C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any part-time driver(wifey) woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 09:18 AM
tomnan24
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any part-time driver(wifey) woes

Thinking of buying a Corvette Convertible(A6) as well as a few other convertibles. I will drive it mainly but will use our Enclave for golf trips etc. My wife(age 61) is not much of a car person. Does the Vette take any getting used to? Is it too much car for some people?
Old 08-01-2011, 09:24 AM
SubjectAlpha
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The blind spot from the vert top is a little bigger than most cars (when the top is up), but it's a perfectly tame car if you want it to be. Apart from difficulty getting in & out of it, my mother would have no trouble driving this car.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:26 AM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by tomnan24
Thinking of buying a Corvette Convertible(A6) as well as a few other convertibles. I will drive it mainly but will use our Enclave for golf trips etc. My wife(age 61) is not much of a car person. Does the Vette take any getting used to? Is it too much car for some people?
My wife LOVES driving the vette. I think there are days she prefers it over her 66 Mustang GT Convertible. but she'll never admit that.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Xedes
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My girlfriend/fiance says she's afraid to drive my car because of the power. So I imagine getting used to the acceleration would take a little time if she's not used to faster cars.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Wah
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The lower sitting position is difficult on some older people; so getting in and out may be a problem for your wife. Is she going to drive it or just ride along ? The lower ride height will take some getting used to when driving. Driving up a steep driveway or parking against a parking stop will destroy the front bumper if not careful.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If she's "not much of a car person" (and won't appreciate the qualities that make a Corvette a Corvette) I'd guess there are other cars she would find 'easier' to drive. There's only one way to find out for sure....
Old 08-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,244 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Fact is, it's too much car for most people. Sounds like a mistake to me.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:14 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

My wife drove vetts untill 2009 when we traded her 09 vett for G8 GT now drives 2011 2ss Camaro she just turned 61. Rides in the Z06 no complaints other than she has a built in speed limiter.
z51vett
Old 08-01-2011, 10:18 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Its a very easy car to drive. Anyone who can pass a drivers test can drive them in an A6. If she decides to start racing and taking turns at 95 mph than she will need to get used to it. Aside from that get in start the engine put it in drive gas, break, and steering wheel just like any other car out there.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Xedes
My girlfriend/fiance says.
Which is it, Xedes?

Op...As long as she understands how much power is on tap, should be no trouble.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:15 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,939 Likes on 4,817 Posts

It can be too much car for many people. Sounds like your Wife would be more at ease driving something else.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:26 AM
TBD
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 113 Posts

Absolutely. It is not a proper car for an unskilled driver.

Peace, out.

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Old 08-01-2011, 11:39 AM
harlanmott3
Instructor

My wife hates the vette. She doesn't like driving it, or even being in it. Its to loud (stock) and gives her a headache. Its also no fun getting into and out of, btw.. she's only 28.

If you don't like sports cars, its not exactly a quiet confy ride.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:45 PM
wu6fiend
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually think its cool when she wants to drive mine, but she never does. Prefers her CR-V. Says mine is too low, rides too rough, and hurts her neck. Sometimes when we take a long trip, she will take over some of the driving, but she never wants to take it for in town errands.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:10 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sits low. Rear visability limited. Scrape the curb and you've got expensive wheel damage and or panel damage. Noisy ride. These are some of the tradeoffs. It's a sports car, you can drive to a track and race it.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Liner
Instructor

The DIC for my extra fob is set to:
"PLS WIFEY DONT HURT ME"
Old 08-01-2011, 01:51 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Scraping against curbs and hitting parking stops, plus negotiating steep entrance and exit driveways are the biggest obsticles, plus having other drivers not take notice of low profile sports cars from their trucks, vans, SUVs and utilitiy vehicles are the biggest dangers for inexperienced drivers. Anyone can drive an automatic which is why over 70% of Vette buyers, given the option, choose them over manual transmissions. Ingress and egress can also be a problem; many little older folk, especially obese or handicapped ones, tend to fling their doors wide open upon exiting without regard to adjacent cars or other objects in the way. If you buy a wide bodied Grand Sport, hydroplanning at slower speeds can also be a problem because of their shallower grooved and wider tires. Getting in and out of the low seats also presents problems for folks with restricted mobility and/or limited body strength. Best to have your your wifey test drive first, or even rent one from Avis for her to try out, before buying.

Get notified of new replies

To Any part-time driver(wifey) woes

Old 08-01-2011, 07:44 PM
tomnan24
Advanced

Originally Posted by laconiajack
Scraping against curbs and hitting parking stops, plus negotiating steep entrance and exit driveways are the biggest obsticles, plus having other drivers not take notice of low profile sports cars from their trucks, vans, SUVs and utilitiy vehicles are the biggest dangers for inexperienced drivers. Anyone can drive an automatic which is why over 70% of Vette buyers, given the option, choose them over manual transmissions. Ingress and egress can also be a problem; many little older folk, especially obese or handicapped ones, tend to fling their doors wide open upon exiting without regard to adjacent cars or other objects in the way. If you buy a wide bodied Grand Sport, hydroplanning at slower speeds can also be a problem because of their shallower grooved and wider tires. Getting in and out of the low seats also presents problems for folks with restricted mobility and/or limited body strength. Best to have your your wifey test drive first, or even rent one from Avis for her to try out, before buying.
Test drive before I purchase makes a lot of sense. Thanks to all who contributed. Seems like a real mixed bag of thoughts. If she does drive it, it won't amount to more than 20 days out of an entire year.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:35 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Originally Posted by dvilin
It can be too much car for many people. Sounds like your Wife would be more at ease driving something else.
Originally Posted by TBD
Absolutely. It is not a proper car for an unskilled driver.
As others have pointed out, there may be ergonomic issues. But driving it? She can handle 400HP or more as well as most people. Remember, there have been over 1.5 million Corvettes sold and we were all awed the first time we drove one.

If you are a caring husband/boyfriend/father, you teach others to drive the car. My wife and both children (23 and 19) drive mine properly after a little education and driving experiences under safe conditions.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:00 PM
LTVN68
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

My wife dislikes me and the Z! She has only been in it one time.

She thought my going to Spring Mountain was a complete waste of money and time.

I think you need to let your wife test ride in one before you buy as it is possible she will not like it.

Might be time for me and my Z to move to Pahrump, NV. ( home of Spring Mountain )

Quick Reply: Any part-time driver(wifey) woes