C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crappy Corvette Audio System Has One Major Advantage

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:56 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit1
Polk db 351's for the front twiddlers and db 531's for the rear. Boston Acoustics are also a favorite...S35's for the front and S55's for the rear.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Disconnect the center speaker, replace the other Bose ones with Polks and add a pair of tweeters in the front and voila!

A pretty damn good sounding Bose system.
Is there a easy way to disconnect the center speaker without taking the dash apart ? that is the only speaker that i hear on FM,but put a good CD in & the system sounds petty good if you turn up the volume.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I rather doubt the thief choosing your brother's vehicle had anything to do with his/her opinion of the respective quality of the two units. I'd bet the other vehicle was simply an easier target. If it will make you feel better about your unit, keep a good thought....maybe the thief will return and steal your's.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I rather doubt the thief choosing your brother's vehicle had anything to do with his/her opinion of the respective quality of the two units. I'd bet the other vehicle was simply an easier target. If it will make you feel better about your unit, keep a good thought....maybe the thief will return and steal your's.
I respectfully disagree; if he did no damage to the vehicle, he knew what he was doing.
Fair to assume then that he also knew that the NAV that he stole is good for several different GM vehicles, and therefore has a better market value than the wonderful Corvette specific NAV that we get stuck with.

Paul
Old 04-27-2011, 11:39 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,403 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by dardenken
Is there a easy way to disconnect the center speaker without taking the dash apart ? that is the only speaker that i hear on FM,but put a good CD in & the system sounds petty good if you turn up the volume.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1562586389-post124.html
Old 05-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Bandit1
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dardenken
You have to remove the plastic grille over the speaker/speaker vents. Take your time and be patient...it's plastic, relatively thin and flexible. It's held in with the usual clips (5). Remove the four small screws attaching the speaker to the dash panel, disconnect the speaker, zip tie the speaker wire so it won't rattle, reinstall the speaker and grill and you're done.

My bad...didn't see KenHorse's link. That is perfect direction and the easiest way to access the center speaker.

Last edited by Bandit1; 05-06-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:15 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Maybe it was a crime of opportunity (perhaps my brother's doors were unlocked), but he's not typically a forgetful guy that would do something like that. And, although my Vette is a dream car to me, it's by no means the nicest car typically parked in the area...within 5 adjoining spaces there's also my dad's Lexus, a DD Aston Martin DB9, and often an Aston Martin Vantage (at least I think it's a Vantage...it's got no badge)....although on the day of the theft, it was just my Vette and the Yukon.

Anyway, I typically listen to older music anyway, so the Vette radio is probably the equipment that the music originally mixed for anyway!
Old 05-06-2011, 04:36 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I personally wouldn't waste $1800 on the NAV option, not when you can buy the top of the line Kenwood for less installed.

Also I wouldn't blame Bose. They built the system based on the price GM offered them which probably wasn't much. I wouldn't put my company's name on it though.

Quick Reply: Crappy Corvette Audio System Has One Major Advantage