C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

There's always a few...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 11:58 PM
JScottH3
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 70 Posts

Default There's always a few...

... who give Vette drivers a bad rap. I was driving home from Carlisle this afternoon, doing 65 in a 55 zone. A black Vette blew by doing at least 90, and weaving in and out of traffic. Either he doesn't realize he's driving a cop magnet, or just doesn't care...
Old 08-27-2011, 12:12 AM
sportcruiser
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When that happens to me it is usually a Prius!
Old 08-27-2011, 01:14 AM
paganharley
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6kvCHiIjTh...0/img_8836.jpg

Hope this works. This is from killboy.com Taken at the Tail of the Dragon. It is a shame when you see this.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:34 AM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

weaving in and out of lanes is dumb, but 65 is a little slow for me...hope you stayed in the slow lane...
Old 08-27-2011, 06:50 AM
TRR
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ohmy
weaving in and out of lanes is dumb, but 65 is a little slow for me...hope you stayed in the slow lane...
65 in a 55 is a little slow for you?
Old 08-27-2011, 06:52 AM
SuperSonic
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paganharley
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6kvCHiIjTh...0/img_8836.jpg

Hope this works. This is from killboy.com Taken at the Tail of the Dragon. It is a shame when you see this.
WOW ! I am aware of this area and the road. You are right "What a Shame"....
Old 08-27-2011, 07:38 AM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRR
ummm.. yes, actually it is! VERY SLOW... we call that Grandpa speed... here in NJ busses go 65 in 55...

maybe things are different where you are, but if you drive 65 on the NJ Turnpike you're holding up traffic, and are the slow poke on the road! Which is fine as long as you stay in the right lane where you belong... grandpa (sorry couldn't resist )

Last edited by ohmy; 08-27-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:52 AM
dealer06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kind of have to agree with those saying 65 in 55 is slow--relative to MOST of the traffic. Thankfully, very few go that slow. Now, if we could only convince people of the old drive on the right, pass on the left thing...
Old 08-27-2011, 09:01 AM
topper7788
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TRR
Yes sir!!! Also depends a lot on location,,, when I lived in Missouri on the interstate if I set my cruise on about 82 I would be the fastest car on the road and chances are going to Kansas City from St. Louis may not get passed once... Down here in south Florida at 82 you'll get blown by on the right!!! Your from Texas? Last time I drove down that way 90 was nothing on some stretches....
Old 08-27-2011, 09:03 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,939 Likes on 4,817 Posts

Have to agree 65 is a bit slow and boring to me, especially when in my Vette. As for the person doing 90, I do not see how he is giving Vettes a bad rap.
Most people would say holy crap did you see that Vette, man that thing was moving.
Anyhow if you want to drive slow or whatever do it but let some of us enjoy the power of our Vettes.
Please save the you are endangering others, take it to the track and all that other advice/preaching. I love to drive fast and that is why I bought the Vette.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:17 AM
category4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TRR
Yep, 65 in a 55 in Atlanta and you had better be in the breakdown lane! 80 in a 55 is about the normal flow around here. Both 285 and GA 400 were recently named to the top ten fastest roads in the world outside of the Autobahn!

The left lane is the passing lane, not the I'm going fast enough lane! If everyone would drive right and pass left like you should he would not have had to weave through traffic.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:26 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,939 Likes on 4,817 Posts

The left lane is the passing lane, not the I'm going fast enough lane! If everyone would drive right and pass left like you should he would not have had to weave through traffic.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-27-2011, 09:48 AM
Tide Will Roll!
Drifting

Originally Posted by JScottH3
... who give Vette drivers a bad rap. I was driving home from Carlisle this afternoon, doing 65 in a 55 zone. A black Vette blew by doing at least 90, and weaving in and out of traffic. Either he doesn't realize he's driving a cop magnet, or just doesn't care...
Some idiot trying to get you to race him.
Sometimes you can use them to find the po po for you.

Bert

Roll Tide!
Old 08-27-2011, 09:59 AM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JScottH3
Hello,

It's always a good idea to drive according to your ability.

Speed limits are set so the little old lady with poor vision and a 30 year old car can safely drive the roadways.

A 40-50 year old guy that has good vision and coordination driving a modern Corvette with huge brakes can safely drive a little faster if he understands he must give the little old lady some extra room because she just may switch lanes for unknown reasons.

So it's okay to drive according to your personal ability.

Douglas in Green Bay
Old 08-27-2011, 10:03 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

GTFO out the left lane and maybe you won't get run over. BTW-you were only doing 57 MPH when you BRAKE CHECKED me.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:11 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Whatever the speed of the flow of traffic weaving is very dangerous for more than obvious reasons.

I think some have missed the point here.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:15 AM
RedVette84
Safety Car

I-78 if you're not going 70 they will run you over - that includes the semis. But I do hate the drivers weaving in and out of traffic. They usually are three cars ahead when you hit a signal for all their effort.

Get notified of new replies

To There's always a few...

Old 08-27-2011, 10:23 AM
mvcrash
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dvilin
Have to agree 65 is a bit slow and boring to me, especially when in my Vette. As for the person doing 90, I do not see how he is giving Vettes a bad rap.
Most people would say holy crap did you see that Vette, man that thing was moving.
Anyhow if you want to drive slow or whatever do it but let some of us enjoy the power of our Vettes.
Please save the you are endangering others, take it to the track and all that other advice/preaching. I love to drive fast and that is why I bought the Vette.
Take it to the track, you are endangering others. Break the speed limit law at your own peril, not mine or my family.

Originally Posted by dvilin

The left lane is the passing lane, not the I'm going fast enough lane! If everyone would drive right and pass left like you should he would not have had to weave through traffic.
[/QUOTE]

I agree, I hate left lane lunkheads on open highways. The problem is that the disparity in speed is what causes crashes. If you were doing the speed limit, there would be no issue. This is the issue during rush hour. Although if you do 70 in the left lane of the NJTP, you'll get run over.
Common sense rules here. Be responsible and don't endanger others. Play with your car 5AM on sunday morning. Then its you, the road and cops.

Originally Posted by KB9GKC
Hello,

Speed limits are set so the little old lady with poor vision and a 30 year old car can safely drive the roadways.

A 40-50 year old guy that has good vision and coordination driving a modern Corvette with huge brakes can safely drive a little faster if he understands he must give the little old lady some extra room because she just may switch lanes for unknown reasons.

Douglas in Green Bay
Speed limits, even in Green Bay are set according to traffic conditions and road construction. The roadway building warrants are contained in a book called the ASHTO. You can read it if you like.

Originally Posted by VatorMan
GTFO out the left lane and maybe you won't get run over. BTW-you were only doing 57 MPH when you BRAKE CHECKED me.
Brake checking is the work of idiots!!!!
Old 08-27-2011, 10:27 AM
1320fan
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

They are called SPORTS cars for a reason. It's kind of hard not to drive it like it was meant to be driven on occasion. I know it is for me at least!
Old 08-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by KB9GKC
Hello,

Douglas in Green Bay
Be sure to tell the cop that as he's writing you up.

Quick Reply: There's always a few...