C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many people change your brake fluid ?????????

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet 1.0 labor and plus fliud. I use to charge .8 with other maintenance work or 1.0 just stand alone. When I retired labor was in the mid $60 per hour. Did lots of this on imports. Domestic owners weren't as keen about servicing like import owners.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:18 PM
kevakasper
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

My car has 13K on it, changed the fluid when I painted my calipers a few months ago The old fluid was pretty nasty!
Old 05-10-2011, 09:24 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
How much does the stealership charge for this? I'm not a brake guy.
Can't tell you what a dealer will charge, but figure it this way: about 2 pts. maybe $9 +/-, plus about under an hour for labor, maybe $60.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:39 PM
cwing85b
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
What I do every 3 years at the same time I jack it up to inspect underneath. This worked well for me although fluid in the ABS system does not get changed. Need 2 pints of DOT 4 fluid and 2 drain pans.

1- Jack car, pull wheels
2- Suck fluid from master cylinder with baster, protecting bodywork, then pour in new fluid
3- put drain pans under right rear and left front calipers, open bleed screws and gravity bleed for 15 minutes. Fluid should start to run clear. MAKE SURE reservoir does not run dry
4-tighten bleeders, fill fluid and repeat for left rear and right front
5- tighten, fill and clean up fluid dripping off calipers
Old 05-10-2011, 10:35 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default WHy Change Brake Fluid

Just changed brake fluid on an '08 with 20K mi. It looked pretty well roasted and had a lot of rust.

This article has a very good explanation of why brake fluid needs to be changed.

Given the ABS and how the stability control uses the brakes to steer the car I would think it's much more important to keep the fluid clean than in the old days.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brake fluid is not in a sealed system. It absorbs moisture and that will adversely affect the boiling point of the fluid.

It also leads to rust internally and deterioration of internal seals. That's why fluid will turn darker in color in time. The fluid should be clear.

Unless you are tracking your car, 2 times a year is quite excessive.

Every 2-3 years is a good interval otherwise.

You can definitely feel an improvement in pedal feel with new fluid.

The turkey baster method is good to get the fluid out of the reservior. Fill with clean fluid and bleed the brakes at each wheel to flush the old fluid from the lines and calipers. ABS bleeding is benefical, but not necessary.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:59 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Interesting article. I have found the hydraulics rust and fail before the pads if the fluid is not changed. If its kept changed it may last the life of the car. ABS units are expensive so if they leak big cost.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:14 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLs3
Now which DOT fluid should i use. the owner manuals says DOT3 only but im guessing back in 2005 thats the only dot that was available.

I use Prestone DOT 4 synthetic for my clutch fluid changes and on the bottle it says that you can use the Prestone DOT 4 for any dot 3 or dot 4 system and its compatable with any conventional brake fluids.

when i went to grab the bottle of prestone DOT 3 synthetic fluid it didnt say that it was compatable with any other fluids so thats why i didnt buy it.

What do you guys recommend? should i USe the Prestone DOT 4 or should i just go to the GM parts store and get there brake fluid?

you can use DOT 4 year-round; has a higher boiling point.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:33 PM
1Corvette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You got some good advice here, but one thing nobody mentioned is this. Try to buy brake fluid that is new at the store. (Talk to the parts guys) Even though the plastic container is sealed, plastic is porous and the brake fluid is hygroscopic. It will absorb moisture from the air in a sealed container. Don't know this for a fact but have read it in several articles from trusted sources, so I believe it. I change mine annually or whenever I rotate tires on my other vehicles and annually on the Corvette. It is proven to help parts, especially ABS controllers to last longer and have less long term failures. I recommend a change every two years to friends. I always use the brake fluid listed on the cap.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:37 PM
Batman 357
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

I changed my 08's at 11k. It sees some autocross days but no track time, yet...
Old 05-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
you can use DOT 4 year-round; has a higher boiling point.

DOT 4 is compatible with DOT 3.

But DOT 3 is not reverse compatible, meaning you cannot use DOT 3 in a DOT 4 system.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:12 AM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc V.

DOT 4 is compatible with DOT 3.

But DOT 3 is not reverse compatible, meaning you cannot use DOT 3 in a DOT 4 system.

yes, that's true. Good clarification--thx.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:52 AM
enzo550m
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every year if I've tracked the car...more heat, more moisture = more corrosion.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:08 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Yes, every two years. The reasons have been addressed by others above.

The old fluid I remove is not pretty, but not extra chunky, either, just discolored (due to water absorption and resulting corrosion).

It's very easy to do, I do it in parallel with taking off the tires and wheels when I clean them and do suspension and brake inspections.

Only adds about 15 minutes to my routine, or about 1/2 a beer.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:32 AM
Ketchum
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a shop that charges $60 buck a hour these days ? The ones I know its more like $ 80 plus per hour.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:25 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I think you have converted me to be a brake fluid changer. I just HATE to take it to the dealer for something that I can't do myself that would only cost 20 bucks at home. I do my own oil changes but don't feel comfortable messing with the brakes. Oh well ,I guess I will go bend over at the dealer and get it done.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Good luck at the dealership. Let us know how it goes.

Brent
GM Customer Service

Get notified of new replies

To How many people change your brake fluid ?????????

Old 05-11-2011, 01:17 PM
TLK
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Originally Posted by 1Corvette
You got some good advice here, but one thing nobody mentioned is this. Try to buy brake fluid that is new at the store. (Talk to the parts guys) Even though the plastic container is sealed, plastic is porous and the brake fluid is hygroscopic. It will absorb moisture from the air in a sealed container.
This is true, so if you buy brake fluid in a plastic container (I use Castrol LMA in some of my cars), you want to get one that hasn't been sitting around for a while.

Some fluids like Ate Super Blue (or Ate Typ 200 - same thing in amber color) come in a metal can, which allows you longer shelf life before opening. This is what I use in my sports cars,
Old 05-11-2011, 09:48 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I think you have converted me to be a brake fluid changer. I just HATE to take it to the dealer for something that I can't do myself that would only cost 20 bucks at home. I do my own oil changes but don't feel comfortable messing with the brakes. Oh well ,I guess I will go bend over at the dealer and get it done.
It really is no more difficult changing brake fluid than changing the oil, especially since you can gravity bleed a Corvette and if you are willing to spend a little time.

There is an instructional post earlier that explains how but it is good to have someone who has done it before help the first time. I'm sure you local Corvette club can help. It is easier to show someone than describe.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Thrill6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never changed the brake fluid in any of my cars before, but after reading all the posts, looks like I found my next project for my 2007.

Quick Reply: How many people change your brake fluid ?????????