C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMPP Extended Warranty Exclusions-Take Note

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 03:59 PM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by MKenM
Just out of curiosity what is a GMPP worth? Do you have to make up your mind when you buy a vette new or do you have 3 years? Is it cheaper to buy it up front? I'm going to place my order shortly and I'm trying to educate myself. Thanks.

Mike.
Since it runs concurrently with the factory warranty, you may as well wait. There is no advantage to purchasing at the same time you purchase the new car. However, you would need to buy it before you reach 12,000 miles as the price would increase past that point. Prior to 12,000 miles the price would be the same as if purchased with a new car.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:51 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 126 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

Default The Insurance Policy Bet

I currently own a 2010 MB bought it new. When I purchased it the stealer asked me if I wanted any of the myriad of policies they offer, one of them was for glass another was for wheel and tire coverage along with an extended vehicle warranty. I politely declined them all. The car has been in for service a couple of time in the 2 1/2 years that I have it and everything was covered under warranty. BTW the glass coverage was about $800 and the wheel and tire coverage was about $1,100. I have had the windshield replaces (stone) $500.00 out of my pocket and bent a rim (20" wheels) $900. For the moment I'm still ahead of the game.

So in the end the bet is do I buy a policy when I buy my car or shortly thereafter before 12K miles. Am I a masochist (please, please, please break down) so I think I'm going to get my monies worth? Or am I a good tight rope walker. I'm hoping for the latter and I know that time will tell but I appreciate the vigor with which everyone provides their point.

Thanks, THIS IS THE GREATEST FORUM EVER
Old 09-04-2011, 05:14 PM
y2kvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default not a SUCKER

I'm a sucker i guess
I have a '08 z06 and bought a GMPP Major Guard at end of the b2b. I'm covered for 7 more years and an additional 56,000 miles with a zero deductible. So this will cost me $.04 a mile or $332.14 a year. So my car will be 10 years old or have 69,055 miles when this GMPP warranty expires. I'm a sucker I might sell my car in 2017 as my car will be 9 years old by then and offer the next owner the remainder of the warranty.
Its a selling point and there will be value to the end. Actually most of value will be in the later years. You need to look to the future. I have used the GMPP for a few little things already. Would i be a sucker again? yes. I will enjoy my car more knowing i have a GMPP. All the things not covered under GMPP i'll fix myself.

Just my .04

Ps, I'll do this all over again when i buy my used c7 z06 with a remaining b2b

Last edited by y2kvette; 09-04-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:58 PM
bluman
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I agree but somehow the Corvette repair history is not normal. Check XCUTTER above. He paid $975 and I paid less than half of the $2500 you mentioned. It all depends on what plan you get. I'm glad I bought it and plan on renewing it in 2013.

Check with Dennis Fitchner for the best price.
paid $ 640 for 60m/40k/0 ded , worth it in my opinion, hopefully Iwill never need it !
Old 09-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,165 Posts

As the original post indicated, it doesn't matter how much a policy costs or many years or how many miles it covers. What counts is what it covers. And the cheaper it is, the less it covers. Like any other insurance.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:03 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,026 Likes on 5,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
As the original post indicated, it doesn't matter how much a policy costs or many years or how many miles it covers. What counts is what it covers. And the cheaper it is, the less it covers. Like any other insurance.
The nice thing about GMPP is the short list of exclusions. If a problem isn't listed in the exclusions then they cover it and they make sure the exclusions are easily understood. A number of years ago I purchased a plan through my credit union for one of my other cars. Since I got it through the credit union I thought it would be a good plan but alas I should have saved my money. It only covered cheap repairs and when it came to covering a major internal engine issue I was told it wasn't covered. It all came down to how the exclusions were worded and the wording was deliberately made confusing. The same thing would be covered under the Major Guard policy.

