C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caliper Covers

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 03:39 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
I still do not understand all of the hate about these. Why is this different than some of the wild wheels available? No one calls them ghetto wheels? We have choices in this country and should appreciate that we do. I like the covers, I like Alcantara, I like forced induction, and probably some other things that some segment of the forum hates.
Larry
uhm, this is like hubcaps actually, not wheels. Are you going to put some hubcaps on your vette to pretend you have different wheels?
Old 08-17-2011, 03:54 PM
BenMGP
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
I still do not understand all of the hate about these. Why is this different than some of the wild wheels available? No one calls them ghetto wheels? We have choices in this country and should appreciate that we do. I like the covers, I like Alcantara, I like forced induction, and probably some other things that some segment of the forum hates.
Larry
Larry,

Most of our customers are people that just don't like the way their calipers look and not interested in painting. Some have painted their calipers and were looking for a different solution. A VERY small percentage are actually buying the caliper covers to "trick" people into thinking they have a BBK. Although we understand this misconception, this was never the intent of the product. If that was our intent, we would have formed them differently.

It is merely a simple cosmetic upgrade to personalize your vehicle. The added benefit of reducing brake dust has been well received as well.

As you can see from this thread, it's not for everyone and that's ok. This is America and everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:59 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by petermj
uhm, this is like hubcaps actually, not wheels. Are you going to put some hubcaps on your vette to pretend you have different wheels?
If it looked good would it matter?
Old 08-17-2011, 04:00 PM
BenMGP
Cruising

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
How come no one ever complains about breast implants??
Old 08-17-2011, 04:00 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

yeah, it would. This is why I have Z06 instead GS
Old 08-17-2011, 04:09 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

yeah, it would. This is why I have Z06 instead GS
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the person paying for it. I could care less what someone else does to their stuff. They could put a Z06 badge on a narrow body for all I care.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:12 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the person paying for it. I could care less what someone else does to their stuff. They could put a Z06 badge on a narrow body for all I care.
apparently so
Old 08-17-2011, 04:30 PM
59chevyguy
Instructor

Once again, opinions are like............well we won't go there.
I have them and they are a well manufactured mod. Aluminum with SS hardware. Makes the wheels stand out. Reduces brake dust dramatically especially when you sprayt them with Armoral Wheel coat.

I have the chrome plated aluminum wheels ($1850 additional cost from GM) so these really stand out behind the chrome.

I bought them on Ebay thruogh Summit for $210 inc shipping so it was a slight discount off what other retailers get.

As far as I am concerned they look much more professional than the painted calipers. The painted will get coated with brake dust. Eventually yo will have to repaint them and repaint them and.....well you get the point.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:34 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 59chevyguy
I have them and they are a well manufactured mod. Aluminum with SS hardware. Makes the wheels stand out. Reduces brake dust dramatically especially when you sprayt them with Armoral Wheel coat.

I have the chrome plated aluminum wheels ($1850 additional cost from GM) so these really stand out behind the chrome.

I bought them on Ebay thruogh Summit for $210 inc shipping so it was a slight discount off what other retailers get.

As far as I am concerned they look much more professional than the painted calipers. The painted will get coated with brake dust. Eventually yo will have to repaint them and repaint them and.....well you get the point.
Looks like you have CRM paint. What color covers did you go with. Post some pics if you can.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:37 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 59chevyguy

no, you do not have to have them repainted, you can just wash them off. BTW, where is the dust going with the covers, are they self cleaning or does it just accummulate behind them? More professional? Are you saying I should slap some on Z06 calipers then? I painted them on the base and they seem to looking very professional to me... Must be difference of opinions. Seems like once again, the covers are for people who want a custom look without doing their work but yeah, this is all about looking more professional. I think I can spend two hundred bucks more productively, comparing to to the cost of paint (20 bucks), the cost is more or less absurd.

Last edited by petermj; 08-17-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:41 PM
wbvette
Le Mans Master

If anyone wants mine they are red and never used I will sell them for 100 + shipping
Old 08-17-2011, 04:50 PM
BenMGP
Cruising

the cost is more or less absurd.
The cost reflects what it takes to produce them, and keep production here in the USA. The mounting clips alone are expensive to make to our specifications. Forming dyes, CNC engraving, powder coat, quality materials, etc. Paint fill all done by hand.

If we could make them at a lower price point, we would. We are just not interested in using inferior materials or taking production overseas.

We are an American company, and plan to keep it that way.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:54 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by BenMGP
The cost reflects what it takes to produce them, and keep production here in the USA. The mounting clips alone are expensive to make to our specifications. Forming dyes, CNC engraving, powder coat, quality materials, etc. Paint fill all done by hand.

If we could make them at a lower price point, we would. We are just not interested in using inferior materials or taking production overseas.

Keep up the good work and don't worry about some of the folks here, most are just car guys you either like it or you don't no big deal. Proud of you for making your products in the USA.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:56 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by okie08vette

Keep up the good work and don't worry about some of the folks here, most are just car guys you either like it or you don't no big deal. Proud of you for making your products in the USA.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:08 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

The market is full of chinese junk made in plastic and cheap. I wish you luck even though I would never buy this stuff myself.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:25 PM
ssv3
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by wbvette
If anyone wants mine they are red and never used I will sell them for 100 + shipping
+1

Mine are used but in excellent condition and I will sell them for $85 shipping included. PM me for pics and details. I needed change so I'm selling them.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:47 PM
BenMGP
Cruising

Here's a finish you can't paint on to your calipers:

Get notified of new replies

To Caliper Covers

Old 08-17-2011, 05:59 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Here's a finish you can't paint on to your calipers:

both Z06 and ZR1 have painted calipers (I think GS does too?), what is exactly the point of going beyond their approach?
Old 08-17-2011, 06:01 PM
BenMGP
Cruising

both Z06 and ZR1 have painted calipers (I think GS does too?), what is exactly the point of going beyond their approach?
Not sure if I understand the question. I was showing another option.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:39 PM
Gerdia
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been the best post on this thread, I for one will pay more for American made product.
As far as the covers go, they are a personal preference. Just like those of us who have decals covering our emblems with an american flag, or blacked out etc.. Lets just give our honest opinion without being insulting, it can be done.

Quick Reply: Caliper Covers