C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-03-2015, 12:20 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Shifting tips for the C6 manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 05:04 PM
lkelliott
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by elitebomberX
Was this shot using a GoPro? Nice shifting. I recently installed a MGW short throw shifter and am grateful.
Yes, the video was shot with a GoPro 960 HD. I shoot in 720p to get more data on the SDHC memory card. Then after editing, I render the video up to 1080p in 16:9 aspect ratio. I actually have four of these little buggers and they shoot great video. I am testing some new ways to get the audio even better when mounting the camera outside the vehicle in direct wind.

The MGW shifter is the only shifter that I reccomend for the C6. It is a real precision piece of artistry and worth every dollar you pay for it!

Kent
Old 12-20-2010, 05:23 PM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 120 Posts

The video was very informative and I appreciate it. Thank you for posting.
I am used to hold the shifter like what is called "death grip" on this thread. I understand now that "light touch" is a better way of shifting. Can't wait until I try it.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,408 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Shifting 101...I got the feeling he's a driver's ed teacher.

I think you can wind it out to 170+ mph in 4th gear so for all practical purposes 5th and 6th gears are overdrive gears for extended highway cruising (not in-town driving). There's no need to speed-shift from 5th to 4th...take your time and get the 'feel' for it.

I knew a guy who complained about missing the 2-3 shift. I observed at WOT he was way too tense...he had a death grip on the shifter and he was 'forcing' the shift (sometimes locking it out of gear). I'm no expert but I suggested he slow it down and concentrate on being relaxed. Use a light touch to guide the shifter towards 3rd...give it a 'suggestion' of where to go and it'll find its way. You don't need a heavy hand to shift quickly. Be relaxed and smooth and the speed will follow.
My stock 08 Z06 hits the rev limiter in 4th at 153-155
Old 12-20-2010, 06:25 PM
craftsman74066
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Glad i read my owners manual today.It says if your going to run over 175mph,have your tire pressure at 38 psi.Guess i've been lucky so far as i have been running 34 psi.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Keith N
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Kent - Nice job on the video. It was very informative and I'm usually gripping the shifter **** rather tightly. When and if it ever stops raining, I'll give it a try.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:48 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by lkelliott
After having four brain surgeries several years ago, I do speak rather slowly. I'll never be able to do a 30 second spot on the radio, that is for sure! LOL

Kent
I apologize for the unnecessary an inappropriate remark. Keep up the good work.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:01 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

I watched the whole thing and found it very informative.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:14 AM
lkelliott
Drifting

Originally Posted by Keith N
Kent - Nice job on the video. It was very informative and I'm usually gripping the shifter **** rather tightly. When and if it ever stops raining, I'll give it a try.
Thanks Keith, I hope the video information gets you into gear every time. It was raining when I was shooting the video too! I hope it stops raining soon, I have other videos to produce and this weather is killing me! LOL

Kent
Old 12-21-2010, 12:18 AM
lkelliott
Drifting

Thanks to all who have responded on the video. I hope to produce better videos from all of the input. The editing time is very consuming but I am getting faster with each video. Currently I have over 20 videos on YouTube.com.

Kent
Old 12-21-2010, 01:07 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Shifting 101...I got the feeling he's a driver's ed teacher.

I I observed at WOT he was way too tense...he had a death grip on the shifter and he was 'forcing' the shift (sometimes locking it out of gear). I'm no expert but I suggested he slow it down and concentrate on being relaxed. Use a light touch to guide the shifter towards 3rd...give it a 'suggestion' of where to go and it'll find its way. You don't need a heavy hand to shift quickly. Be relaxed and smooth and the speed will follow.
The shifter has a spring an it naturally wants to stay centered so the 3-4 shifts should be easiest.

