C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$45 bucks more for 911 Interior ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 11:05 PM
soetekouw
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ALMS21, you don't get the point of what the majority of the folks are expressing on this thread. I agree with those that state that the quality of the Corvette's interior and seats are not up to the standards that should be expected from a car as expensive as a Corvette. Chevy should be able to do better for their flagship and most expensive vehicle. If you feel otherwise, that is fine. That is why they make chocolate and vanilla so that we can all have a choice. But that is probably also why Chevy hasn't done anything to 'improve' what so many complain about.

Many compared a Porsche's interior quality to that of the Corvette. That may offend some because of brand loyalty. That was not my intent, and therefore, I compared my new 2010 'Chevy' Siverado's interior with that of the 2011 'Chevy' Corvette. Apples to Apples. Same company. IMHO, the truck's seats are more firmer and doesn't feel like its going to break or bend, the plastic pieces of the interior fit better, doesn't squeak, and to me, it has an overall better looking detailed finished interior. But, then again, opinions may differ. And as unbelieveable as it may sound, the truck is at half the price of a Corvette. So that means to me, that Chevy can do it. That they can do a better job within the price range of a Corvette. So why haven't they done so? Why should I have to go to Caravaggio for those improvements that should be standard feature? Why should I have to pay the extra money for something that should be there -- other vehicles and brands within the price range of a Corvette have it.

Yes, the interior is important to me. The Corvette has probably one of the nicest looking exteriors of any other car and its shape is an American icon. The engine is powerful and it is a pleasure to listen to the exhaust tone. But, when I drive, I don't sit on top of the engine, nor do I sit on the roof, I sit inside the car. That is where I live, and at the stage of life I am in, would really like to enjoy the quality around me and be lulled by the rumbling of the engine and the notes of the exhaust. Quality should be expected from this great vehicle. I, and many others are hoping that the C7 will bring the much needed improvements.

Now, as a last comment, I will eventually buy a Corvette. (my wife has given her blessing to do it now). It will either be 2011/2012 4LT (and hopefully the 4LT will difuse some of the perceptions of poor interior quality), or maybe I will wait until the C7 comes out and see what that promises. As a note, I have been in contact with Chris at Callaway for a possible upgrade - don't have all the info yet, and haven't made a decision yet, but.......................who knows right now. I am excited about getting a Corvette, I just want them to do better job on the inside.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:59 PM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by soetekouw
ALMS21, you don't get the point of what the majority of the folks are expressing on this thread. I agree with those that state that the quality of the Corvette's interior and seats are not up to the standards that should be expected from a car as expensive as a Corvette. Chevy should be able to do better for their flagship and most expensive vehicle. If you feel otherwise, that is fine. That is why they make chocolate and vanilla so that we can all have a choice. But that is probably also why Chevy hasn't done anything to 'improve' what so many complain about.

Many compared a Porsche's interior quality to that of the Corvette. That may offend some because of brand loyalty. That was not my intent, and therefore, I compared my new 2010 'Chevy' Siverado's interior with that of the 2011 'Chevy' Corvette. Apples to Apples. Same company. IMHO, the truck's seats are more firmer and doesn't feel like its going to break or bend, the plastic pieces of the interior fit better, doesn't squeak, and to me, it has an overall better looking detailed finished interior. But, then again, opinions may differ. And as unbelieveable as it may sound, the truck is at half the price of a Corvette. So that means to me, that Chevy can do it. That they can do a better job within the price range of a Corvette. So why haven't they done so? Why should I have to go to Caravaggio for those improvements that should be standard feature? Why should I have to pay the extra money for something that should be there -- other vehicles and brands within the price range of a Corvette have it.

Yes, the interior is important to me. The Corvette has probably one of the nicest looking exteriors of any other car and its shape is an American icon. The engine is powerful and it is a pleasure to listen to the exhaust tone. But, when I drive, I don't sit on top of the engine, nor do I sit on the roof, I sit inside the car. That is where I live, and at the stage of life I am in, would really like to enjoy the quality around me and be lulled by the rumbling of the engine and the notes of the exhaust. Quality should be expected from this great vehicle. I, and many others are hoping that the C7 will bring the much needed improvements.

