C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice on Possible Bad Vette Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 08:23 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

still scratching my head over buying an allegedly fixed flooded salvage long distance without seeing it or demanding a third party to hold on to the money until the car is delivered and clears a mechanic or even just starts up. There is something called ESCROW to do stuff like this. WOW!!! LOL at GM dealership being trusted to evaluate a car, especially a built one. Hopefully there is enough to be made in selling those mods and parting out the rest of this pile...
Old 07-21-2011, 08:40 PM
Force Fed Gorilla
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
This guy has been stalling you for a month now you say?

You should have come to us earlier.

Actually, you should had come to us before you bought it, but that goes without saying.

First you don't come to us before you buy it. And then you wait almost a month before you seek out advice?

It's too late to consult us now. The damage is done.

Forget about going to court. If you have held on to this car for a month, the court is likely to figure, well then you must have been satisfied with it.

I sell you a used flood salvaged car, you know going in that it's a flood salvaged car, ........damaged goods...... and then you come back a month later wanting your money back because it won't run??????? And it hasn't run in a about a month????? But yet you're just now asking for your money back???

You keep damaged goods for a month, and you know going in that they were damaged when you bought them,......... and then a month later you expect your money back???
Let me clarify the time period involved.

June 24 - Bought the car.
June 28 - Car got shipped to me. Tried for two days to get the car going and let the seller know it was DOA. Transport driver let me know they had a hard time getting it started from the get-go.
June 30 - Left on vacation for 10 days. Bad timing but it had been planned for months in advance and I really thought it would be an easy fix for the car. Let seller know I would contact him when I got back home.
July 11 - Start working on car again. Perused the forum and tried everything I could that didn't involve a scan tool or a major teardown. Seller not much help and very uncommunicative.
July 16 - Finally get my poop in a group and asked for help from forum members
July 18 - Car goes to dealer. Still getting the run around from the seller.

The vacation in the middle made things worse. Had I thought I was getting a pile of dump I would have chanced sleeping on the couch for the next month and postponed the vacation to get it resolved. It is what it is now.

I let the seller know that enough is enough. The car needs to go.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:48 PM
P0234
Pro

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06

Now, there is more false hope. The hope that he has legal recourse in this matter.

Only this time, the "hope" will cost him an advance, and probably won't leave him in any better position than he is now.
Exactly, that is what I keep stressing. There are lots of people here that have never been involved in any sort of legal entanglement, dispensing advice. Sort of like getting driving advice from your grandma that never learned to drive.

Cliff notes on the legal system in this country: If you prove something is true WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT, you still have a 50/50 chance of winning a case. And 9 times out of 10, you have to eat the legal fees. The seller runs multiple businesses, he knows this and he's sitting back, drinking a beer and laughing.

The situation with this car is grey AT best. You'd need to provide real evidence that he knew this problem existed AND that he tried to hide the problem from you.

Part the car out, if you do it well, you'll get all of your money back and have learned a great lesson, there are no "good deals."
Old 07-21-2011, 08:54 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

People buy cars sight unseen all the time. People buy modded cars. People buy flooded cars. People buy salvaged cars. Choosing one that’s in any one category is risky, but choosing one that is in all 4 categories is probably a sure fire disaster. I know what it’s like to have your sights set on a car you really want and to try any which way to get it – including looking at questionable examples that are ‘bargains’. It’s been my experience that, in the end, the bargain would have been buying a good example in the first place.

The only exception would be if you have access to the tools and knowledge to sort this stuff out (or have friends that do this sort of work) – so you are basically getting the labor for free. But if you have to pay the prevailing shop rates + parts to fix it, it can be a money pit.

That doesn’t help the OP any, but maybe it will give someone else some food for thought.

OP - I hope this works out for you.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Blaq Ops
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by P0234
Exactly, that is what I keep stressing. There are lots of people here that have never been involved in any sort of legal entanglement, dispensing advice. Sort of like getting driving advice from your grandma that never learned to drive.

