to F55 type adjustable magnetorheological fluid shock absorber technology can be likened to the resistance to tubeless tires when first introduced. Some believed they couldn't hold air reliably, and installed inner tubes in their brand new tubeless tires. Their was similiar resistance to radial tires, pleated paper air filters, muti-viscosity oils, and virtually every other automotive breakthrough. That's just human nature.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey martij9 please feel free to give us a call if you have any questions on options for replacing your current suspension. We have a couple different levels of suspension components depending on your goals with the car, if you indeed plan on keeping it!
Old 11-16-2010, 06:44 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Single replacement should work.

Originally Posted by Ammo
So suppose we do get just one bad F55 shock, do we replace one or both on that axle, ie front or rear. would there be much difference between one new one say on the left front and a used one on the right front? Anyone?
Because of the technology, I think alot of the "old" rule could and should be thrown out. SINCE the magnetic shocks are supposely last the life of the car, I would think at such mileage of 50k or so, that is NOT close to the life of the car which could be any where from 100k to 200k with good care. As long as the fluid does not leak our; then, just buy what you need, can always buy another later. The magnetic properties should not change if no fluid is lost, they use these things on commercial trucks that go multiple 100k's. The trucks give them much more beating than a Corvette ever would.

PS: I gave mine a real beating on Canadian Hwy 1 for over four hundred miles and my 06 C6 F55 was bottoming out from time to time on the seats at 50 mph on that major East-West highway, just 90 miles North running parallel with US border. The severe thawing and freezing of snow and ice just tears the highway up. I was driving from Calgary toward Winnepeg when I couldn't take it any longer and drove South into N Dokota, turned off South near Regina, Saskatchewan. The only problem was that the N Dokota roads were just as bad. A thousand miles later a bushing fell off my leaf spring and the WHOLE leaf spring was replaced under warranty. Funny thing is that: I was told by dealer that I was driving too many "back" roads; unfortunately, these were the "front" roads in the area, Canadian Hwy 1 and US Hwy 85. Corvettes are not made for any rough roads for a long distant; in an conventional car, this would have been nothing. But for a stiff suspension and low profile tires, the car is NO MATCH, it will be slowly knocked apart. My magnetic shocks are still working fine.

Last edited by 2006c6keller; 11-16-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:15 PM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

neat video,,,,,

Last edited by NOCRISIS; 11-16-2010 at 09:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To F55 Suspension Leaking - Replacing entire system.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:57 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif

Yes, they can fail, Yes, they cost more to replace

So what's the point ?

Either way, F55 failure is Rare.

Talked to GM Engineer on phone and he told me Corvette should last 300,000 miles.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:18 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

71K on my F55 '08 and the only shock issue was when the GM mechanic replaced the fuel sending unit and dropped the rear cradle, he broke the electrical connector. He jerry-rigged it, but I found out several thousand miles later when that shock quit working. DIC sends the notice "inoperative shocks", so the OP should be getting that message.

My opinion, and it's worth exactly what you just paid, is that eventually the shocks will fail, but will perform as new right up to that point. Conventional shocks deteriorate gradually and start that process immediately after installation.

If I were in the OP's shoes, I'd be scouring the junkyards. Just because it's a pricey item when bought new, doesn't mean used will follow suit. Supply/demand will drive the price and the demand is apparently real low.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:28 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I had a 2005 with F55. I lowered it by cutting the bushings on the stock bolts in the rear. I put about 35,000 miles on before my brother-in-law bought it a couple years ago. He's put at least another 5,000 on it. The MSRC shocks show absolutely no sign of any problem at all.

There's an owner of a new ZR1 (he's got 1,000 miles on it) who posted in the ZR1 section that he thought his shocks were leaking because all of them had "oil" on them.

Most of us recommended that he wipe them down and see if more "oil" appears on them after driving a while. However, he hasn't reported back yet.

I posted up that the magnetorheological fluid has an oil carrier, so I guess it would look like oil on the shock if it were leaking.

I also posted up the video below - it shows the very intereting characteristics of the fluid in our shocks.

For the record, that is NOT my video. I would NEVER harass a poor wittle kitty-cat like that!!!

Bob

It was hard but I found a more boring video.

Quick Reply: F55 Suspension Leaking - Replacing entire system.