C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for buying far out of state

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 02:14 PM
1MEANGT
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3 of the last 5 vehicles I have purchased were from out of state. Far out of state. I purchased 2 from private owners and 1 from a small dealership.

- I always fly out to inspect the vehicle myself, then drive it back. That is the fun part of the adventure.

- Get the VIN and run a carfax, go to dealership and pull service history, and get lots of pictures. Have someone do a walk around the car with you on the phone and look over every body panel, wheel, tire, interior, ect.... This is all prior to booking a flight.

- I have had good luck all 3 times. I live in Chicago and bought a 2008 SRT8 Jeep Grand Cherokee in FL. Bought a 2004 BMW M3 in CA. And I bought my 2007 Corvette in NY. All 3 I flew out and drove home.

I have never had a problem financing any of them through my bank or credit union. They cut me a certified check and I drive back with my vehicle.

It is simply the best way to find exactly what you want when you want it.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:33 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Also, make sure you check with your states DOT so you know what flies and what does not fly in what you must pay on taxes and license fees. I was once screwed by a Mesa Arizona Chevy Dealer. They charged me there state taxes and my state said all I owed was my states tax rate. And the dealer refused to be of any assistance in geting my overcharges back.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:05 PM
idaband
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MEANGT

I have never had a problem financing any of them through my bank or credit union. They cut me a certified check and I drive back with my vehicle.
My Credit Union will not let me do out of state purchases to private sellers unless the seller first sends a title...

Bank of America was going to be my next choice...i figure a huge bank can get you anything anywhere...then just do a local refinace with my credit union.

I thought it would be fun adventure to fly out and drive back... lots of stress feelings right now.... nervous not knowning. My 2006 Accord was purchased site unseen out of state, but it was low miles and from a Dealer.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:41 PM
P0234
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thing to throw out there, do not deal with used car lots (non franchised dealers). Only the crappiest of cars end up on those lots.

Quick Reply: Advice for buying far out of state