Cliff notes on the legal system in this country: If you prove something is true WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT, you still have a 50/50 chance of winning a case. And 9 times out of 10, you have to eat the legal fees. The seller runs multiple businesses, he knows this and he's sitting back, drinking a beer and laughing.

The situation with this car is grey AT best. You'd need to provide real evidence that he knew this problem existed AND that he tried to hide the problem from you.

Part the car out, if you do it well, you'll get all of your money back and have learned a great lesson, there are no "good deals."
In a civil suit it's a perponderous of evidence but still an uphill battle nonetheless. He needs a free consultation ASAP!!
Old 07-21-2011, 09:17 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Forced Fed Gorilla, I think I have something..

What state did you buy your car from? And where do you live?

Here's what the law is in Vermont:

Section 2093(b) of Title 23, part of the Salvage Title Act, unequivocally states:Any person who sells, trades or offers for sale or trade any interest in a salvaged, salvaged and rebuilt, or totaled vehicle shall disclose the fact that the vehicle has been salvaged, salvaged and rebuilt or totaled to a prospective purchaser both orally and in writing before a sale, trade or transfer is made. Written disclosure that the vehicle has been salvaged, salvaged and rebuilt or totaled, in addition to being disclosed on the certificate of title as required by this subchapter, shall also be conspicuously disclosed on any bill of sale, transfer, purchase or other agreement.
Failure to comply with this notice requirement “shall result in the seller being required, at the option of the buyer, to refund to the buyer the purchase price, including taxes, license fees and similar governmental charges.

Laws very state by state, but many mirror each other. If the law is the same in the state you bought this car from as it is in Vermont, and the seller didn't disclose the salvage info in writing, you might be entitled to a full refund.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:18 PM
SolidlyStated
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

It's almost as if all the people on this thread are split into 2 camps- 1 side wanting to help fix it and 1 side wanting to **** on a guy for trying to get a good deal. Not an "awesome deal" or "too good to be true" deal, but just a good deal.

Hell, after reading that ad it came from, I almost wanted to buy it. A souped up twin turbo vette with that runs and looks great? Sign me up.

Now ... where did I see that ad originally? oh yeah...

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
If you are even considering legal action I would have the mods lock up this thread NOW. The seller is probably laughing at you since he is delaying you in public.
Yes- I hope that something like this is of some concern to Corvetteforum since it was advertised on their site. They don't want to be known as "your #1 source for disreputable Corvette purchases!"

Everyone stop being rude about it, leaning back all smug and full of judgement. We should be a community here. Is this how far the 'Corvette wave' has fallen?

Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer
To the OP.

How old are you?
I tried, but can't think of any way that question was not incredibly rude and judgemental...

Originally Posted by Kevin_NYC
Contact the GM Rep here.

You paid a GM dealer money for a service and are eligible to give feedback on that service.
From what I have seen, GM will certainly get involved and help. That dealership dropped the ball with your inspection and they now shoulder a portion of responsibility for this situation.

Don't take the GM dealers money

Fill out the survey, that will red flag it and the dealer Principal will know
I totally agree. The dealership apparently goes nuts over these surveys and will do anything, even unethical stuff, to get high marks or the survey itself (so they can fill it out on their own and give themselves a perfect score)

Originally Posted by Force Fed Gorilla
This will definitely be the last car I buy site unseen.
You don't need to go that far. I would replace 'site unseen' with 'salvaged.' Many of us here, including myself, have bought our used Corvette without seeing it first. You did what we did- had it inspected at a supposedly reputable place.

At the end of the day, three parties ethically share responsibility in this tragedy: you, the seller, and the GM dealership who inspected it.

The GM dealer didn't ruin it, but they dropped the ball and need to make it right. That means a refund of whatever they charged and maybe something to make up for it, like some nice floor mats or Corvette apparel.

As for the seller, he needs to take whatever steps are necessary to make this car "run awesome" as he claimed it did. You already have documentation from the beginning- the dealer had issues getting it running and it did not run when delivered on the truck.

