C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone recently purchase a GS or any 2010-2011 C6 and regret not getting the CTS-V?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 05:19 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,561 Likes on 531 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by lastcowboy
NOPE...

driving impressions please! if you had to sell 1, and didn't need backseats, and both are manual - which do you get rid of?
Old 06-10-2011, 05:45 PM
richie15
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I was interested in a CTS-V coupe until I sat in one and found there's insufficient headroom and the "moon-roof" only tilts open slightly in the rear.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:03 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0Sick6
Hi guys, really looking for insight who have driven and compared both.

CTS-V SEDAN vs Grand Sport C6 (a new coupe is just simply over my spending limits on this other car) - I have a $50k limit.

I am really torn which car to purchase - I know there's pros and cons to both and I will explain my situation and I know that I am ultimately the one who needs to decide.

I don't have any children and don't plan to have any in the immediate (5 yr) future.. so the backseats are irrelevant to me, we can take my girlfriends car if extra room is needed.

Both cars are roughly the same speed stock.. I would tune and add a CAI to the GS, and I would get an intake, pulley and tune for the CTS-V, ultimately making the CTS-V the faster car because of this and its forced induction motor.

Interior quality/looks goes to the CTS-V for sure (dash, console, seats, etc). Exterior looks wise the GS takes the cake. I love the widebody and it truly looks exotic.

The CTS-V if I purchase will be a pre-owned 2010 and cost between 48-51K ... the GS will be a 2011 new 1LT which can be had for $48,500-$50K (depending on options).

I don't care about the new vs used debate.. the V will have 10k miles max.. that doesn't matter to me.

The cars will see 11k(about) miles per year.

Couple qualms about the GS is the looming of the C7... I buy this car, and I would think 2014 would be the C7 (coming out August of 2013) - That is my guess on it.. but what if it comes out fall 2012 as a 2013 model? I would be pretty upset.

The cts-v sedan although menacing looking, to me is very different then the coupe. Coupe looks quite different - the sedan looks more typical. The GS in JSB or Inferno Orange (the 2 colors I would decide to get) is just exotic looking.

So very torn. Maybe driving both.. but I can imagine the differences and appreciate both.
the CTS is replaced in 2014 smaller Car.
z51vett
Old 06-10-2011, 06:12 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0Sick6
Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

As I noted in my post, I know they are VERY different. I am a car guy. I love all types, verts, sedans, coupes... so for me it isn't I want a 2 seater sports car or I need a sedan. I appreciate both cars and what they offer.

I will agree that some replies are people who have not gotten behind the wheel of an 09+ CTS-V.

I have driven an 08 LS3 (I think the GS is a little quicker), and I have driven the 09 cts-v (buddy is a chief editor for an auto mag, and let me take it for a spin shh ) - Like I said, I appreciate both cars... The V I would get in auto, just seems right - the GS, no questions asked - MN6!

The car will be a daily driver... I have a 25 minute, 20 mile commute M-F which is 85% highway. I hear the 1 poster on the potholes!!! I am in NJ, definitely the worst season I can recall.

I went to look at a Grand Sport today (1st time seeing it in person). It is gorgeous/exotic. Then I pop up pics of the cts-v and the interior is amazing.

I believe the GS and the cts-v are pretty much neck and neck stock in all capacities performance wise. However like I said, for the roughly $1000 on intake/tune for the GS, for $1000 pulley swap, tune on the CTS-V, the V will be much quicker I believe.
If you go with the V don't get the Recaros hard as rocks and you sit up higher off the floor. My son inlaw barely gets in the regular seats the recaros made it impossible for him
6' 10"
Old 06-10-2011, 06:15 PM
toomuchcar
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no regrets at all I may get the CTS V next time I replace my other car though. Best of both worlds.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:22 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is hard to compare both because they are not the same type of cars. I would say drive both and see which one you like better.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:51 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the utmost respect for the CTS-V, but the Vette is in a class of it's own.

And it makes an outstanding daily driver too!
Old 06-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,089 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have a simple question for someone that knows a little about the CTS-V

I was looking at the engine specs on the CTS-V website (build your own)

It says the LSA engine in the CTS-V is 6.2L / 378 cu in.)

Our Corvette LS3 engine is 6.2L / 376 cu in.

I am confused. What's the difference in the engine bore? ... a typo on the CTS-V webpage?

http://www.cadillac.com/ctsVSedan/2011/features-specs/

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 06-10-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:07 PM
schmegeggie
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't the "V" stand for Vette-wanna be?
Old 06-10-2011, 07:57 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Both cars are VERY fast with the CTS-V generally being the quicker of the two cars (I've never seen a stock GS go 11s but have seen a number of CTS-Vs do it stock).

Both cars will be capable of handling beyond what any weekend warrior at the track can master.

CTS-V has a MUCH nicer interior and better build quality.

GS looks sportier.

Pick the one you like more.

Originally Posted by diyguy
This is like trying to compare a pure breed Racehorse to a F*ing donkey.

