C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMPP Extended Warranty Exclusions-Take Note

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 06:43 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,403 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by glenB
Since November 2006, that's before the takeover ....
Thanks for the correction
Old 09-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Fly'n Family
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Just curious under this scenario if something like these are covered, or if you've modded the engine of your car EVERYTHING is null and void.

- Electrical items
- computers

things of that nature that have nothing to do if you did a H/C type package.

Covered or not covered under an extended GMPP warranty?
Old 09-03-2011, 07:18 PM
tmjvett2009
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I got it on my Caddy and Corvette and the Caddy has already paid for itself with one problem. The piece of mind is worth something in its self.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No extended service contract is fond or user friendly for mods. They write the policys for stock vehicles. I understand your point like a window motor or regulator etc. should be covered regardless of engine or trans mods. More then likely you can get such covered.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,150 Posts

Just like health insurance.

With economic conclusions like this, I often wonder how some people ever made enough money to buy a Corvette in the first place.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:53 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by topper7788
Just food for thought, nothing more.....

I have had this SAME conversation probably over 100 times in my office:

Cust - can I speak to you for a minute I have a big problem and need your help ?

Me- sure, what can I help you with?

Cust- my (transmission) (engine) (insert expensive item here) broke and I'm being told it's going to cost $ (insert large amount of money here) and I don't think I should have to pay for it as the car has (insert mileage here) and I'm only out of warranty by (insert time here)... This shouldn't have failed etc etc,.

Me- gee, I'm really sorry to hear that, do you have an extended service contract?

Cust- well no, but I shouldn't have to this shouldn't have broken...

Me- (insert nicely put statement of how you Sh*t out of luck) and this is exactly why we sell those things etc. Etc. Etc...

Me- well let me call (insert manufacturer here) and see if I can get you some assistance...

Later:

Me- hi (insert name of friendly service district manager here) it's XXXXXx I got an issue with a customer of mine that I need your assistance with.. He has a (insert car here) and it's out of warranty by (insert info here) and he is requesting assistance getting it fixed good will?

Friendly manufactures DM - sorry to hear that, does he have our extended service contract?

Me - well no but, (insert all kinds of stuff like,he's a good customer, he had 3 of these before etc etc..)

friendly manufacturers DM - sorry, but he should have spent the money on a extended service contract so he wouldn't have to spend the money on the repair....

Well, you can guess the rest.........................

But as mentioned above, they are for suckers!
Yes, you are correct. Extended warranties are for suckers who do not have the intelligence to self-insure. The alert owner will set some seed money aside for major repairs, and add to it slowly over time. It's quite unlikely that they will have a catastrophic failure, and before too long, they will have more than enough dough for repairs.

The great part is that that money stays invested with the owner, and GMPP = Gimme More Profit People doesn't get their grimy hands on it.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:10 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

If you bought your Vette new from GM dealership, can you get a private extended warrantry from this dealership? The dealer sold me a dealership warranty and Lo-Jack for a great price.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:15 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

"Dealership' service contracts are not underwritten by the manufacture. They can be a pain to deal with. A Lot of repair shops don't want to deal with them at all. They also like to use aftermarket,re-man ,used parts and so on. Service contracts through the manufacture are the way to go.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

Some people make enough money to self insure and don't bother with insurance. Others buy it to hedge their bets.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

I'd say if you make enough money to buy a Corvette you probably make enough money to fix it when it breaks. You should only buy insurance if the potential loss would affect your life style. That's why health insurance makes sense and extended warranties don't.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:57 AM
widgetsupply
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
I'd say if you make enough money to buy a Corvette you probably make enough money to fix it when it breaks. You should only buy insurance if the potential loss would affect your life style. That's why health insurance makes sense and extended warranties don't.
So, are you trying to pull the rug out from under our insecurities?
Old 09-04-2011, 08:00 AM
Ketchum
Drifting

In this economy I wonder how many Corvette and other high end vehicle owners a few thousand dollars would affect their lifestyle drastically. For what I paid for my break down policy's it was a good investment. My GMPP has already broke even. Plus mine is transferable when I go to sell the Corvette which will be soon. My 2009 Dodge 1500 power train and hi tech items are covered a 'lifetime'. Lifetime Hi tech policy was $1500. Not transferable. If this truck dosen't get wrecked or stolen and if I'm still alive (or wife says I'm alive. LOL ) I'll be driving it 15 years or so. Price on the Chrysler policy's was great. They were begging to sell policy and truck. I bought truck for $10,000 off MSRP plus they paid sales tax. That was almost $13,000 off the truck. Gran Marquis the policy was a super price and its transferable.. Ford store was begging to sell car and policy. Sold the last of the Gran Marquis for $10,000 off Msrp. Full boot hi tech policy was $1500. Wife insisted on policy. I paid cash for all my vehicles. Everything I own is paid for. Everything. Just like health insurance. My health insurance has put out about $1 million dollars on me since 2007.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:09 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

And let me say "you're welcome" to you from me and all the others out here who through their buying health insurance has kept you alive since 2007. To date at age 67, I'd have been better off even without health insurance.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Ketchum
Drifting

Never thought I'd need it. Same with extended service contracts on my vehicles. Next thing that will pay off is my life insurance. Seriously. I handled thousands of dollars weekly in GMPP claims in one small dealer. In a Chrysler dealer with 35 techs, warranty made up 10% of repaires, Chrysler service contracts made up another 10% and the rest was customer pay and internal. I left the business in 2001. I was in it 25 plus years. I remember when warranty was 12/12 and factory helped with nothing. Out of warranty was out of warranty. There was no service contracts. Vehicles were no where near the caliper they are now.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:31 AM
lilcajun
Advanced