Regardless of any legalities that people love to hide behind, this car was portrayed to be something it wasn't. Ethically, the seller needs to man up and help you. Hopefully he will also learn from this and maybe tailor future ads appropriately. I think you have what could be an awesome and fast vette.

As for your part in this, Gorilla- well you've already begun shouldering your heavy burden.

I hope you end up with an awesome Corvette when this is over and if a "couple grand" is all you end up parting with to get it done- I call that a win.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:37 PM
BLK281
Racer

I'll add my 2 cents in.

First off, the OP has been bashed enough. We know, and he knows..he f'ed up by buying this car.

We all make mistakes- period.

Now, to the OP..RUN to a trusted lawyer. It will only cost ya about 450-500 bucks. Much better than losing 23,000.00.

So far, I haven't seen anyone will a law degree put in a recommendation, so anyone "guessing" at what a lawyer will do, say, charge, or what color underwear he has on is doing just that..GUESSING.

My take is that the car was misrepresented, even though it was listed as a salvage title. That in itself is worth you talking to a lawyer about.

Good luck.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:38 PM
ReosLS2
Instructor

I'd like to know what State the OP is in also? You'd have alot better chance legally in a Blue state vs. a Red one.I do agree it would be an uphill battle requiring alot of Will and effort,if feasible at all.

OP...you've probably realized the car is a toilet and that probably the seller is'nt going to be able to simply call the dealership and say.."Hey gee wiz, I think the spark plug wires are out of order"..and have that be the resolution.

Last edited by ReosLS2; 07-21-2011 at 10:02 PM. Reason: somebody already asked the state question
Old 07-21-2011, 09:46 PM
Kevin_NYC
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

OP

State the facts:

State ur in
How u paid
Where advertised & verbiage
Paperwork he provided
Locale of seller

At this point u exhausted the free advice welcome mat

We can't help u with dripping clues out over 10 days

Authorities look for patterns, if he has done it before

Last edited by Kevin_NYC; 07-21-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Dang--still ongoing.
OP- lots of great advice but LOTS of BAD.

EDIT: just dumped a long response. OP ain't gonna listen and I'm not gonna put my neck out for an OP who won't listen. Just call a lawyer NOW. Many states have limited warranties under the law--many do not apply to cars but every state is different.

These are SHORT often 30-60 days. Everyoen keeps asking about your state--who gives a noodle. Understand the laws in your state don't mean jack--you bought the car in the sellers state--HIS laws apply unless you state has a very liberal longarm statute and you can catch the SOB in your state at a race or something.

Stop screwing around with texts..try certified mail with confirmation delivery. You may also only have 30 days to rescind the sale and your are fast approaching that potential deadline (again, not idea of the laws in the states you are dealing with)--again phone calls and texts doen't mean JACK. You need written proof--get it--mail.

The sellers people had problems getting it started...seller knows this..wake up the tooth fariy ain't coming.

Use the computer-find a lawyer in the sellers state under consumer protection etc...pay for a phone consult by VISA but do it NOW. FRIDAY. NOW!

Last edited by Z06LUST; 07-21-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Stevenyc777
Pro

There has to be a"legitimate" attorney on here that reads this forum and maybe can give the op some sound advice...good luck op..
Old 07-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Lanaue
Instructor

Well I hope it works out for you. You should just talk to a couple of lawers. Go talk to the higher ups at GM and tell them what happened at the Steeler ship, and tell them that you bought a car because you trusted them to give the car a good once over. I hope you get your cash back.

Last edited by Lanaue; 07-21-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:24 PM
diyguy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

While I don't think eitehr party is in or came from Minnesota, this state is known to have one of the most consumer friendly laws and regulations in the country. (Disregard the state shut itself down for a month, unable to meet budget - now back in business).

Having dealt with MN insurance laws, I can attest they don't let a single thing slide by. There are consumer protections galore, limits, conditions, excusuions - you name it - all to protect consumers, NOT sellers.

