C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I put CLR on my C6's paint today...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by petermj
the key is APPLIED science, you may want to grasp the concept. I use my hands more than you, constructively, not just posting junk around here like you do.
Sure you do............ Done with you.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:58 PM
fnsblum
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I come to this forum to learn how to better work on and care for my Vette. Once in awhile I post if the topic falls under my expertise. I have filled out my profile for all to see. The first thing I do when one of these street fights start is check out the profiles of the contestants. It is usually not hard to decide how creditable all the parties are. Later! Frank
Old 08-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Started out to be a good thread, then ended up in personal attacks. Too Bad! Try using the PM (private message) for bickering so the thread goes on for others to read.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fnsblum
I come to this forum to learn how to better work on and care for my Vette. Once in awhile I post if the topic falls under my expertise. I have filled out my profile for all to see. The first thing I do when one of these street fights start is check out the profiles of the contestants. It is usually not hard to decide how creditable all the parties are. Later! Frank
Kind of like a carfax though, the profiles are only as good as the info that someone enters.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:03 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
Tell us what you know about modern paints and clearcoats and then maybe we can have an intelligent discussion. I myself know alot and I am going to have to jump on Racers side on this one!
Hmmm, why don't you tell me instead how the urethane paints became acid resistant lately?

Read this to understand what water spots are since you are such an expert. Ironically enough, I have been detailing cars and buffing cars for people in my younger years dealing with this crap and it can be frustrating stuff for sure.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ve-Water-Spots

But hey, feel free to enlighten me how the acids in CLR somehow avoid vette clear coat. Secret UV inhibitors and acid barrier? The thing about acids when you use them is you have to neutralize them well, washing off with water may not do the trick.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:04 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Racer
Sure you do............ Done with you.
thanks
Old 08-17-2011, 08:05 PM
JJKJ
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a product that sounds like it may not be as caustic as CLR but worked excellent for removing stubborn spots on my boat. I know gelcoat is significantly different from our painted surface, but it is also advertised to work on painted surfaces as well.

Zing:

http://www.marineexpressusa.com/prod...prod=625-10007

I'd still use it cautiously like CLR. Removed the hardest water spots from my gelcoat without damge.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:06 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by kensmith
started out to be a good thread, then ended up in personal attacks. Too bad! Try using the pm (private message) for bickering so the thread goes on for others to read.

then drink some
i am reading this thread in total disbelief, seems like someone must have gone mental here. Clr is a mixture of several acids, lately phosphate free but still pretty corrosive. This is not any different than exposing your vette to a few years of acid rain at once. lol at this advice...
you troll as usual, no purpose, no brains makes you a genius. if you went to college and had enough chemistry classes, you could get a different perspective but this would not be you
you reap what you sow, as usual. Make chemistry your friend, it is not just science, it is applied science. add some common sense to it and you may finally come up with a semi intelligent reply.
you must watch jackasss movies a lot
the key is applied science, you may want to grasp the concept. I use my hands more than you, constructively, not just posting junk around here like you do.
hmmm, why don't you tell me instead how the urethane paints became acid resistant lately?

Read this to understand what water spots are since you are such an expert. .....
suck you in? I can care less if you and other geniuses decide to pour acid on your car, ain't no limit to people's stupidity, especially paint experts like you apparently. thanks for the fatherly advice though, pops...

Last edited by Racer; 08-17-2011 at 08:20 PM. Reason: he just keeps on insulting people...........
Old 08-17-2011, 08:09 PM
fnsblum
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kind of like a carfax though, the profiles are only as good as the info that someone enters.
Yours is well done. Later! Frank
Old 08-17-2011, 08:09 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Hmmm, why don't you tell me instead how the urethane paints became acid resistant lately?

