C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3M Scotchprint Wrap vs Di-Noc??

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 01:04 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

Default 3M Scotchprint Wrap vs Di-Noc??

Was at a car show yesterday and 3M had booths set up demonstrating a new (?) product - Scotchprint Wraps.

These come in Carbon Fibre as well as other matte and brushed metal finishes and are for wrapping entire vehicles or doing stripes.

I was planning to do some interior bits in Di-Noc and was wondering if anyone has ever seen the Scotchprint and Di-Noc products side-by-side?

The CF sample of the Scotchprint they were handing out at the show is not that textured, while I have heard the Di-Noc is?

Also, the Scotchprint is obviously made for exterior applications, while I don't think 3M recommends the Di-Noc for exterior bits.

Please chime in if you any info comparing these two products.

Thanks

vetfever
Old 03-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Xedes
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never heard of the Scotchprint. I did order the Di-noc for my interior but the site says its for exterior as well. I've seen a few cars at shows with the roof/hood& spoilers covered in the DiNoc.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:02 PM
PrimeTime327
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should have pics up Saturday night on my exterior (halo, top, mirrors, and full width spoiler) with 3M Di-Noc carbon fiber vinyl install..
Next week it will get three coats of clear so I can Rejex the heck out of it!
I chose to go this route instead of painting those items black, even though the blackout look is great!
Old 03-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Bob Tomyn
Intermediate

I'm looking forward to your pictures. Did you do the wrap yourself? I've considered doing the halo with the Di NOC carbon fiber, and was wondering if I could do it myself.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by PrimeTime327
I should have pics up Saturday night on my exterior (halo, top, mirrors, and full width spoiler) with 3M Di-Noc carbon fiber vinyl install..
I chose to go this route instead of painting those items black, even though the blackout look is great!
How do you prep the pieces for clear, especially the large pieces.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by VETFEVER
Was at a car show yesterday and 3M had booths set up demonstrating a new (?) product - Scotchprint Wraps.

These come in Carbon Fibre as well as other matte and brushed metal finishes and are for wrapping entire vehicles or doing stripes.

I was planning to do some interior bits in Di-Noc and was wondering if anyone has ever seen the Scotchprint and Di-Noc products side-by-side?

The CF sample of the Scotchprint they were handing out at the show is not that textured, while I have heard the Di-Noc is?

Also, the Scotchprint is obviously made for exterior applications, while I don't think 3M recommends the Di-Noc for exterior bits.

Please chime in if you any info comparing these two products.

Thanks

vetfever
I believe there is a 4 year warranty for exterior use with the Di-Noc, hope so Just got a large roll for my Wifes vette.....
Old 03-14-2011, 04:38 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Please post them here or let us know of your thread if you post them elsewhere.

Thing about the 3M Scotchprint is that it is made for wrapping the entire car so it is made for outdoors whereas I don't believe Di-Noc is - this is probably why they came out with this new product.

What I want to find out is if the Scotchprint CF has the same textured feel as the Di-Noc for my interior project.

Gotta look this up at the 3M website as well....
Old 03-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by VETFEVER
Please post them here or let us know of your thread if you post them elsewhere.

Thing about the 3M Scotchprint is that it is made for wrapping the entire car so it is made for outdoors whereas I don't believe Di-Noc is - this is probably why they came out with this new product.

What I want to find out is if the Scotchprint CF has the same textured feel as the Di-Noc for my interior project.