I had an 08 STS (granted not the -V) with every bell and whistle on it, and I grew to absolutely hate it! Took me nearly 2 months to sell it and I took a very dirty bath on it. Never again!
This post has to be a joke.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the thread.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:58 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I could have bought the V but then i would look at it just like i looked at my GTO thinking, "its not a Corvette"

I would buy it as a daily driver though.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Wynsnob
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dironvictorious
I have a 2007 C6 (LS2) and a 2010 CTS-V, both with 6 speed automatic and magnetic ride control.

The V is significantly faster - in terms of straight line acceleration. However, an LS3 vette is arguably as fast, if not faster.

Both will do the 1/4 mile in low 12's if not high 11's, where LS2 cars (like mine) are mid 12's. The LS2 is freer revving than the LSA (v engine), and has a more linear (smooth) power curve. LSA is absolutely brutal with instant torque. The LS3 closes the power/torque gap a bit.

With magnetic ride control the vette rides well, and after upgrading to Michelin PS2's has tremendous grip.

The vette is also more toss-able than the V. However, I actually find the V's steering to be quicker and lighter - and thus easier to drive with precision.

I believe newer vette's have an improved steering rack. So this difference/advantage might no longer apply.

Magnetic Ride Control is optional the vette (F55), but standard on all V's.

In tour mode, the V has better ride quality (smoothness), than the vette. In sport mode, the V still has a slight edge over the vette- even as compared to vette tour mode.

As a daily driver, the vette in some ways is more practical.

Vette's get better gas mileage. You can easily manage 30mpg on the highway, where the V is lucky to see low 20's. And despite being a sports car, the vette seems to handle poor roads better. I have loss a few tires on the V, to potholes (side wall bulge).

Granted I drive the V over worse roads, but it also has even lower profile front tires, comes with non runflats, and is over a 1000lbs heavier.

I am in the Northeast, and this has been one worse pothole seasons - so none of that may be an issue for you.

The vette also has surprisingly good cargo room, under neath the hatch.

Best of luck with your decision
Old 06-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

i love them both. would be nice to have the back seats to load the whole family in it. also the front seats are far superior on the V over the C6. both are wicked looking.

i gotta have the top off though. just me.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:37 PM
rons99
Burning Brakes

The CTS-V coupe is what made me decide to trade my '08 CTS that I had traded in my '04 C5 on. I was ready to buy 'til I decided to check the C6. Didn't really care for the base model - that's why I bought the '04 rather than wait a couple of months for the C6. But when I saw the JSB GS it was love at first sight! Still very happy with my decision. Interestingly one of my car guy neighbors came home with a new CTS-V the same day. He had traded his STS-V. He took one look at my GS and really regretted buying the CTS-V. Regardless of anything else, the Corvette is in a class all by itself.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:59 PM
OSKVETTE
Intermediate

Why not buy a used Z06 forget about the CTS-v. z06 is faster and gets much better gas mileage. But I am biased!! LOL
Old 06-10-2011, 11:25 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I believe the CTS-V is being replaced with a newer body style in 2014. So even though the C7 is coming you have the same situation. I have driven both and I have to tell you the mpg of the CTS-V is horrible.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:31 PM
dironvictorious
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Having both, the attention each car gets from different folks is amusing. Vette people and muscle/classic car types give the vette a lot of attention. People who aren't into cars, likewise are more impressed/interested when hear have a vette. However, general "car folks" are more interested in the V. Especially owners/drivers of high end Euro cars, including even some guys with exotics.

In regards to seats, I have the recaros. I absolutely love them. I think a lot of the love/hate of recaros in v, and vette seats in general, has to do with body type. I have always been broad across shoulders, but put on some weight around middle right before got the vette. So, at first, didn't understand grips about vette seats. Now that I am back in shape, i do feel like slide around a bit - if don't tension the belts.

Conversely, my buddy has always been a big guy. Before the v, I had a Caddy STS and SRX. He always preferred the other caddy's to the vette. Now, that have v with recaros, he rather ride shotgun in the vette

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone recently purchase a GS or any 2010-2011 C6 and regret not getting the CTS-V?

Old 06-10-2011, 11:37 PM
dironvictorious
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by JLinNY
I have the utmost respect for the CTS-V, but the Vette is in a class of it's own.

And it makes an outstanding daily driver too!
I have both, and love them, but if had to choose one, it would be the vette. To be honest its arguably as practical, and in my experience lower maintenance than the v. If my vette was an LS3 with new steering, then would choosing one would probably be even easier. Again, this is not taking anything away from the v, but vette does so much, so well, so easily, for such a great price and low cost of ownership.

The best is of course having both, especially if vette is a Z51 or Z06. You would then probably have them most difference between the two, with one being NA lightweight trackster and other muscle car in a tuxedo.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Russell ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nope, I like my C6, it's got just enough pickup....
Old 06-11-2011, 08:21 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want a car with a curb weight similar to a truck and sucks lots of gas, the V's for you.

Quick Reply: Anyone recently purchase a GS or any 2010-2011 C6 and regret not getting the CTS-V?