Originally Posted by xcutter
If I never use the GMPP, GREAT! If I need it, I am sure it will pay for itself on the first repair. $975 for a warranty that runs to 2014, I am not so sure I am a sucker.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:46 AM
ghost.223
Racer

Something that no one has mentioned and maybe its just me but i drive a vehicle differently when its under a warranty. I tend to have more fun with it
Old 09-04-2011, 12:51 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

If you don't have a clue on how the car works go ahead and get the warranty. There are good aftermarket warranty plans offered by credit unions but it is a money maker for the seller. I grew up in a time where we had to know how to work on a car to be able to keep it running and if you never heard of using a match book cover to adjust points then you have not lived. I feel that we have way too many car operators that do not know enough about how the car works and those folks I do not feel are true drivers and would be better off spending their money on car maintenance classes. Why do pilots learn so much about the airplane before they spend any time in the air. When was the last time you did a preflight check on your car? Do you know what a new sound means, a difference in ride or so many other conditions that make a difference between being an operator and being a driver.

While I do not think most people need to be as much as a nut as I am you do need to know the way cars work, know the sounds/feel of the vehicle and what to look at when it changes. Look at the post on this forum asking how change a brake pad and while I like the idea that the person wants to learn and I will help as much as I can with proper driver training it be so much easier to make that person go from an operator to a driver.

For me the extended warranty is an additional profit point for the dealer and a gamble for the buyer. The buyer is gambling that he will not be able to repair a condition that will cost more than the cost of the warranty. Don't forget when you try to use that wonderful extended warranty the warranty company has the right to force you to prove you have maintained the car IAW the puplished guide and you have documation to back it up.

It comes down to are you a check writter or a DYI type person and for now in this country we still have that choice. A look to the future may be like what BMW is doing, their new cars do not have a dip stick to check the oil.

Sorry for the rant but I have been stuck in bed for a week waiting for the medicial practice field to guess on what is wrong and I even have three extended warranty plans (three health insurance plans). This is my 1st day back on line and can't stop typing. make it stop......

Get notified of new replies

To GMPP Extended Warranty Exclusions-Take Note

Old 09-04-2011, 01:33 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by jmurf28
If you don't have a clue on how the car works go ahead and get the warranty. There are good aftermarket warranty plans offered by credit unions but it is a money maker for the seller. I grew up in a time where we had to know how to work on a car to be able to keep it running and if you never heard of using a match book cover to adjust points then you have not lived. I feel that we have way too many car operators that do not know enough about how the car works and those folks I do not feel are true drivers and would be better off spending their money on car maintenance classes. Why do pilots learn so much about the airplane before they spend any time in the air. When was the last time you did a preflight check on your car? Do you know what a new sound means, a difference in ride or so many other conditions that make a difference between being an operator and being a driver.

For me the extended warranty is an additional profit point for the dealer and a gamble for the buyer. The buyer is gambling that he will not be able to repair a condition that will cost more than the cost of the warranty. Don't forget when you try to use that wonderful extended warranty the warranty company has the right to force you to prove you have maintained the car IAW the published guide and you have documation to back it up.

It comes down to are you a check writter or a DYI type person and for now in this country we still have that choice. A look to the future may be like what BMW is doing, their new cars do not have a dip stick to check the oil.
And want to add something to that number of people have claimed their GMPP "paid for itself" or nearly paid for itself. Notice If your GMPP paid or nearly paid for itself, you've lost money! Had you invested the insurance amount yourself, chances are you'd be ahead of the game now.

For instance, if you would have invested in any of a dozen well-managed High Yield Corporate Bond funds, that have historically provided excellent long-term returns and low volatility, you would have easily made over 8% in the last five years.

If you are one paycheck away from a financial disaster, any sports car, with or without extended warranty, is not for you. If you manage your money and have the discretionary income for a Vette, then self insurance is better than blindly giving money to a car warranty company.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

their new cars do not have a dip stick to check the oil.

I'm in agreement in almost everything you said and I've got the same experience. For years and years I done almost all of my own maintenance for three reasons, to save money, to make sure the job was done right and it usually took less time. Now, I'll just do brakes and rotors.

But, I have a new 135i BMW without the dip stick. It has a warning light if the oil goes (I think) a half quart low. And it has an electric level sensor that you can bring up on the dashboard if you want. To me that's progress. A dip stick is kind of crude system. And I don't think it advances your point. What may be more appropriate is that the car comes with a 4 year, 50,000 mile "all maintenance" free warranty for everything from oil changes to wiper blades.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

I'll say it again. For the most part the service contracts underwritten by other then the car manufacture stink. They also go out of business. The manufacture policy's did survive a bad shake up. The aftermarket are just a bit better than nothing. They do not have YOU as a customer to their brand and their product. Factory policy's do. The aftermarket policy's are out to save themselves money. Your not going to buy from them again. A broken transmission ,which seems a lot of vette manuals go south. A broken ac compressor or a powersteering leak and you'd be thankful for a service contract. A broken harmonic balancer at 90,000 miles etc. Once more. Its just like health insurance. Oh and I do drive my car different then with no warranty.

Quick Reply: GMPP Extended Warranty Exclusions-Take Note