Read this to understand what water spots are since you are such an expert. Ironically enough, I have been detailing cars and buffing cars for people in my younger years dealing with this crap and it can be frustrating stuff for sure.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ve-Water-Spots

But hey, feel free to enlighten me how the acids in CLR somehow avoid vette clear coat. Secret UV inhibitors and acid barrier? The thing about acids when you use them is you have to neutralize them well, washing off with water may not do the trick.
Good try there jr., but your not going to suck me in. I have no need nor desire to "try" and teach you anything about paint. Most members here know my qualifications when it comes to paint and paint application, so I have nothing to prove to you.

The best advice I can give you is to just get out of this thread, cool off and never open it again.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:15 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Good try there jr., but your not going to suck me in. I have no need nor desire to "try" and teach you anything about paint. Most members here know my qualifications when it comes to paint and paint application, so I have nothing to prove to you.

The best advice I can give you is to just get out of this thread, cool off and never open it again.
suck you in? I can care less if you and other geniuses decide to pour acid on your car, ain't no limit to people's stupidity, especially paint experts like you apparently. Thanks for the fatherly advice though, pops...
Old 08-17-2011, 08:27 PM
KevinZ51C6
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

suck you in? I can care less if you and other geniuses decide to pour acid on your car, ain't no limit to people's stupidity, especially paint experts like you apparently. Thanks for the fatherly advice though, pops...
You can stop posting in my thread now, you've already proven you're the smartest guy on the internet, now move along and take your personal attacks elsewhere.

I'm not a chemist but I can say from personal experience the paint looks better than when I bought it. It is definitely not a good idea to leave it on for more than a minute but using one quick application followed by a cleaning it's not doing any damage.

Everyone should clean their Vette as to how they see fit, I am merely giving another option to those who were having the same issues I was with my paint. Results speak for themselves, I don't need an equation to tell me what to put on my car or what oil to put in it.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:31 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by KevinZ51C6
Results speak for themselves, I don't need an equation to tell me what to put on my car or what oil to put in it.
actually, you do... Try draino next time
Old 08-17-2011, 08:40 PM
KevinZ51C6
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

actually, you do... Try draino next time
Apparently reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. KTHXBYE
Old 08-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

In my detailing shop we use a solution very similar to CLR. It definitely contains a mild acid. I have a hole in what used to be a good pair of Levis from it.
As Wolfdog states, we cut it 50/50 with water, spray it on, use a celluose sponge to wipe it across the area affected, if the are really heavy. Then we thoroughly rinse the area, and then rinse it again.
I would say we have done at least 100+ cars this way with no ill effects at all.

One of the issues with water spots, is the etching. This is generally caused by the ambient temperature of the surface being very high, and when the water hits the surface it boils, etching the clearcoat. The etching, if the surface is very, very hot(Think of a black car that has been driven for some distance, sitting in 100 degree heat out in the sun and the sprinkler kicks on) can boil very quickly. The etching can go pretty deep leaving a permanent mark that even buffing won't take out.
Acids in the water can also do it, but that really depends on your water system and how pure it is. In a couple of areas my customers live in, the acid seems pretty high as we seem to get cars from that area with heavy spots, even on light colored cars.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:22 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.

if you look at the list of acids this stuff contains, it is nothing you would want to expose your vette's paint to... Then again, some people will try anything at least once.
ive never tried it...LOL I was surprised at those who did.. and saw their cars later on...... but.... LOL
Old 08-17-2011, 10:32 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
ive never tried it...LOL I was surprised at those who did.. and saw their cars later on...... but.... LOL
I am glad I have silver and yellow vettes now... Mineral deposits can etch pretty deep, all the way to the base coat, if you try to loosen them up with acid, you may end up with a big mess. Acid works very well on glass but there, you can just use a solution of vinegar with exactly the same results. Each to their own I suppose
Old 08-18-2011, 12:07 AM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Name:  stooges.gif
Views: 4930
Size:  213.0 KB
Old 08-18-2011, 02:53 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: So I put CLR on my C6's paint today...