C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

There's always a few...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Xedes
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 04_Z06_CE
its crazy how big of a gap there is in between how vette owners drive their vettes.
We have the cruisers , like OP and we have the guys who drive them like they stole it.
That would be me by the way.
I see waaaay too many vettes on the street with older men ( no disrespect) driving it like Camrys. Its sick actually..Why buy a vette?
First, that video above with the cop is classic. I would love to see that stuff just as often as I see speeders getting pulled over. I truly believe that people in chicago think the left lane is only there for better cell phone reception.

I also agree with the above post. Last month I ran across an ederly man (mid to late 60's) driving his twin turbo 911 on the eway doing 50mph. I just looked at him and thought, "you could've saved yourself 120k and just bought a Prius". I will give him credit for being in the middle lane and not the left one.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:05 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Sibcoe
Thanks for the tips.

Are radar legal in CA? Can you explain #2 - I always thought the aircraft thing was like something they tried in the 60's that didn't work - you mean they are real? What is VASCAR and the large white line thing?

I agree on the exit on/off ramps and overpass stuff for sure, and under overpasses around here.
Radar detectors are legal in CA. Radar jammers are not. As for looking up, Ca uses aircraft to monitor speeds in addition to the cars/bikes on the ground. The wide white lines along the shoulders of the freeway are the aircraft markings, normally spaced 1/2 to 1 mile apart. As you pass the markings, the aircraft will begin the pace of your vehicle and then provide the information to a ground unit.

LIDAR is the new replacement for radar, not all agencies have them yet but they are in widespread use here in Ca. Much more accurate and hard to beat in court. Your radar detector will detect lidar but it would be too late for you if your vehicle was targeted by Lidar.

By the way, aircraft for speed monitoring is very effective in areas where the traffic is lighter.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:17 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Xedes
First, that video above with the cop is classic. I would love to see that stuff just as often as I see speeders getting pulled over. I truly believe that people in chicago think the left lane is only there for better cell phone reception.

I also agree with the above post. Last month I ran across an ederly man (mid to late 60's) driving his twin turbo 911 on the eway doing 50mph. I just looked at him and thought, "you could've saved yourself 120k and just bought a Prius". I will give him credit for being in the middle lane and not the left one.
Let me also say there is nothing wrong with driving a vette slow ( I guess, although its not right ) but there is no in between it seems.
Your either driving the vetter fast or your not.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:22 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Unfortunately, any dummy with the right size wallet can buy a Corvette.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:55 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

If you are in the left lane and there is anyone, at any speed, that wants to pass you, then get over.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:22 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by carpe dm
Unfortunately, any dummy with the right size wallet can buy a Corvette.
Or a Prius. How many of those tree-hugging, righteous feeling drivers do you see in the left lane, smug at 60 on a 55 MPH road?

But more to your point, any dummy can buy anything they want with the right wallet contents.

There are many examples of the new bonus baby sports star killing himself or the passenger in a new Porsche, Ferrari or Lamborghini because they didn't know what they were doing. John Kennedy crashed a plane that was well beyond his capabilities. Every summer, idiots on Lake Michigan die because they don't have the necessary skills to operate their Cigarette.

At least the old guy driving his Corvette at 55 MPH is probably operating it safely.

Oh, and we buy things we can afford because we want to. We all do that to some degree. If it's not the car we buy, it may be the Rolex watch we wear on our wrist or the John Lobb shoes on our feet, or a Hasselblad camera. Lesser cost items that have the same functionality are available although we often opt to ignore them.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Xedes
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jackhall99
At least the old guy driving his Corvette at 55 MPH is probably operating it safely.

Sometimes OLD doesn't equal experience. Sometimes OLD just means old. The older they are, in most cases, just means there's a better chance of that person being on medications that will impair there reactions and such.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:13 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Sometimes OLD doesn't equal experience. Sometimes OLD just means old. The older they are, in most cases, just means there's a better chance of that person being on medications that will impair there reactions and such.
We old farts won't hit ya Frank.

I'm not sure I agree with you about old geezers driving a 'vette being on impairing meds. In some cars? Yep.

Now I gotta go lay down for a nap before I drive down to the pub.

Take care amigo.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:23 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FrankTank
You know, this forum never ceases to amaze me... I don't see where the OP stated he was driving in the left lane.. yet you all are SO quick to flame him, and he was doing 10 over the posted limit. As usual you all jump to conclusions.

Then there is the fact that the speed limit is what it is.. I don't care what the flow of traffic is..the law is the law.. you don't lilke it run for office, or lobby to get it changed. Don't critize people that follow it.

Just amazing you are flaming the guy for doing 65 in a 55. It would be different if he was purposefluly sitting in the left lane holding up traffic that wanted to get by..fine, but that does not seem to be the case.

