C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

C6 Corvette Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 11:37 AM
gunther2000
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hymnatr
How did this work out for you? I told the dealership about this bulletin and they said they checked it out and everything was fine. Service guy said he never saw this problem with a manual just the automatics...which one do you have?
I have a manual ’05 Z51. There is a difference with how the car starts now. Before I brought the car in for repair, I would push the start button and hear the sound of an electrical motor spin inside the steering column for just about a second before the engine started. Now after the fix, the engine starts right when I push the button. There’s no delay anymore. I bought the car 2 ½ years ago and it had always had this one-second delay from the time I pushed the start button to the time the engine started. I thought this was normal. I realize now that it was a symptom of the problem.

Good luck! Please post again when you figure out your problem.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:47 PM
hymnatr
Instructor

I couldn't find the TSB anywhere, do you have a link for it?
Old 03-06-2011, 04:05 PM
gunther2000
Heel & Toe

I couldn't find the TSB anywhere, do you have a link for it?
I tried a google search for the TSB also and couldn't find it. Here's what my invoice says:

Replaced Steering Column Lock Motor As Per TSB #PIC5367.

The phone number to Jack Schmitt Chevy where I had the work done is 618-628-2500. They may be able to help you locate the TSB.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Stew24
Pro

Received 174 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by gunther2000
I have a manual ’05 Z51. There is a difference with how the car starts now. Before I brought the car in for repair, I would push the start button and hear the sound of an electrical motor spin inside the steering column for just about a second before the engine started. Now after the fix, the engine starts right when I push the button. There’s no delay anymore. I bought the car 2 ½ years ago and it had always had this one-second delay from the time I pushed the start button to the time the engine started. I thought this was normal. I realize now that it was a symptom of the problem.

Good luck! Please post again when you figure out your problem.
My car has this problem, and I'm almost at zero confidence that it will not show its face on each time I drive it. It did it just again today. Multiple presses got it going without having to disconnect the battery this time. My car is a manual tranny '05, manufactured in June 2005. My car like yours has about a one second delay before the starter engages. You press the button, Whrrrrr goes the column lock motor, then the starter engages. I wonder if the instant start without the column motor activating, is a late revision of the column lock motor by GM ... or just the normal function with ours only making the sound and delay when they start going south on ya?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:12 PM
hymnatr
Instructor

I finally got a call today from the dealership saying that they found the problem. They said it was the theft deterrent system. It had to be reprogrammed. They were going to put my radio back in and I should have it back tomorrow. Sounds very interesting, don't you think?
Old 03-10-2011, 08:48 PM
gunther2000
Heel & Toe

I finally got a call today from the dealership saying that they found the problem. They said it was the theft deterrent system. It had to be reprogrammed. They were going to put my radio back in and I should have it back tomorrow. Sounds very interesting, don't you think?
That is interesting. I hope it works out for you. What year is yours? Is there a delay from when you push the start button to when the engine turns, or does the engine turn right away when you push start.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I wonder if my car has the same problem...good to know.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:03 PM
hymnatr
Instructor

Originally Posted by gunther2000
That is interesting. I hope it works out for you. What year is yours? Is there a delay from when you push the start button to when the engine turns, or does the engine turn right away when you push start.
I have the same as you, 05 m6 z51. I'm going to pick it up today so I will check when I get it. The funny thing is that the service guy called me yesterday and said that when they went to wash it, it kept stalling out. They had to clean the throttle body and reprogram the computer for that too. Way too many thing going wrong in this last month
Old 03-18-2011, 05:24 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Excellent post..
Old 03-18-2011, 05:30 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

It still amazes me that after 7 years of Column Lock HELL with the C5's that GM did not get it right either with the C6. Utterly amazing.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:46 AM
t1blackout
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default same problem

I've got an 05 m6 Z51 with the exact same problem. I disconnect the battery and it fixes it every time. I also have a gas cap that wont stay shut (I have to manually pull a lever inside the trunk and then close the lid every time). I also have this crazy traction control freakout that occures every once in a while. It basically lockes up the wheels and makes the car undrivable, and I have to turn the car off, open the doors, then close the doors and start the engine and it works just fine. It has happened about 10 times in the last 2 years of me owning the car.

Has anyone found a cheaper fix?
Old 03-28-2011, 01:50 AM
gunther2000
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by t1blackout
I've got an 05 m6 Z51 with the exact same problem. I disconnect the battery and it fixes it every time. I also have a gas cap that wont stay shut (I have to manually pull a lever inside the trunk and then close the lid every time). I also have this crazy traction control freakout that occures every once in a while. It basically lockes up the wheels and makes the car undrivable, and I have to turn the car off, open the doors, then close the doors and start the engine and it works just fine. It has happened about 10 times in the last 2 years of me owning the car.

Has anyone found a cheaper fix?
I brought my 05 Z51 in for a recall for the problem you're describing with the brakes. It's a problem with wires rubbing inside the stearing column. That may save you some money, but I can't help with the other problems. This is the first time I've heard about problems with the gas lid. It sounds like there's some problems unique to the first year of the C6. I think I'll wait to buy the C7 until the second year.

Good luck!
Old 08-21-2011, 12:10 AM
astar77350
3rd Gear

Had this starting problem for the first time today! I had to push my car down an incline to pop the clucth to get it to start, once i got home i discovered this thread! Saved me a trip to the dealership, disconnected the battery and problem gone... for now... worried that Im going to have to shell out 1000 dollars to get this problem fixed

05 6spd non-z51 and i have the delay when i push the start button.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:19 AM
Stew24
Pro

Received 174 Likes on 102 Posts

Disconnect the "Positive" post only. No need to do the negative post. I carry a 10mm wrench with me at all times just for this. When you disconnect the positive post you will hear the column lock churn into proper position. Reattach post and off on your merry way ....
Old 08-21-2011, 07:07 AM
Tact
Law Dawg Moderator

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
CF St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by astar77350
Had this starting problem for the first time today! I had to push my car down an incline to pop the clucth to get it to start, once i got home i discovered this thread! Saved me a trip to the dealership, disconnected the battery and problem gone... for now... worried that Im going to have to shell out 1000 dollars to get this problem fixed

05 6spd non-z51 and i have the delay when i push the start button.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...s-or-more.html

Quick Reply: C6 Corvette Won't Start