Having said that, here is a link to used car protection laws (who needs an attorney for this - anyone can read it and understand) for MN. I'd have to say this appears to lock up fraudulent sales and misreps IRON CLAD tight.

Only ONE problem - It does NOT apply to "private party" sales; nor to a car that has been "modified for race or performance", nor to "AS-IS" sales of used cars and other situations.......

Had it been purchased from a "dealer" in this state, maybe a tiny, small shot at something. Beyond that - goose egg.

http://www.ag.state.mn.us/Consumer/C...NCarLaws_2.asp

Barking up tree wasting money on an attorney, guaranteed.

Wish in one hand, Sh*t in the other and see which fills up first.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:54 PM
Force Fed Gorilla
Advanced

OP

State the facts:

State ur in
How u paid
Where advertised & verbiage
Paperwork he provided
Locale of seller

At this point u exhausted the free advice welcome mat

We can't help u with dripping clues out over 10 days

Authorities look for patterns, if he has done it before
I really am taking the advice you guys have given me and I appreciate the help. Told the seller if the money wasn't in my bank account by tomorrow, I'd get a lawyer and use every resource I have to make sure his fraud is public knowledge. I'll find out what recourse I have before diving into anything too deep. I'm a member of a number of forums and people in his area will know not to take their business his way. I'll also contact the BBB since part of the payment was sent to his transmission shop.

Regarding the facts you asked for:

My Location: Leavenworth, Kansas

Method of Payment: $500 via Paypal and $22.5k through cashier's check sent via certified overnight mail

Advertisement: I saw it on this forum (both C5 and C6 sections) but I know of at least one other forum he advertised it on which is kyhorsepower.com

Paperwork he provided: Only paperwork I got was the title. No Bill of Sale and no records of any sort.

Locale of seller
: Richmond, KY

Last edited by Force Fed Gorilla; 07-21-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:56 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by P0234

He'll never be able to part it out and get all of his money back out of it.

Already, there is some $#*+ coming out of the tailpipe. Water and oil he mentioned.

So the motor is iffy.

The other big items are the tranny and the diff.

Anything electrical is obviously FUBARed.

So power window motors, ABS modules, anything with electrical power going to it, is suspect.

Wheels and tires, body panels, suspension parts(maybe) the rest of the driveline, that's about all that can be considered "good" on it.

The seats.....no.

He might be able to raise a few thousand dollars, and I'm thinking less than five figures, parting it out.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:05 PM
BayouCountry
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Let's brake it down to available options. Choose your poison. Make out your own list of options to help you think.

1. Continue trying to contact the seller. Get him on the phone so you get a feel for what he will do (the tone of his voice will tell you a lot). How much is he willing to agree on to take back the vehicle? Don't be afraid to take a $3,000 to $5,000 loss if he will take it back at a discount.
2. Have a lawyer write a letter to the Seller.
3. Contact a lawyer and hope there is enough grounds to sue for fraud.
4. Keep vehicle for a complete tear down and rebuild project.
5. Have the dealer fix the vehicle.
6. Find a shop that restores vehicles and have them restore it.
7. Sell the vehicle as a complete rebuild project to someone who likes rebuilding cars.
8. Part out the vehicle.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Advice on Possible Bad Vette Purchase

Old 07-21-2011, 11:12 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Force Fed Gorilla
I really am taking the advice you guys have given me and I appreciate the help. Told the seller if the money wasn't in my bank account by tomorrow, I'd get a lawyer and use every resource I have to make sure his fraud is public knowledge. I'll find out what recourse I have before diving into anything too deep. I'm a member of a number of forums and people in his area will know not to take their business his way. I'll also contact the BBB since part of the payment was sent to his transmission shop.

Regarding the facts you asked for:

My Location: Leavenworth, Kansas

Method of Payment: $500 via Paypal and $22.5k through cashier's check sent via certified overnight mail

Advertisement: I saw it on this forum (both C5 and C6 sections) but I know of at least one other forum he advertised it on which is kyhorsepower.com

Paperwork he provided: Only paperwork I got was the title. No Bill of Sale and no records of any sort.