Now, as a last comment, I will eventually buy a Corvette. (my wife has given her blessing to do it now). It will either be 2011/2012 4LT (and hopefully the 4LT will difuse some of the perceptions of poor interior quality), or maybe I will wait until the C7 comes out and see what that promises. As a note, I have been in contact with Chris at Callaway for a possible upgrade - don't have all the info yet, and haven't made a decision yet, but.......................who knows right now. I am excited about getting a Corvette, I just want them to do better job on the inside.
Perhaps I wasn't very clear in my prior posts so I will try again. No, I am not satisfied with the quality of the Corvette interior but it isn't THAT bad at a $60K price point. You have to look hard at the competition at this price point. Where else can you get the performance of a pure sports car like the Vette PLUS have a great interior? I have yet to find one. Where I think the interior is a disappointment is in the ZR1. A $100K car SHOULD have a better interior, irrespective of it's performance. Sometimes I think people hope for Vette performance with an Audi R8 interior for $60K. It ain't going to happen. Having said that, I do think we can have the Vette with CTS-V quality interior for $60K....and should.

I've owned three Porsches (an '03 996TT, '06 CaymanS, '05 997S) and am no brand snob, *****, fanboi, etc. I'm just saying that the Porsche 911 interiors just aren't that great. The 996 model year interiors (which ran up to 2005 for the Turbos) sucked a$$ in a major way. My wife is no car afficianado and her first comment when she got in my 996TT was "this is the interior you get in a $120K car?" (I did not buy the car new and paid slightly more than 1/2 of that $120K 3.5 years later) Porsche got it somewhat right in the 997.1 and better yet in the 997.2. Even still, the interior they slap in a $100K 997S isn't Lexus like in any respect. On top of that, you have to look at the whole package --- the Vettes performance is just as good or better and the car costs $40K less. The question is this --- Is the slightly better interior and the Stuttgart badge on the hood worth $40K? Comparing a Vettes interior to a Porsche interior doesn't hold water to me. One is considerably more expensive than the other.

Good luck on your decision and here's hoping for an improved (even on par with the Caddy CTS-V) interior in the C7 In the meantime, I'll wait for my 4LT Grand Sport to arrive....then I will install a real carbon fibre bezel and wrap the instrument pods with DSV leather. That should work for me.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ALMS21
The 996 model year interiors (which ran up to 2005 for the Turbos) sucked a$$ in a major way. My wife is no car afficianado and her first comment when she got in my 996TT was "this is the interior you get in a $120K car?"
You're saying the 996 Turbo's interior sucked a$$ in a major way? If so, can you provide specifics as to why it was so bad?
Old 03-09-2011, 07:54 PM
emejay
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=fmarshall;1576943239) The biggest differences in a Porsche are internals. The engines are designed and built well. They last way more miles than the American engines, in general. [/QUOTE]

Spoken by someone I am sure who has never owned one!
Old 03-09-2011, 07:58 PM
fmarshall
Racer

Originally Posted by emejay
Spoken by someone I am sure who has never owned one!
Then you would be wrong. I have owned several (4) Porsches and quite a few American cars
Old 03-09-2011, 09:04 PM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Notch
You're saying the 996 Turbo's interior sucked a$$ in a major way? If so, can you provide specifics as to why it was so bad?
Notch - I will retract that comment to say -- very bland & drab with big unpleasant looking shiny black plastic buttons. I will come back and edit this post with a picture of mine before I added some aftermarket pieces. It just isn't appealing at all. Saying it sucked a$$ was too extreme of a comment.

The first pic is my former 996TT

Last edited by ALMS21; 03-09-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:31 PM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 215 Likes on 81 Posts

Notch - I will retract that comment to say -- very bland & drab with big unpleasant looking shiny black plastic buttons. I will come back and edit this post with a picture of mine before I added some aftermarket pieces. It just isn't appealing at all. Saying it sucked a$$ was too extreme of a comment.
i completely agree. thanks for the pics. as i stated earlier, the deisgn of the interiors is just ugly all around. i mean look at that center stack.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Notch - I will retract that comment...
Fair enough.

