C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Le Mans 24 hours

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 09:44 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,951 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I thought this was particularly telling and explanatory, esp since it's from both Mike Waltrip (a definite pro racer) and referencing McNish prior to the race. Notice the parts underlined, no matter if the GT drivers are pro or am....

"During a 4-minute lap, being 15 seconds off the pace will tick you off, but there's a lot of places on the track that if you err on the conservative side, you live to tell about it. You go over that edge, they'll be picking you out of the tires. We've seen a lot of cars crash, and I know that's not what we're here for; it takes patience to do this. You want to run more during a practice, but it takes so long to make a lap, and I had only 20 minutes. That's four laps. At Bristol, a fuel run is 130-140 laps. Here it's 12 laps.

There are a lot more buttons and switches on the Ferrari 458 than my Sprint Cup Toyota. There are a lot of things the driver can adjust and work on while driving and that the crew can monitor in real time. We have telemetry all over this car. I can change the traction control. I can have it be more effective or less depending on how the car's handling. I can change the mixture of fuel from rich to lean. Rich is faster but burns more fuel. When the track gets wet, there are several changes in the cockpit to make to keep performance up through traction control. There's a wiper and a defroster and all the parts of the puzzle to ensure you can see. One of the most difficult parts of racing in the rain is having good visibility.

We're running in the GTE division, and it can be very hard to stay out of the way of the prototype cars in the premier class. They tell you, "Hold your line, and they'll go around you," but one mistake can end your race. They're so much faster than the GTE cars. I know they're not supposed to run over me, but I need to do whatever I can to make sure I don't get run over. That means giving them the room to go. It's like a Formula One car catching you. The tricky part is you can't see well out of the car. You see lights behind you, and if it's a prototype, they consume you in seconds. Two-time Le Mans champion Allan McNish said the prototype drivers will commit a couple hundred yards before reaching a GT car. They lap 40 seconds quicker than us, so you deal with one every lap.

Mainly, it's been about just figuring out the track, though. I can close my eyes and drive around Watkins Glen and Sonoma, knowing every turn and where to be in the groove. But this circuit has 38 turns — which makes perfect sense with me being lost most of the time. It's more intense to learn. We practiced for four hours on the final session and wanted a couple more laps because you learn something every circuit. We're the only team in the field with three rookies, so we're experiencing everything together for the first time. With my co-drivers Robert Kauffman and Rui Aguas, we qualified 44th overall of 15th in class."

fr: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor...s-nascar_N.htm
Old 06-11-2011, 09:47 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by AORoads
yeah rob maybe I'll go make my crap post over there. some guy from wall street with lotsa dollars and mike waltrip as one of three drivers, makes a mistake, miscalculation, driver error. but doesn't touch a car going 180+. yeah that's exactly who rockenfeller wants to be on the track with. maybe some posters here LIKE to see crashes; I don't.

made no statement on the other ferrari incident.

right, it's not a minor error, not when another car disintegrates as result of that split second error. no idea exactly how much better the audis are now designed, but I'd say after watching two of them crash, my take is pretty well done. thankfully, for both drivers.
1. The two Ferraris involved did NOT hit either Audi. The first Audi driver had his head where the sun don't shine and hit the Ferrari. The driver of the Ferrari in the second shunt screwed up. You never do?

2. Drivers make errors. Maybe you don't make any in life, but you are the first since Jesus walked this earth.

3. The Ferrari in the second incident did NOT hit the Audi. However he did pinch down when he shouldn't have.

4. I do NOT like seeing crashes. My first race was in 1959, and I've seen a lot of them since. Losing friends is never nice.

5. Racing is dangerous and accidents happen. Why do you want to hammer this one incident? I'll withdraw my "crap post" if that makes you feel better.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:57 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

we agree on something: I don't like seeing crashes either. esp. since they don't always end the way these two did with drivers walking away (just about).

hammering on this incident? I don't think so. being signaled with lights in advance, those bright lights, I'll say possibly the lead driver just didn't see the lights. if that's so, maybe someone needs to think about that one.

the first incident/accident? I'll leave that to the experts---you sound like one---but my impression is it could have been a decent, or not judgment call. it will be debated by some for a long time, just not me.

and sure, you can withdraw your 'crap post' but you already made it.

after all, if it was so crappy of me to post up what I did, M. Waltrip wouldn't have written what he did long before the race which essentially reminded him, and most likely his teammates, just what the situation could be like out on the track. his was a statement of facts as he sees it, from his professional driving experience, and I respect that perspective quite a bit.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:59 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AORoads
I thought this was particularly telling and explanatory, esp since it's from both Mike Waltrip (a definite pro racer) and referencing McNish prior to the race. Notice the parts underlined, no matter if the GT drivers are pro or am....

"During a 4-minute lap, being 15 seconds off the pace will tick you off, but there's a lot of places on the track that if you err on the conservative side, you live to tell about it. You go over that edge, they'll be picking you out of the tires. We've seen a lot of cars crash, and I know that's not what we're here for; it takes patience to do this. You want to run more during a practice, but it takes so long to make a lap, and I had only 20 minutes. That's four laps. At Bristol, a fuel run is 130-140 laps. Here it's 12 laps.

There are a lot more buttons and switches on the Ferrari 458 than my Sprint Cup Toyota. There are a lot of things the driver can adjust and work on while driving and that the crew can monitor in real time. We have telemetry all over this car. I can change the traction control. I can have it be more effective or less depending on how the car's handling. I can change the mixture of fuel from rich to lean. Rich is faster but burns more fuel. When the track gets wet, there are several changes in the cockpit to make to keep performance up through traction control. There's a wiper and a defroster and all the parts of the puzzle to ensure you can see. One of the most difficult parts of racing in the rain is having good visibility.