Bill
Old 09-04-2011, 11:39 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 166 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by MKenM
Just out of curiosity what is a GMPP worth? Do you have to make up your mind when you buy a vette new or do you have 3 years? Is it cheaper to buy it up front? I'm going to place my order shortly and I'm trying to educate myself. Thanks.

Mike.
Mike,
Don't buy it up front. Here is the reason. I bought my 08 in April 2008 with a GMPP warranty. The warranty was around $1900, 7yr/100k miles.

I traded it in for my 11 GS in July 2011 or at 39 years old. I received a little over $900 back from GMPP. So basically I lost almost $1k since the car was covered up till April 2011 anyway.

If I get a warranty on my 11 GS I will not buy it until around April of 2013. The prices seem to climb quick after you hit 2yr/24k.

GM doesn't write any extended warranty contracts. GMPP was owned by a non GM company before which I think owned part of Chrysler Corp a few years ago. There are some real shady extended warranty companies out there though. I once had one that didn't cover manually operated switches which according to the dealer included the A/C switch in the engine bay since it was controlled by me pushing a button on the dash.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Cool Rod
Pro

Originally Posted by y2kvette
I'm a sucker i guess
I have a '08 z06 and bought a GMPP Major Guard at end of the b2b. I'm covered for 7 more years and an additional 56,000 miles with a zero deductible. So this will cost me $.04 a mile or $332.14 a year. So my car will be 10 years old or have 69,055 miles when this GMPP warranty expires. I'm a sucker I might sell my car in 2017 as my car will be 9 years old by then and offer the next owner the remainder of the warranty.
Its a selling point and there will be value to the end. Actually most of value will be in the later years. You need to look to the future. I have used the GMPP for a few little things already. Would i be a sucker again? yes. I will enjoy my car more knowing i have a GMPP. All the things not covered under GMPP i'll fix myself.

Just my .04

Ps, I'll do this all over again when i buy my used c7 z06 with a remaining b2b
Precisely right.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:35 AM
besz28
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your service manager can make or break you, do whatever it takes to become friends with him/her i bring donuts in when my car is in their for service, he replaced front air dams from me scraping the car, also got me brand new leather seat covers because mine was wearing out a little bit on the drivers side all for zero money out of my pocket. My car is out of original 3 year warrant, i do however have GMPP
Old 09-05-2011, 12:04 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 126 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

Originally Posted by bluman
paid $ 640 for 60m/40k/0 ded , worth it in my opinion, hopefully Iwill never need it !
Was that a company having ties to GM or just some third party insurance?
Old 09-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Wandering Scot
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I have a 2011 GS. So to be clear. If I by GMPP right now does it run concurrent to the existing warranty? I.e. a 7 year warranty runs till 2018 or is it 7 on top of the existing 3?
Old 09-05-2011, 12:30 PM
Neil Baker
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTN
You have to buy it at least a month or two before the 3 yr GM warranty runs out.
I didn't know this, my '08 has 35,000 miles and I purchased the car new on December 24th, 2007. My three years are up but I still have the 5 years/100,000 miles. No one ever contacted me about extending and my Dealer never suggested I get a GMPP.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,026 Likes on 5,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandering Scot
I have a 2011 GS. So to be clear. If I by GMPP right now does it run concurrent to the existing warranty? I.e. a 7 year warranty runs till 2018 or is it 7 on top of the existing 3?
It runs concurrently with it. The best thing to do is to wait to close to the end of the b2b and then buy. That will get you the longest duration but the cost of the plan will be a little higher. The plan is repriced at the end of September each year plus I believe there is a price penalty if you wait. If you want a long duration plan you need to buy before the car hits 24K miles. My 03 had 18K miles on it when I purchased the car and when the b2b ran out I had over 24K miles on it. The longest plan available at the time was a 4 year plan. My 08 had 22K miles on it when the b2b ran out and the longest plan available was a 7 year plan with 56K added miles. Although I use my Vette as much as I possibly can I still have trouble averaging more than 5K miles per year so really only needed about 35K more miles but 56K was the lowest miles available.