Gotta look this up at the 3M website as well....
Well Jack, since you don't seem to beleive me....
3M DI−NOC Films are durable, cleanable, flexible PVC films. Use DI−NOC film in place of or to enhance natural materials. These films have excellent adhesion and flexibility, allowing them to be used indoors or outdoors on flat or complex curved substrates, automotive, walls, furniture and fixtures,with 3D effect and waterproof & heat resistant.
4 year outdoor/12 year indoor lifespan*
Old 03-14-2011, 11:51 PM
jpuli28
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coincidentally I spoke with 3M today... Scotchprint 1080 Im gonna wrap the vette in Matte Silver, Brushed Titanium or Brushed Blue Steel. Although I did request a sample of the entire 1080 line up. 1080 is a 1 yr horizontal warranty and a 3 yr vertical warranty.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...gl9P1G6X59BRbl
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...Fleet-Vehicle/
CF version in this model, http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...gl9V2N1QDCSVbl

Last edited by jpuli28; 03-15-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:42 AM
jpuli28
Melting Slicks

Online swatches...

http://www.americansignproducts.com/...a/3M_1080.html
Old 03-15-2011, 04:11 AM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Houston Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14
I believe in the Beer Fairy

hmmm never heard of it. Its too bad they don't make a laminated real carbon fiber
Old 03-15-2011, 08:27 AM
PrimeTime327
Instructor

Originally Posted by Racer
How do you prep the pieces for clear, especially the large pieces.
Hey guys,

From what I've been told, it's pretty simple. Just wipe it down with a damp cloth prior to clear coating. That sounded easy enough until I realized how much "masking off" has to be done to protect from overspray
I'm removing both the top and spoiler to minimize some of the labor involved.

Last edited by PrimeTime327; 03-15-2011 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Can't spell today
Old 03-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Hey guys,

From what I've been told, it's pretty simple. Just wipe it down with a damp cloth prior to clear coating. That sounded easy enough until I realized how much "masking off" has to be done to protect from overspray
I'm removing both the top and spoiler to minimize some of the labor involved.

Hmm interesting, my question comes from over 25 years of painting experience...how does clear stick to a large unsanded area?
Old 03-15-2011, 10:41 AM
PrimeTime327
Instructor

Hmm interesting, my question comes from over 25 years of painting experience...how does clear stick to a large unsanded area?

Racer check this out..
http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/blog/...oating-di-noc/
Old 03-15-2011, 10:41 AM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Well Jack, since you don't seem to beleive me....
Tony - Not doubting you - just wondering how Scotchprint is different fom D-Noc and why they were positioning Scotchprint as the exterior wrap over Di-Noc at the show the other day.

When I get a few minutes i an going to call one of the 3M dealers and ask some questions....
Old 03-15-2011, 07:16 PM
jpuli28
Melting Slicks

Ok, spoke with 3M again today...

Scotchprint 1080 CF has the same durability as the Di Noc. Di Noc is indoor AND outdoor use. Both have the same warranty 1yr horizontal 3yr vertical, both products are too new to have a better warranty (ie limited testing time period).
The 1080 CF looks more like CF than the Di Noc as it is not as perfectly symmetrical as the Di Noc design.
1080 is the newest product line and easier to work with than the Di Noc for larger areas.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Thanks, I see they also don't endorse clear coating the product. If you are going to apply this to a piece for outer use (especially a large area piece) I cannot see it sticking for long (stones, high water pressure etc) I wonder if you could scuff it with a red scotch brite pad and then clear coat it, at least it would have some sort of adhesion. I am not sure if it would screw up the C/F look or not. Hmmm...

Get notified of new replies

To 3M Scotchprint Wrap vs Di-Noc??

Old 03-15-2011, 10:08 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

My experience with the Di Noc is that when covered with a clear it washes out the textured appearance. It just looks black.

I've used lacquer, enamels and hard poly resins and they all lost the textured appearance of the Di Noc
Old 03-15-2011, 10:14 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by glenB
My experience with the Di Noc is that when covered with a clear it washes out the textured appearance. It just looks black.

I've used lacquer, enamels and hard poly resins and they all lost the textured appearance of the Di Noc
Yep thats exactly what happened when I did it. I switched to another one with clear coat already on it that looks more like real cf.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:55 PM
jpuli28
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 355Spider
Yep thats exactly what happened when I did it. I switched to another one with clear coat already on it that looks more like real cf.
And which "one" was that?

Quick Reply: 3M Scotchprint Wrap vs Di-Noc??