C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Vette, Few Things

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 11:22 PM
k4k9
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1st Vette, Few Things

This is the first Corvette I've bought... Help me out...? It's a 2008.

1) when I open the driver door.. i hear some static interference... it almost sounds like its coming from the warning speaker that makes the ding sound... is this typical... I have aftermarket system in the car all professionally installed which could be messing with it... or is this a standard thing?

2)If i cut the wheel real sharp.. like coming out of a parking spot... it really jumps and jerks around is that just the grip of the front and rear tires fighting each other...?

3)How much are a front set of run flats gonna usually run?

4)I'm getting like 30+ miles per gallon on the expressway going around 65-70... does that sound right... i can't believe the kind of gas mileage with a 430 hp car.

5)I jacked the car up and did an oil change.. i also looked under the car and noticed stickers on some of the parts like the sway bar and strut assembly... is that how they come from the factory or are these probably replacements?

6)there is one factory sticker on the side of the hood towards the front of the car... is that the only factory sticker that i should look for?

7) When its cold or i just start the car my exhaust rattles quite a bit... also are general vibrations throughout the cabin seem to be common?

What if any should i go to the dealership about i have 2 months left on the full warranty 3 year 36k warranty and don't want to seem crazy.

Thanks a lot i really do appreciate it.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:27 PM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1: don't know
2: normal with all wide tire sports cars
3: $500+
4: yes, normal milage
5: factory stickers
6: not real sure what you mean by this, I usually don't pay attention to stickers. there are stickers on the door jams too that are factory.
7: if you have a warranty take it in but are you sure its the factory exhaust. very common to go with aftermarket exhaust. clamp might just need to be tightened. as for general rattling its a Chevy not a MB. I have some rattling but nothing that bothers me.

Last edited by gunterwalker; 03-16-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:29 PM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

#1. Should be no static noise. Have it checked out.

#2. Normal

#3. Don't know. Depends on the brand. Check TireRack.com.

#4. Normal

Rest of it I don't know. If it's still under warranty, take it to the dealer and
go over your concerns.

Congrats on the car.

Last edited by Marc V.; 03-16-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:30 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

1.Not normal
2-7 see guterwalker
Old 03-16-2011, 11:34 PM
k4k9
Advanced

Default Great new thanks

6) there's a factory sticker on the inside of the hood right by the front hinges... Is that the only sticker cuz the 07s have it on the intake...

Everything I know about cars tells me this thing is fine but I just wanna make sure it wasn't wrecked.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:35 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,075 Likes on 533 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

1- no clue
2- this is normal tires are wide and it feels like they skip on slow turns with steering turned all the way, like pulling into driway
3 Supercars are about $600 for 2
4-Thats good I get 28mpg
5- normal to have sticker, i have them

6-never notice if I have one going to look tomorrow
7- take the vette to the dealer have fixed should not rattle if car has stock exhaust system
8-congratulations and enjoy your vette , we need to see pictures
Old 03-16-2011, 11:52 PM
k4k9
Advanced

Default Added a picture

2008 22k, From what your saying sounds like its collision free.
I have a pioneer navi system with iphone hook up, amplified speakers, & bluetooth.
6spd manual.

What should I have paid in the chicago market?
Old 03-17-2011, 12:10 AM
tizz
Instructor

cant wait until my gas mileage gets that good. i have 830 miles on my GS and my gas mileage is a tiny bit better than the h2 hummer i traded in. not that i bought the gs for MPG..just saying.

Last edited by tizz; 03-17-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:33 AM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

No. 1- That "static" sound could be the key fob interfacing with the car's computer. See if it if makes any noise if the fob is not near the car.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:20 AM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may want to think twice about replacing just the front tires. Do into a Discount Tire store and ask them to show you a video on why this isn't recommended.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

1) not normal...did you notice this problem before you had your "after market system" installed. If you can disable/disconnect the system and then see if the static persists.

2) normal parking lot front tire 'scrub.'

3)I haven't bought runflats in a long time but I'd guess around $1,000. Easy to find out though.

4) Entirely feasible....I averaged just over 30 mpg on certain legs of an Interstate trip years ago.

5) Many original, factory components (like the anti-sway bars) have stickers on them. That doesn't mean they're after market or replacement parts.

6) The sticker on the glove compartment door contains a great deal of information about your car (do a search for the list of codes used).

7) A small amount of exhaust rattle is normal but it shouldn't be anything too noticeable or annoying. I've got a fully built engine in my car...when I start the car it physically shakes. I don't have any interior rattles...everything is pretty tight. Try to see exactly what is rattling...maybe its just a matter of tightening something to fix it.

Unless you're having a particular problem I don't know that there's any real mechanical work you need to have done (at the dealership) before your warranty runs out. There haven't been many recalls affecting the C6 but I'd make sure any applicable recall work has been done (although, a recall would likely survive your warranty expiration). You might review TSB's (technical service bulletins) but keep in-mind these are not the same as a recall. You might ask your dealership service advisor to review your car's status to make sure everything is good to go. Perhaps, have them check to make sure your harmonic balancer is tight and spinning true. You probably would have already noticed but check for any leaks. If you're really worried (and want to bet against the reliability of your car) you could look into buying an after market service contract. Good luck!
Old 03-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Corby
Pro

)5 I have several stickers on the underside of mine, I assume they are from the factory.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:15 PM
luv2getaway
Advanced

#2 Is the limited slip differential. Sometimes it chatters as well but no need to worry. It feels like it wants to straighten out but just throttle up a little the the rear will come around just nicely!

Get notified of new replies

To 1st Vette, Few Things

Quick Reply: 1st Vette, Few Things