C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 hud wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
I wonder if it sets with the "memory"? After I get everything where I want it, I hold in the "1" button on the door until I get the multiple beeps to confirm that it has set the seat, mirror, and other stuff into memory for driver #1.

Elmer
Yes, the HUD position can be controlled by the memory system.

If he hasn't already, OP needs to try setting the HUD on full bright and then use the up/down switch to see if he can make it visible. If he can, then set the #1 memory that way. Then, set the #2 memory that way also unless a second driver needs it to be positioned slightly differently.

Keeping our fingers crossed...
Old 12-22-2010, 08:46 AM
mundo
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM! WHERE THE HELL IS THE FUSE!!!
Old 12-23-2010, 05:28 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

No need to get angry Fuse box, behind passenger footwell, see Owners Manual, pg 5-89. Its the fuse labeled "Cluster, Heads-Up Display".

Last edited by foremaw; 12-23-2010 at 05:30 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Toney
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my '05 for 2 months now...the HUD will light up, go up and down in brightness and BEGIN to raise, but will quickly slam back down out of sight....I can see it illuminated on the glass, but the actual image is facing down, and will only come up for a second. does this sound like the pins/supports are broken?
Old 12-23-2010, 01:55 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Toney
I've had my '05 for 2 months now...the HUD will light up, go up and down in brightness and BEGIN to raise, but will quickly slam back down out of sight....I can see it illuminated on the glass, but the actual image is facing down, and will only come up for a second. does this sound like the pins/supports are broken?
Might actually be working properly.

1. With the engine running, press/hold the '+' button awhile to get max brightness.

2. Hold the '^' up-arrow, then hold the 'v' down-arrow -- that is, cycle thru range of adjustment until you see the HUD display.

3. It sounds like your HUD is making automatic adjustments to hide the display. This might've been the previous owner's preference... you'll need to change the fob memory settings:
Originally Posted by talon90
DIC Vehicle Personalization
Many features on your vehicle can be personalized.
This means that the operation of these features can be
set to operate differently depending on who is driving
the vehicle. See “Personal Options” later in this section
for the features that you can personalize.
The personalization settings for other features are
automatically updated and saved as the driver adjusts
them. These include the following settings and presets
:
• The radio presets, tone, volume, fade, balance,
equalization (EQ) settings and source (radio or CD)
• The last climate control setting
• The Head-Up Display (HUD) position and dimming
level
, if your vehicle has this feature
• The instrument panel cluster dimming level and last
selected DIC display
Separate personalization settings are saved for
two different drivers. One of the keyless access
transmitters is assigned to driver 1. The other is
assigned to driver 2. The back of the keyless access
transmitters are labelled 1 or 2 to correspond to each
driver.
See your owners manual for more details: http://www.gmpartshouse.com/download...05corvette.pdf

4. Day and night settings can be different: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...d-experts.html

Last edited by CO Lightfoot; 12-23-2010 at 02:05 PM. Reason: add link for online owners manual
Old 12-23-2010, 05:53 PM
Toney
Instructor

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
Might actually be working properly.

1. With the engine running, press/hold the '+' button awhile to get max brightness.

2. Hold the '^' up-arrow, then hold the 'v' down-arrow -- that is, cycle thru range of adjustment until you see the HUD display.

3. It sounds like your HUD is making automatic adjustments to hide the display. This might've been the previous owner's preference... you'll need to change the fob memory settings:

See your owners manual for more details: http://www.gmpartshouse.com/download...05corvette.pdf

4. Day and night settings can be different: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...d-experts.html

Okay, that works...to a point...

If i HOLD DOWN the up arrow to adjust the height it will fall back down...is it supposed to do that?

I have to bump it up one notch at a time, careful not to go too far or it will fall back down and I have to reset the whole unit by holding the down arrow for three seconds till it clicks and then go back up with it....something tells me that, while mine "works", that's not the intended design to just plummet back into the dash if you hold down the up arrow

?
The following users liked this post:
Norskie (09-05-2016)
Old 12-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

You are correct, sounds like something is broken.

Good luck with a cheap and effective repair.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:40 AM
gr86ss
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 97 Posts

My HUD Reflector pivot also failed. The pivot side (opposite the gear and motor) is a VERY poorly designed thin plastic piece. IMHO, this should have been a powdered metal part or a thicker more rugged plastic. Spent a good 14 hours removing and replacing dash/HUD. I purchased a used unit and checked the pivot and it also was ready to go so beware if you purchase a used unit. I modified the mount point of the reflector pivot with some .015 spring steel that I had in the garage. This is where the HUD reflector will fail and with this side broken the opposite side will also break rendering the HUD unusuable.