I grip the shift and need to focus better. my 'Z is only my second stick shift car outside of my first Vette.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:37 AM
MYREDZO6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

The video was made to help those who have a death grip on their shifter to learn how to shift with a light touch. The speed that I was able to shift the C6 manual transmission is from using a light touch and using the correct pressure points on the shifter ****. The only application for shifting this fast would be in drag racing. I don't shift this fast all the time but my points still have a use in regular daily driving. Many C6 drivers are trying way too hard to get their car into the next gear and really don't know if the car went into the correct gear until they let the clutch out. My tips will get you into the correct gear every time weather you shift slow or fast! LOL

Thank you for posting the video pointing out the death grip. I just recently bought a 2010 Z06 which I am still learning to drive. This will help a lot with with my shifting once I get the hang of it.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:46 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

The whole key here is accuracy, not so much speed. Not being a drag racer, I have Road Racing background, I can accomplish shifts up or down quickly without "banging" it in, the whole point is getting it right. The point of a light touch is a very good one, I operate a Heavy Haul business, with Eaton-Fuller 18 speed transmission equipped trucks, and that trans can be shifted with 2 fingers, so can the Corvette. Personally, I like a bit of resistance in the gating, I may try a different linkage/shifter in my GS.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:53 AM
lkelliott
Drifting

Originally Posted by TKgs2010
The whole key here is accuracy, not so much speed. Not being a drag racer, I have Road Racing background, I can accomplish shifts up or down quickly without "banging" it in, the whole point is getting it right. The point of a light touch is a very good one, I operate a Heavy Haul business, with Eaton-Fuller 18 speed transmission equipped trucks, and that trans can be shifted with 2 fingers, so can the Corvette. Personally, I like a bit of resistance in the gating, I may try a different linkage/shifter in my GS.
Really take a serious look at the MGW shifter for your GS.
Here is the link http://mgwltd.com/

Kent
Old 12-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Nice information.....
I used to have problems too but I use the method that Ranger has shown to work...cupping the top of the shifter and practicing ....I also do not need to push the clutch all the way to the bottom - after awhile you can blip it extremely fast approximately 3/4 of the way down...

Great information including the pressure points which you have to use no matter how you hold the shifter!! great job THANKS!!
Old 12-22-2010, 10:24 PM
aseipos
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cor430vette
Nice information.....
I used to have problems too but I use the method that Ranger has shown to work...cupping the top of the shifter and practicing ....I also do not need to push the clutch all the way to the bottom - after awhile you can blip it extremely fast approximately 3/4 of the way down...

Great information including the pressure points which you have to use no matter how you hold the shifter!! great job THANKS!!
Glad to see the video repeatedly emphasize the importance of getting the clutch pedal down far enough as that is an unexpected new requirement I have found since moving from my old 06 Z51 to an 11 GS.

Clutch takeup is now further down in the travel, at least for my car. The technique that seems to work for me in dealing with this is to put light pressue against the shifter in the direction of the next shift before I push in the clutch so that when the clutch does actually disengage I can feel the shifter resistance to moving lighten significantly. That's the signal that the clutch is in far enough to allow moving the shifter directly to the next gear.

I imagine a double-clutching or a 2-step movement would accomplish the same thing, but this "light-pressue" technique offers a possibly faster shift, I think.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:56 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Good information, a shorter version can be used as a sticky.

I can't wait to speed shift into 6th gear driving 190mph.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:12 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I liked the vid. It presents a few key points that you need to know. When I first got my '08, I never had trouble, but then I started driving a '95 C4 with the ZF 6-spd and that has a more pronounced H-pattern to the shift gate (and a better feel). Once I got used to that, I started missing 3rd a lot in my newer vette.

That car is gone and I hope to reacquaint myself with my C6 shifter.

Get notified of new replies

To Shifting tips for the C6 manual transmission

Old 12-22-2010, 11:25 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I showed this vid to my friend who drives a Cobalt. It helped him, too. Some good basics here!

The only thing I do different is on the 3-4 shift, I invert my hand so that the 3-2 mistake is impossible. It takes more movement, but I have never missed 4th gear since. Then, this was in an F-body w/Hurst shifter (OEM), so I dunno how that will translate over to the 'vette.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:08 AM
SlasherMcGee
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

In case you all didn't realize, the OP is the guy in the car.... Good video!
Old 12-23-2010, 12:13 AM
bario
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone is having issues about getting you manual C6 trans into gear during speed shifting, this video will slove your problems!

Kent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6VrevHlTQw
Ok, I know. Totally off topic. (your vid was excellent BTW.). What is that exhaust system on the car in that video. I keep hearing ones that are too loud for me and ones that are too mellow, but I REALLY liked the sound of that system..

Bario

Quick Reply: Shifting tips for the C6 manual transmission