-...big unpleasant looking shiny black plastic buttons.
I guess it depends on one's definition of "shiny". The buttons are certainly not gloss finished, and they certainly aren't flat finished. Do they have a soft luster? Yes.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:22 AM
rollin18
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Well sure; I perceive the 911 interior to be superior because it is

There is no denying that the seats and steering wheel in the 911 are more fitting of a sports car than that in the corvette which are more suited to a typical commuter car.
The steering wheel looks like its out of a saturn..?

the biggest problem i have is with the interior is how coarse the trim material is... its so flat and coarse that if i brush my knuckels on the door trim it leaves trails, I can write on them like a chalk board

well that and the Bluetooth system SUCKS!!!! no visual audio and voice control only

slightly O/T
but as for the driving "feel" as a whole it feels on par with my last 07 BMW 335i.

the beemer always had minor rattles, the Vette has only one in the seat belt retractor area over bumps

obviously i chose the vette for the FUN factor vs. fit/ finnish
at same time I DEFINATLY would pay for nicer interior surfaces in the various trim levels..

for the price of this car, it should have the 4lt leather coverage as standard. that also covers up most of the very cheap American looking plastics.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:26 AM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

Fair enough.

I guess it depends on one's definition of "shiny". The buttons are certainly not gloss finished, and they certainly aren't flat finished. Do they have a soft luster? Yes.
Agreed. I was never enamored with the center stack in the car and how it is so "sectioned". The door panels are made of leather which is nice but the dashboard, while wrapped in very tight thin leather, is very hard to the touch and just looks/feels cheap. That, along with the drab monotone finish, odd looking buttons, and ugly steering wheel just isn't appealing to me.

I know you are a big Porsche fan. I am as well (although not to the degree that you are). I think they make fanstastic vehicles that are very well put together. I'm pretty sure that my 997S was an anomaly in how bad it rattled.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:51 AM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

For those of you that b!tch about the Vette sterring wheel (I'm not the biggest fan of it either), this is the steering wheel in a 997.1 Porsche 911S. Pretty damn ugly and cheap looking too, is it not? ....not to mention that it is probably the skinniest steering wheel I've felt in a sportscar. To Porsche's defense they have improved it significantly with the 997.2. Hopefully, GM will hear everyone's complaints about the Vette's steering wheel and do the same. <<<<holds breath>>>>

Last edited by ALMS21; 03-10-2011 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:39 AM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 215 Likes on 81 Posts

did you seriously just say that???
hmmmmmm. every panel in that picture is plastic or vinyl. the only leather i see is the shift boot and wheel.

Last edited by m48xhp; 03-10-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:50 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by hokieZ
Well since you asked......

I am certain I am not the first to list these, but here are my griefs with the interior. This is from 3 years with my 07 3LT

1. Seats are made of VERY low quality leather. Come on, I have never seen leather this bad. My 99 Mustang had much better leather. Every car I have been in with leather seats are better than mine.
2. Seat padding is entirely too thin.
3. Center radio bezel and associated grey bits is made of extremely cheap plastic and doesn't match the rest of the interior at all. They did improve this in 08 though.
4. Steering wheel center Vette Logo is too easy to dent when using the horn. Inexcusable. Of course the steering wheel in and of itself is cheap and the same as the HHR among other cars.
5. Center console lid cover is really cheap looking low quality vinyl. At least I could replace that easily enough.
6. The trunk cover is like a black shower curtain. So unnecessarily cheap.
7. The ashtray is not flush with the rest of the dash on many vettes. Poor QA.
8. Premium Bose radio amp and speakers are just the pits for sound quality and volume. Most cheap-o rental cars have a better sound system than the "high-end" Bose.

Just because I buy the car and love th exterior and drive train doesn't mean I have to be happy with the highest trim model having a worse interior than a 20K car, and worse than most other GM interiors.

It is entirely too late for them to fix the C6 interior. We'll see about the C7.
You hit this just right from a C6 owner for five years.Some items as you said have been corrected.The seat padding/bolsters in the Z cars,base sound system sounds much better? I removed the "curtain" Cobalt steering wheel?.Lucky for GM they produce and I spent my hard earned $ getting one of the top 10 fastest production cars on the planet. Source-Road and Track 4/2011
Old 03-10-2011, 10:04 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by m48xhp
hmmmmmm. every panel in that picture is plastic or vinyl. the only leather i see is the shift boot and wheel.
The big difference is that EVERY option on the porsche can be picked a la carte.

You can get no leather, partial leather or full leather packages without having to spend an arm and a leg on 20 other options you don't want.

Same goes for the steering wheel. My dad go the thick leather option on the wheel (partial leather elsewhere) and it's one of the nicest feeling steering wheels I've ever used.

