C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 01:12 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

All this talk about which brand of gas?
I just fill her up whenever I need it and wherever I happen to be. As long as it's 93 octane!! :d
Old 07-26-2011, 07:37 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is big difference in fuel. Its a fact. Yea the same truck goes station to station. With the same gas. But NOT the same additive or lack of. I don't think and have never had a hint that the same truck goes to one station, then another. All the loads I've seen fully drop at the same station and they roll back the depot empty. Back in the stone-age I worked a REAL service station, shop. When a load of fuel came the driver walked down the side of the tanker thumping it with me or whomever standing near it. When empty driver opened the roof hatches and I went up,walked looked in. Say or night. Good weather or not. Flashlight in hand if dark out looked to make sure it was empty. Unless things have changed tanker goes,unloads and goes back the yard empty. I've thought I was busy doing something and boss man would walk by and say 'get up there' and I knew what he wanted.

Last edited by Ketchum; 07-26-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:55 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

This is buried at the bottom of this thread and I don't know if it has been mentioned but I buy my gas from a local shell station and only that shell station. Why? Because they just had brand new tanks installed. Shell is one of the better places to get gas as has been mentioned, so the new tanks make it an easy decision. Most all gas is the same, its the stations that are the "X" factor. Ask around and find a station with new tanks if you can.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:51 PM
rakuhn
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a problem with my Cadillac and it was towed into the dealership. It was a problem with the gas. The dealership gave me a GM print out that states GM and other manufactures require fuel that is considered Top Tier Gas.

The bulletin matched exactly what the Top Tier Gasoline web site stated.

If the engineers recommend it, they certainly know more about the cars than I do.

Just my thoughts on the subject. Oh yes, since I have followed their directions, I have not a had a problem with any of my vehicles, Corvette, Cadillac and GMC pickup.

The voice of experience.

Good luck.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:08 PM
CH-Z51
Drifting

Location: The Great Pacific Northwest...........I carry a gun cause a cops too heavy.

I have recently switched from 92 octane Chevron (no 93 in my area) to Conoco 91 octane pure gas (no ethanol). All I can say is that there is a noticeable improvement in both performance and fuel mileage and Conoco's additive packs are equal to Chevron or Shell.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:57 AM
Bowtie_Brigade
Instructor

Admittedly, I'm not a fuel expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express!
Old 07-27-2011, 08:26 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

I see the same trucks at top tier stations as I do at discount stations, so as long as im buying premium im good.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:42 AM
level6
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I deliver gas to Costco in the big truck.

I'm impressed that one of their employees physically dumps additive in when I deliver there.
And that's on top of the government mandated additives already in the gas.

They go through so much gas it's way fresh and all of their facilities, tanks, and equipment, are more "top-tier"than many.other stations.

Just my humble observations from the field
Old 07-27-2011, 10:20 AM
wwwFLA
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaws12
Just looking for opinions.

I have always used Exxon/Mobile or Shell (when I can find) Super Unleaded in my Vettes. I always thought they were the 2 best.

Well, a Costco opened up the road from me, and, being a member, checked out their gas prices. They are $0.30 a gallon less exppensive on Super Unleaded 93 Octane compared to all the stations around here.

Is the Costco gas of a good quality?

I would love to save the bit of $$$ on the gas.

I haven't bought Exxon/Mobil since the Valdez went down.

Not buying BP now either.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:34 AM
carjo
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

This may be a case of "You get what you pay for." Or in other words "Ya pays yer money and takes yer cherce."

I stick with Shell & Exxon premium grade - never had a gas related problem.

Quick Reply: Gasoline