Locale of seller
: Richmond, KY
See if you can find a free lawyer consultation or a few $100. Are you military as the post has free legal service? Even retired military might help. Research salvage laws for KS and KY. They are usually on-line somewhere. You can always part it out but I agree with Quicksilver that it probably won't generate much revenue. Is there a problem with the motor since you mentioned that the exhaust was spitting oil/water at your dealer. That would pretty much screw the seller I think. Maybe a quick compression check is in order.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:25 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Kentucky requirements for selling a salvage car

XVI. SALE OF PREVIOUSLY DAMAGED OR SALVAGED VEHICLES
A. Previous Damage Disclosure
Any person who sells a new or used motor vehicle in Kentucky must disclose
to a buyer all damages to that vehicle which:
1. Occurred while the vehicle was in the possession of the seller; and
2. Which resulted in repairs or repair estimates greater than one thousand
($1,000.00) dollars.
This disclosure must be in writing and signed by the buyer; the duty to
disclose applies to individuals as well as dealers.

B. Previous Salvage Title
Kentucky places a brand, consisting of the words “rebuilt vehicle”, on the titles
of certain previously salvaged motor vehicles. When a dealer offers to sell a vehicle
which has a branded title and which is not more than then (10) model years old, he
must disclose that prior salvage status to a consumer by a notice included on the
previous owner sticker and by a signed disclosure.
Dealer disclosure of a Kentucky branded title must be made on the previous
owner sticker as follows:
1) A previous owner sticker with notice of a branded title must be on paper of
a color different from those previous owner stickers which do not have a
branded title disclosure.
2) The brand disclosure language must be set apart from the previous owner
language.
3) The brand disclosure language must be printed in bold-faced type which
is at least ten (10) points in size.
4) The brand disclosure language must be printed in a color of ink which is
obviously different from the background color of the paper.
5) The brand disclosure on the notice shall state “THIS IS A REBUILT
VEHICLE.”
6) The brand disclosure language shall not appear on previous owner stickers
in vehicles which do not have a branded title.
In addition to the brand disclosure language on the previous owner sticker,
dealers must also disclose a branded title and obtain the customer’s signature on a
form (other than the purchase contract) acknowledging the disclosure. Finally, a
dealer must disclose a branded title on the Application for Title form.
If the seller fails to obtain the buyer’s acknowledgement of the title brand
disclosure, the buyer can, if he so chooses, void the purchase within forty-five (45)
days after the buyer’s title is issued. If the buyer does not void the purchase within
forty-five (45) days, he can still file suit or seek other remedies against the seller.
Failure to give the title brand disclosure can result in criminal charges against
the seller punishable by a fine of up to $500 or a jail sentence of up to one year, or
both. In addition, a dealer’s license can be revoked or suspended.

http://www.mvc.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/A...ndbk07bked.pdf

Did the seller disclose in writing that the car was a salvage??

I'll bet anything the seller has a dealer's license too.

Last edited by AirBusPilot; 07-21-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:38 PM
Force Fed Gorilla
Advanced

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Snip

Did the seller disclose in writing that the car was a salvage??

I'll bet anything the seller has a dealer's license too.
He did not disclose that in writing except in the sales ad if that counts. We don't even have a signed bill of sale. It also appears he never registered the car in Kentucky after the flood damage as the title was "Salvage" instead of "Rebuilt Salvage". Not sure how he drove around for 9+ months...

The guy has sold multiple cars on the forum that were salvage title so he may have a dealer's license.

Thanks for going to the trouble of looking up that info. The help on the forum is second to none.

Edit: Hmm. In looking at the title I don't think it has the seller's name on here anywhere. It looks like it still has the name of the autobody shop the seller bought it from.

Last edited by Force Fed Gorilla; 07-21-2011 at 11:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Advice on Possible Bad Vette Purchase