C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas mile info

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Crowhater
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Texas mile info

If you are going to run the Texas mile you might have heard they are not allowing drag radials after last years wreck. A greay C6 spun its rims inside the tires at the end of the course and flipped. The video is on you tube. Anyway I talked with Tech and got the Toyo proxy TQ drag radials approved!!

here is a copy of the email from Mike Patterson

I spoke with Toyo. The TQ is a Z-rated tire for over 149mph with no cap. We are in the process of talking to various tire manufacturers regarding the top speed for tires at the mile. for now, I'm good with the TQ for up to 215. If you haven't purchased tires yet, or are looking to really jack the car up over 215, I'd suggest investing in the Hoosier R6 road race tire.

More information on tires will be posted in the next couple weeks on the forum.

Thanks
Mike
Old 08-24-2011, 09:49 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

This is a good thing, the owner of the Corvette was advised not to run with the drag radials, when I only ran 190 mph I ran with Hooisers for safety reasons and glad I was on board for running safer rubber
Old 08-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Good on you for doing the Texas Mile! I wouldn't be worried about it (as the organizer's approved the TQ tires) but personally, if with all their experience to draw from they feel the Hoosier road racing tire is the best tire for top speed runs I'd rather be on the Hoosier's. Have fun, good luck, take some pics and keep us posted.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:32 AM
jthurik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drag Radials are not allowed at over 190mph but under that are fine. I will be running the Hoosiers in the rear as I expect to be over 190mph

4.6 TIRES: DOT-approved tires in good condition are required to be used. The tire speed rating must exceed the speed rating that the car is attempting to achieve. For more info on speed ratings: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35
4.6.1 4.6.2
All tires must have an equal (or greater) Load Carrying Rating and Speed Rating than the original (OEM) manufacturer’s requirement.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED: The use of tires with better ratings than OEM is recommended.
Drag radials (DOT spec) are approved.
Drag racing (DOT-spec) “skinnies” are approved.

John

Get notified of new replies

To Texas mile info

Quick Reply: Texas mile info