C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do I do with the coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 03:15 AM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

Default What do I do with the coolant?

I plan on draining my coolant through the petcock. What do I catch it in, and what do I do with it?
Old 05-11-2011, 03:39 AM
La Orange
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can bring it to most auto pasts stores to recycle it
Old 05-11-2011, 06:46 AM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just dump it in your neighbors yard.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:49 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

My trash company picks it up with a phone call. Same with oil, filters old batteries etc.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:52 AM
sweeper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem with a barking dog in your neighborhood? They love it.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:00 AM
Tukon44
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sweeper
You might think it's funny, but you really have issues man.

Some poeple just might read this and not be very bright and kill the neighbors dog doing what you suggested. You are a sicko.

And dumping it in the ground it will get into the water table eventually --- thats why its always encougaged to take removed fulids to the auto store for recycle or even your county might have a recycle canter to drop it off for free.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:24 AM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I inquired at Advance Auto by me and they said they don't take it, my brother works at a Penske rental & service center, they have a recycle drum so i handed it off to him ha ha.
Call Advance or Autozone first, may save yourself a trip, good luck.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:02 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Tukon44
You might think it's funny, but you really have issues man.

Some poeple just might read this and not be very bright and kill the neighbors dog doing what you suggested. You are a sicko.

And dumping it in the ground it will get into the water table eventually --- thats why its always encougaged to take removed fulids to the auto store for recycle or even your county might have a recycle canter to drop it off for free.
Thats right never give a dog antifreeze.

Save it for the cats
Old 05-11-2011, 08:04 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

You could always put the old antifreeze into a container and put it in a trash bag with the rest of the trash.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:43 AM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

catch it in anything that will contain it

CALL your local auto parts stores or shops someone will take it and dispose of it for you.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:19 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

some gas stations, some auto parts stores, some auto repair facilities and most municipal or county land fill/recycling locations take antifreeze. but, as said above, call first and ask specifically about antifreeze because some stores only take oil, and some repair shops won't take cars they're not working on. it's much easier than driving around with a couple jugs of this in your car looking for a place to do your good deed.

when you drain it, collect it in a bucket or pan like an oil drain pan (make sure whatever you collect it in doesn't have oil residue, and clean afterwards with paper towels and then wash well w. soap). then with those plastic gallon jugs from anything (detergent, water, soda 2 liters, windshield washer fluid, etc. you can even use the gallon jug the new antifreeze came in.) pour it in and make sure it's sealed tightly for the trip to the store/landfill/repair shop. I put the bottles in a milk crate in back so it can't fall over, even tho well-sealed. I also don't use those plastic jugs that have the press-on caps---they pop open!

whatever you do, don't feed it to anything (highly toxic) or let it drain out into the ground.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
some gas stations, some auto parts stores, some auto repair facilities and most municipal or county land fill/recycling locations take antifreeze. but, as said above, call first and ask specifically about antifreeze because some stores only take oil, and some repair shops won't take cars they're not working on. it's much easier than driving around with a couple jugs of this in your car looking for a place to do your good deed.

when you drain it, collect it in a bucket or pan like an oil drain pan (make sure whatever you collect it in doesn't have oil residue, and clean afterwards with paper towels and then wash well w. soap). then with those plastic gallon jugs from anything (detergent, water, soda 2 liters, windshield washer fluid, etc. you can even use the gallon jug the new antifreeze came in.) pour it in and make sure it's sealed tightly for the trip to the store/landfill/repair shop. I put the bottles in a milk crate in back so it can't fall over, even tho well-sealed. I also don't use those plastic jugs that have the press-on caps---they pop open!

whatever you do, don't feed it to anything (highly toxic) or let it drain out into the ground.
Correct answer...>>>>>
Old 05-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sweeper
I'm sure it was meant as a joke but that's cold!
Old 05-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I think antifreeze manufactured today is not toxic. Be very careful with pets, they seem to be attracted to the smell. My dog even started to sniff an area where I had spilled antifreeze, the area had been wiped and the residue was dry. I chased her and cleaned the area again.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:41 AM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MARSC6
Thats right never give a dog antifreeze.

Save it for the cats

You might think it's funny, but you really have issues also.
Cats are no less a companion animal than the pet dog, and have just as much right to exist.

Some people just might read this and stupid or hateful and kill the neighbors cat doing what you suggested. You are also a sicko.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:15 AM
bb996+r1
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would say just pour it down the Missouri river.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:34 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

You people are sick, sick, sick...and don't have a clue what to do with this stuff. You collect it in an empty plastic quart container (like a soda bottle), add some Kool-Aid mix, and give it to the neighbors that you don't like.

Get notified of new replies

To What do I do with the coolant?

Old 05-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
I think antifreeze manufactured today is not toxic. Be very careful with pets, they seem to be attracted to the smell. My dog even started to sniff an area where I had spilled antifreeze, the area had been wiped and the residue was dry. I chased her and cleaned the area again.
Don't know about that one, as if ethylene glycol, same stuff that's been used for year's, and considered toxic. If propylene glycol(which is rare), you can actually drink the stuff, and not a disposal problem. While I'm basically a DIY person myself, considering coolant changes are only every 5 year's or so, just let a shop handle it.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:56 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I think any Wally World with a car center will take it, just like they do oil & filters. Don't quote me...call first.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:07 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Co'mon guys.....They were only joking about giving it to dogs n cats.....NOW, if someone wanted to put it in DONUTS for the LEO's....That person would be a SICKO....

Quick Reply: What do I do with the coolant?