If corvette offered a "full leather" or "partial leather" option to be bought outright or steering wheel and seat options as porsche does most of my complaints would be gone. My gripe with GM is that WE DON'T HAVE AN OPTION.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Notch
Safety Car

For those of you that b!tch about the Vette sterring wheel (I'm not the biggest fan of it either), this is the steering wheel in a 997.1 Porsche 911S.
IMO that is an ugly steering wheel. It is also too small in terms of grip size.

The issues I personally have with both the 996 and 997 interiors is not the quality of the materials or the quality of construction, but with the trend towards the "GT" look/function and away from the "sports car" look/function. The steering wheel is just one example of this.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

You guys crack me up. Life must be tough if your biggest concern is arguing over whether your Porsche or your Corvette has a worse interior.

I think you guys forget sometimes how lucky you are to own one of the world's greatest sports cars. Some of you have also been even more fortunate to not only own a Vette but other desirable sports cars such as Porsche or exotics like Ferrari and Lambo etc...As far as I'm concerned you guys really don't have much to complain about.

You could be in my shoes:
- Last Vette,'97 C5 coupe, sold March 2002. Stuck driving a scratched, dented, squeaky 2002 model yr. truck w/115K on the clock. Wife driving a 2004 SUV w/155K on the clock.
- All retirement savings gone (as in ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH)
- All credit & credit rating gone (as in filed BK last summer)
- Still have the IRS breathing down my neck & I pay them monthly.
- Have a rental home where the rent the tenants pay only covers P&I but not the taxes, insurance, & HOA dues. I bought it new in 2001 & will be lucky if I can sell it this year for the same price I paid for it 10 yrs. ago!!!
- For the last 2 years I've been living in a small 1,620 sq. ft. 25 year old house that doesn't even have a garage. The only thing I like about this house is the 6 wooded acres it sits on.

I could go on but I think you get the picture. So life could be a lot worse than owning a C6 and/or a Porsche with a cheap interior. I would be happy to own either of them right now.

Hopefully, Chevy will rectify the interior issue with the C7.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:48 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by Oneslackr
You guys crack me up. Life must be tough if your biggest concern is arguing over whether your Porsche or your Corvette has a worse interior.

I think you guys forget sometimes how lucky you are to own one of the world's greatest sports cars. Some of you have also been even more fortunate to not only own a Vette but other desirable sports cars such as Porsche or exotics like Ferrari and Lambo etc...As far as I'm concerned you guys really don't have much to complain about.

- Last Vette,'97 C5 coupe, sold March 2002. Stuck driving a scratched, dented, squeaky 2002 model yr. truck w/115K on the clock. Wife driving a 2004 SUV w/155K on the clock.
- Have a rental home where the rent the tenants pay only covers P&I but not the taxes, insurance, & HOA dues. I bought it new in 2001 & will be lucky if I can sell it this year for the same price I paid for it 10 yrs. ago!!!
- For the last 2 years I've been living in a small 1,620 sq. ft. 25 year old house that doesn't even have a garage. The only thing I like about this house is the 6 wooded acres it sits on.

I could go on but I think you get the picture. So life could be a lot worse than owning a C6 and/or a Porsche with a cheap interior. I would be happy to own either of them right now.
Nice story, but none of that has anything to do with the fact that the C6 interior is sub-par.

Get notified of new replies

To $45 bucks more for 911 Interior ?

Old 03-10-2011, 01:50 PM
jamesbertero
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oneslackr

Hopefully, Chevy will rectify the interior issue with the C7.
Sorry for your misfortune pardner, but car people are gonna argue about cars no matter what. It's what makes this place fun. I hope things get better for you and your family and there is another Corvette waiting for you somewhere down the road
Old 03-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Nice story, but none of that has anything to do with the fact that the C6 interior is sub-par.
What is par?
Old 03-10-2011, 02:00 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by Racer
What is par?
I would say it would be fair to say "par" is in relation to other vehicles in a similar price range.

The ZL1 Camaro and CTS-V are examples of GM cars that will be similarly priced, have awesome value in class when it comes to power, handling, etc... and have much nicer interiors than the vette.

Like I said. I'd be really happy to see the Vette offered as a bare-bones 1lt option for low 40s and then have a lot of a la carte items to be added such as sport seats, steering wheel, leather options, and so on to build it up to a world class 60k+ sports car.

Just my views, of course.

Last edited by FloydSummerOf68; 03-10-2011 at 02:04 PM.

Quick Reply: $45 bucks more for 911 Interior ?