I went without my HUD for a couple of months and I'm happy that it's fixed again.

Last edited by gr86ss; 08-29-2011 at 08:01 PM. Reason: fixed image code
Old 01-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Toney
Instructor

Originally Posted by gr86ss
My HUD Reflector pivot also failed. The pivot side (opposite the gear and motor) is a VERY poorly designed thin plastic piece. IMHO, this should have been a powdered metal part or a thicker more rugged plastic. Spent a good 14 hours removing and replacing dash/HUD. I purchased a used unit and checked the pivot and it also was ready to go so beware if you purchase a used unit. I modified the mount point of the reflector pivot with some .015 spring steel that I had in the garage. This is where the HUD reflector will fail and with this side broken the opposite side will also break rendering the HUD unusuable.

I went without my HUD for a couple of months and I'm happy that it's fixed again.
Thank you for the picture....I've owned my c6 for 3 months now and have never used the HUD, I need to tackle this project.

What instructions did you follow for removal and access to the HUD?
Old 01-06-2011, 08:53 PM
gr86ss
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Toney
Thank you for the picture....I've owned my c6 for 3 months now and have never used the HUD, I need to tackle this project.

What instructions did you follow for removal and access to the HUD?
Here's the reference that I used:
http://www.theredlion.us/C6%20HUD%20...%20Rev%202.pdf

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...d-install.html
The following users liked this post:
Mr.Fixzit (09-04-2016)
Old 01-26-2011, 10:11 PM
CandyVette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think my mount is also broken, because I would come out some mornings and my display would be way up too high, or too low. I adjusted back to my preference several times, and then yesterday it just went crazy, every time I put on the brakes, the display would whoosh! right off the windshield like it was taking off for flight. Today, there is no display at all, but I see a mirror-like reflection in my windshield which is now driving me crazy. I think whatever bracket that was holding the mirror has broken and the mirror has fallen down and is now reflecting off the windshield. Can this be repaired? Do I need a new HUD? Agh, this is very frustrating. This sounds like it is happening to a lot of people and my extended warranty just expired of course.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:07 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

they can be bought new from gmpartshouse.com for about $250

I install a lot of these in 1/2LT cars that did not have them from Bowling Green
Old 09-04-2016, 07:24 PM
Mr.Fixzit
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the reference. I bought a new HUD and elected to do the partial dash removal rather than chop up the AC duct. I never would have found all the hidden bolts without it. Not really difficult, just took about 8 hours. The worst part is being able to release the tabs to get the wire connectors off or apart. It's real easy putting back together.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:39 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

You know this post is 5 years old ...?
Old 09-05-2016, 09:24 AM
Mr.Fixzit
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
You know this post is 5 years old ...?
Yes I do. My car is 10 years old and the information is still relevant.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:16 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,629 Likes on 2,349 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by prseasix
...original Aug 2004 battery is the problem...
A 12 year old battery??? Get a new one.

"You know this post is 5 years old ...?" Well, I guess he has probably replaced the battery by now!

Last edited by ruxvette; 09-05-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-15-2021, 02:24 PM
Paul Eggermann
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default It took a long time but mine is going bad now - in 2021

Yes, this thread is still germaine. My 06 has 107,000 miles on it and the HUD just started to bounce a little. I have read all the threads on this subject and will tackle this one over the winter.
Thanks to all who are still with us.
Paul
Old 12-17-2021, 01:01 PM
Robman
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Fixed mine last night. Here's a tip on cutting the ac duct. Get one of those razor knives that has the blade you can break off the tip and run it out about 2" or so and heat it with a touch and it will cut like butter.
Old 11-14-2022, 08:58 PM
Deborah Spanier
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 HUD not displaying fix

[Omg, i have a 2010; battery was run dead b/c I didn't realize I'd legt the accessory on when I turned push button off. I noticed some time later (days later after recharging the battery), the HUD no longer displaying. Saw this post, and I reset the memory buttons on the seats and it fixed it!!!! Thank you so much!!!

QUOTE=Gearhead Jim;1576285768]Yes, the HUD position can be controlled by the memory system.

If he hasn't already, OP needs to try setting the HUD on full bright and then use the up/down switch to see if he can make it visible. If he can, then set the #1 memory that way. Then, set the #2 memory that way also unless a second driver needs it to be positioned slightly differently.

Keeping our fingers crossed...[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: C6 hud wtf?