Almost nobody here took any issue with the MORON in the black vette doing more than 30 MPH over the limit, and weaving in an out of traffic. What some of you don't realize is that you might think you are in control and you are..but people don't see you coming up that quick. THe average SANE person does not imagine there will be a car going a 100mph in a 55 every day.

I am no saint myself.. I go 70, or whatever the flow of traffic is..but I am not going to flame or get pizzed at somebody for going 65 in a 55. Some of you need your Head examined.
What makes you think that the OP wasnt in the left lane. Why would the Bonzi Vette need to thread the needle around him then?

When my vette comes barreling down on your car people peel off into the right lane asap. They do not like my Menace of a beast in back of them. I never ever tailgate though.

One of my fav things is to blow past the tree huger Prius drivers at warp speed in in the Vette.

Get in the right lane peeps if you going to creep around at 65 per.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:44 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Pet peeve...there's nothing worse than the guy in the left lane who is saying to himself "I'm going as fast as anyone needs to go"...sad to say also, it is almost never a young person.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:01 PM
rakuhn
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There will always be some, no matter what the make of car.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Xedes
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jackhall99
We old farts won't hit ya Frank.

I'm not sure I agree with you about old geezers driving a 'vette being on impairing meds. In some cars? Yep.

Now I gotta go lay down for a nap before I drive down to the pub.

Take care amigo.
You are right about vette owners. All that I've met seem to be young at heart and have a real zest for life. They also tell the best damn stories EVER.

Now, if I ever get my hands on the salesman that keeps putting 4'5" little old ladies behind the wheel of those four door Crown Vics.......game on!!!
Old 09-02-2011, 07:53 PM
tomnan24
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll second the post(s) supporting weaving in and out. What else are you supposed to do if several drivers are doing 55 in both lanes?
Old 09-02-2011, 08:04 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

A couple of things I hate. Trucks passing each other about 1mph difference or not paying attention to the road ahead (such as climbing a hill).

Left lane hogs. I have no problem with someone passing another car any any speed but not cruising in the left lane.

Weavers **** me off if they are cutting off traffic to switch lanes.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:15 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Now, if I ever get my hands on the salesman that keeps putting 4'5" little old ladies behind the wheel of those four door Crown Vics.......game on!!!
Ya gotta beat me to him.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:17 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
A couple of things I hate. Trucks passing each other about 1mph difference or not paying attention to the road ahead (such as climbing a hill).

Left lane hogs. I have no problem with someone passing another car any any speed but not cruising in the left lane.

Weavers **** me off if they are cutting off traffic to switch lanes.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:47 PM
The NNIAL8R
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '11,'13
"I voluntarily took 60 days off from OT"

Originally Posted by cclive
Pet peeve...there's nothing worse than the guy in the left lane who is saying to himself "I'm going as fast as anyone needs to go"...sad to say also, it is almost never a young person.
Yep...several years ago shortly after Colorado passed the "keep right except to pass" law a TV news reporter went with a state trooper to document the blatant disregard of the law...The trooper stopped one old codger lolly-gagging along in the fast lane on I-25....The old goat said "Well I figgered I'd help you fellas out by keeping these idiots from speeding"...The trooper hit him with a $180 ticket and said "leave enforcing the speed limit to us".........According to the CSP...left-lane lolly-gaggers are the most dangerous drivers on the road next to DUI drivers....they are the number 1 cause of road rage incidents...

Get notified of new replies

To There's always a few...

Old 09-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Xedes
Safety Car

Originally Posted by The NNIAL8R
Yep...several years ago shortly after Colorado passed the "keep right except to pass" law a TV news reporter went with a state trooper to document the blatant disregard of the law...The trooper stopped one old codger lolly-gagging along in the fast lane on I-25....The old goat said "Well I figgered I'd help you fellas out by keeping these idiots from speeding"...The trooper hit him with a $180 ticket and said "leave enforcing the speed limit to us".........According to the CSP...left-lane lolly-gaggers are the most dangerous drivers on the road next to DUI drivers....they are the number 1 cause of road rage incidents...

I think I really like this LEO!
Old 09-02-2011, 10:08 PM
category4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by The NNIAL8R
If more would enforce this law traffic movement would be a lot better and safer. These LLH's are the biggest safety hazard on the roads today.

They cause traffic to run in clusters and when people get tired of traveling behind them they resort to crazy maneuvers to get by.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:32 PM
The NNIAL8R
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '11,'13
"I voluntarily took 60 days off from OT"

Originally Posted by category4
If more would enforce this law traffic movement would be a lot better and safer. These LLH's are the biggest safety hazard on the roads today.

They cause traffic to run in clusters and when people get tired of traveling behind them they resort to crazy maneuvers to get by.
EXACTLY!!!!...and while the DUI driver is the most dangerous driver on the road...theyre usually not out until after dark....these idiots (LLH's) are on the road 24/7/365

Quick Reply: There's always a few...