We're running in the GTE division, and it can be very hard to stay out of the way of the prototype cars in the premier class. They tell you, "Hold your line, and they'll go around you," but one mistake can end your race. They're so much faster than the GTE cars. I know they're not supposed to run over me, but I need to do whatever I can to make sure I don't get run over. That means giving them the room to go. It's like a Formula One car catching you. The tricky part is you can't see well out of the car. You see lights behind you, and if it's a prototype, they consume you in seconds. Two-time Le Mans champion Allan McNish said the prototype drivers will commit a couple hundred yards before reaching a GT car. They lap 40 seconds quicker than us, so you deal with one every lap.

Mainly, it's been about just figuring out the track, though. I can close my eyes and drive around Watkins Glen and Sonoma, knowing every turn and where to be in the groove. But this circuit has 38 turns — which makes perfect sense with me being lost most of the time. It's more intense to learn. We practiced for four hours on the final session and wanted a couple more laps because you learn something every circuit. We're the only team in the field with three rookies, so we're experiencing everything together for the first time. With my co-drivers Robert Kauffman and Rui Aguas, we qualified 44th overall of 15th in class."

fr: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor...s-nascar_N.htm
Bill, all of this is absolutely true. It applies to all forms of racing, sky diving, flying, diving, and every other activity we participate in that has an element of danger.

Maybe my "crap post" was harsh, and I apologize for that. Ferrari takes a beating on here, and the 'rich kids playing in their Ferrari and trying to kill people' tone of your post, at least that's how I read it, hit me wrong.

The drivers, pro or amateur, in Ferraris or Audis or any other marque, are damned good.

I've raced, and would always appreciate more practice before it counts. I've made a few split second errors, actually quite minor in nature, and regretted them. That is racing. That is life.

No fight from me, and sorry that I offended you.

Great race going on.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:09 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Completely agree, Jack! No harm no foul.

And yes, I'll admit possibly the "Ferrari-ness" of it all got to me a bit. I'd like to think not, but maybe.

Mistakes are made esp. under racing, high pressure situations, and at night, no less. And preparation, and more of same is always welcomed, and needed, and wanted.

Good posts, Jack.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Atomic Punk
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

glad you guys made good... now can you give me an update on team corvette please? im working and can't monitor it.....
Old 06-11-2011, 10:26 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Vette #74 continues to lead GTE Pro, #73 is currently 5th, #50 is 2nd in GTE Am. With 13 hours to go, everything is up in the air. Have fun at work.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:27 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Atomic Punk
glad you guys made good... now can you give me an update on team corvette please? im working and can't monitor it.....

Currently running 1 and 5 in class, 74 and 73 in that order. was running 1-2 but changed brakes on the 73.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Kurac
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fingers crossed this year. Last year looked promising, till both cars were knocked out of contention.
GO USA
Old 06-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Ed32
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ladimer
Fingers crossed this year. Last year looked promising, till both cars were knocked out of contention.
GO USA
Old 06-11-2011, 11:10 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

another great pit stop, during a yellow, with a driver change, tires, and front brakes.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:13 PM
frankc5r
Advanced

Originally Posted by oldstyleGS
Currently running 1 and 5 in class, 74 and 73 in that order. was running 1-2 but changed brakes on the 73.
Just changed brakes on 74 car-fast job. Gavin just got back in car and he is behind the safety car AGAIN.

Beretta is fine and back in pits- will most likely be in car before too much longer.

frankc5r
C6R team member at LeMans
Old 06-11-2011, 11:17 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,598 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Originally Posted by frankc5r
Just changed brakes on 74 car-fast job. Gavin just got back in car and he is behind the safety car AGAIN.

Beretta is fine and back in pits- will most likely be in car before too much longer.

frankc5r
Thanks for the update!
Old 06-11-2011, 11:21 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

great race for corvette so far, great luck, and a great car. the best thing is very early in the race a reporter was talking to one of the drivers and joked the the c6r's had been holding back all week. the driver smirked and said they just wanted to be/stay in good shape until the last couple of hours of the race when they could do some hard charging.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:22 PM
JetsVette
Intermediate

1st and 4th now. Come on take those Ferrari's Garcia
Old 06-11-2011, 11:24 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JetsVette
1st and 3rd with the sun creeping up.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:25 PM
JetsVette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gbgary
sweet. one more to go.

Get notified of new replies

To Le Mans 24 hours

Old 06-11-2011, 11:31 PM
GS-Zero
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I've been watching ever since I got home at around 8:00 EST. I'm thrilled to be able to watch this on my computer - especially the live stream from the #73 car. The race is so exciting.

I wish this live stream lasted forever so that I could have this epic noise playing all the time. Better than music.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Atomic Punk
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99
Vette #74 continues to lead GTE Pro, #73 is currently 5th, #50 is 2nd in GTE Am. With 13 hours to go, everything is up in the air. Have fun at work.
Originally Posted by oldstyleGS
Originally Posted by frankc5r

frankc5r
Originally Posted by johnodrake
Thanks for the update!
Originally Posted by JetsVette
Originally Posted by gbgary

thanks a lot. keep it coming please. go corvette!!
Old 06-11-2011, 11:58 PM
JetsVette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Atomic Punk
thanks a lot. keep it coming please. go corvette!!
Looks like Garcia just took 2nd. But waiting for the board to update.

nope. under flag now

Last edited by JetsVette; 06-12-2011 at 12:10 AM. Reason: update

Quick Reply: Le Mans 24 hours