Bill
Old 09-05-2011, 01:07 PM
MurphMan2
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It runs concurrently with it. The best thing to do is to wait to close to the end of the b2b and then buy. That will get you the longest duration but the cost of the plan will be a little higher.

Bill

My b2b ran out on 8/19 and I bought the GMPP on 8/3. I got an additional 6 years (till 2017) and 60K miles. I'll never use the miles as I only have 8K on it after 3 years but I feel that as with all insurance policies, having the peace of mind is important, to me.

And if I decide to get a C7 down the road having the policy should be an added incentive to a buyer.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Fly'n Family
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Regarding the "have to buy an extended GMPP" two months prior to the original one expiring, that's not always the case. Exceptions are made I believe on a case by case basis.......within reason.

I purchased my 08' this July, and the three year had expired in May. I purchased vehicle out of state, drove it 1,000 miles home - then contacted our local dealership. They said if they did a full inspection on it, they could then see if GM would sign off on it. They wanted me to pay for the inspection, told them no way - and they paid for it. Car has low miles, they did their inspection, and GM signed off on a 4 yr 48k mile extended warranty.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:04 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by Fly'n Family
Regarding the "have to buy an extended GMPP" two months prior to the original one expiring, that's not always the case. Exceptions are made I believe on a case by case basis.......within reason.

I purchased my 08' this July, and the three year had expired in May. I purchased vehicle out of state, drove it 1,000 miles home - then contacted our local dealership. They said if they did a full inspection on it, they could then see if GM would sign off on it. They wanted me to pay for the inspection, told them no way - and they paid for it. Car has low miles, they did their inspection, and GM signed off on a 4 yr 48k mile extended warranty.
GM didn't sign off on diddly, GMPP did based on the relationship with the dealer and the desire for your money ...
Old 09-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,381 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

As I have posted on other threads, we made money on the GMPP for our 2001 and 2006, and based on the problems during the first 36k miles on our 2009 (just went out of the 3/36 last week), we're going to make an absolute killing on the GMPP with that car.

But it's still all a gamble, either way. The 5/100 powertrain warranty makes it a bit less of a gamble.

What no one has talked about much is the convenience factor. We were on vacation a couple of years ago when our 2006 got the Check Engine light and Reduced Engine Power. We limped into the local dealer, 20 minutes later we were back on vacation in the free rental car and the agreement was "Call us on the cellphone when it's fixed". We didn't worry about price, or if there was a cheaper way to do the repairs, or if maybe I could fix it myself, or anything else. You can't assign an exact dollar figure to that convenience, but it's a big deal to us because we drive the car all over the country.

Get notified of new replies

To GMPP Extended Warranty Exclusions-Take Note

Old 09-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GMPP requires a inspection because plan was not sold at point of sale. GMPP does require a inspection on all used vehicle. GMPP does not intend to repair used cars off the the lot.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:57 PM
leonm47
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xcutter
Perhaps, but I spent $975.00 on my GMPP for my 2008 Z06. This extends my warranty until 2014 or 48,000 miles. I only have 8700 miles on my car now as I travel for a living and I am seldom home. The mileage will not be a factor. So from now until May 2014, for $975.00, I am covered for my Engine, Tranny, Computers, A/C etc. If I decide to sell before 2014, I can transfer the warranty for $50. This tends to make potential buyers more likely to buy your car over someone without the coverage. If I never use the GMPP, GREAT! If I need it, I am sure it will pay for itself on the first repair. $975 for a warranty that runs to 2014, I am not so sure I am a sucker.
I agree it's like health insurance it ain't worth a damn till you need it.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:24 PM
P0234
Pro

Originally Posted by VET4LES
The only thing on this list is that really makes me mad and upset is the carburetor.
Me too, I'm totally disappointed. Good thing muffler bearings and blinker fluid are still covered.

Quick Reply: GMPP Extended Warranty Exclusions-Take Note