C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Corvette to Buy for an Old Guy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:27 PM
63 Forever
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a '63 coupe. When I bought it last year it came with a 350 - don't know what year, internals, HP, etc., but HP in this car is not important, so I will not change the engine out.

My 2011 is a 4LT GS, and love it. It is for me, not for show, etc. And, if I wanted power with no doo-dads, I would buy a GT-40.

Like I said, there is only one fastest car on the road, or on the track - all the rest are just in the rank and file - but, we all love OUR car. How many 100's of thousands of Corvettes are on the road - and the owners love each one.

My final point: Vettes are like sex, there is no bad one. LOL
Old 09-14-2011, 10:34 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any of them will get you in trouble way faster than you could possibly imagine.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:34 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 348 Likes on 224 Posts

Default I 'm an old guy and I got a...

2012 3LT GS last week for my 70th birthday. Heritage Package (with black-on-black microfiber insert seats), NPP, chrome wheels, two tops. Love it.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:47 PM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with some of OregonC6 but for those who are interested, the Z06 427 is not "bored out to extreme cubic inches.....".
The LS3 bore size is 4.060 inches with a 3.62 in. stroke=376 cu.in.
The LS7 bore size is 4.125 inches with a 4.00 in. stroke=427.7 cu.in.
The 427 has a .065 in. larger bore. Well within the "safe limits".
Yes there have been some 427's with valve problems but it seems to be mostly the earlier ones with less oil capacity.

I love my '09 and '02 Coupe, but if had the extra $$$ i would go for the 427 "Z" in a heartbeat!

Bob
Old 09-14-2011, 11:09 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ladder13
Call Tommy at MacMulkin
Old 09-14-2011, 11:16 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,000 Likes on 5,368 Posts

To the OP I am like you. Born ahead of the baby boom. I have owned Vettes since 1972. Started with a 69 BB Roadster, went to a 71 LS6 454 and so on. I drive my cars and I don't baby them. I have won car shows, autocrosses and drag races with the same car. I believe what the generation before ours believed if you can't make it go you shouldn't be allowed to show it.

On a test drive you won't see much difference between the GS, Z06 or the ZR1. They won't let you run it hard enough to feel the difference. The Z06 pulls strong from low rpms but once it gets over 5500 it is just amazing. The LS3 can't match that feel since it is just starting to run out of poop. Been in both many times making the pull off a corner and the Z06 touches your soul doing that. I had one student that said he just loved that feeling. Heads up Display is a must. It isn't a gimmick. I have mine adjusted as high as I can get it and still see it. I like having it so I look through it the way fighter pilots do. I got my first HUD in my 03 Z06 and I miss it every time I drive a car without it. The F55 will tame the rear suspension over rough pavement so you can roll into the power more quickly. I don't know about riding softer but I do know that it does that.

Bill
Old 09-14-2011, 11:29 PM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coryvte
The Monogram model or even the Revell model would be good for the old guy.

Maybe a Che Vette; they made those back in the seventies.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:09 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by BSheppard
The best answer would be to drive both and see what you like best. The Magnetic Ride control is cool and feels great in action. The Z06 is a little more noisy but none of them are hot inside. The 427 in the Z06 is of course the star of the show but don't discount the aluminum frame and carbon bodywork which lowers the weight of the car making it faster and stop/handle better. Drive them and see what you like best. I went with the Z06 but everyone is different and the LS3 is no slouch.
For me, the cost wasn't an issue and I considered the GS, ZO6 and ZR1, but I decided on the GS. The ZO6 is faster, but very similar in the way it drives, but the GS with manual is a lot closer than you'd think, and the ZR1 is in a whole other league as far as speed. My thought was that I'd really never be able to actually use the extra speed, since there's no Autobahn over here, sadly. Keep in mind that a ZO6 will run just about $20,000 more than a comparably equipped GS, so either choice is a good one. Drive both and see what you think.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:16 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by gjnockie
Hey Guys... thanks for the quick replies.

I have not been able to find a Z06 to drive in my area. I drove a ZR1... loved it but I can't justify buying it for just a weekend car. IMHO the Magnetic Ride option is terrific. I can't believe how nice Corvettes ride with that option.

Can anyone tell me if the clutch pedal is much heavier in the Z06 compared to the GS? The clutch pedal effort in the ZR1 was a pleasant surprise.

Is there less sound insulation in the Z06 3LZ compared to the GS?

If the Z06 doesn't ride firmer and isn't noisier overall than the ZR1 I think I would like it.
The clutch pedal is very light no matter which Corvette you choose. I thought the ZO6 was actually a bit quieter than the ZR1 and just a bit louder than the GS, the higher rpm's of the LS7 make for a great soundtrack. I think either car would be great, but don't decide until you drive BOTH, so you can make the right decision for YOU.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:49 PM
63 Forever
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep forgetting to add: When we were at Vettes On The Rockies, they had one of the new Blacked-our anniversary models there - man, I loved it. Course, I'm a Harley dude!

Also, someone mentioned something about shifting: again, I am an old dude also, but I cannot hear my engine and have had trouble knowing what gear that I am in. As in, am I in 5th or 6th. I have driven many a mile on the highways in 5th gear. I have checked, but can't find anything on my HUD that shows the gear that I'm in.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:55 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm an old guy..... buy me anyone you want; I'll take good care of it!

Quick Reply: Which Corvette to Buy for an Old Guy?