C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Corvette to Buy for an Old Guy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 03:07 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Whatever you get, make sure it has the F55 suspension
Old 09-13-2011, 06:32 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by coryvte
The Monogram model or even the Revell model would be good for the old guy.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:13 AM
gjnockie
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

How great is this thread... I guess I am not the only "Old Guy" around here!

Like a lot of you I grew up surrounded by Big Blocks. One of my friends had an L88 Vette. Others drove Chevelle's, Nova's, GTO's, Mustang's, Hemi Road Runners etc. I owned a 69 Camaro SS, bought it for $3100.00 brand new. Wish I still had that car. Spent a lot of time under the hood of my friends '65 327 375HP FI convertible so I do know a few things about high performance cars.

I really appreciate everybody's great feedback.

At this point I am leaning towards the Z06 with Mag Ride. Problem is I need to go find one in my area (south Florida) to drive one before I buy the car.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:15 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,178 Posts

Z06 with F55 gets the vote as long as you don't want rip off motoring
Old 09-13-2011, 07:23 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by gjnockie
How great is this thread... I guess I am not the only "Old Guy" around here!

Like a lot of you I grew up surrounded by Big Blocks. One of my friends had an L88 Vette. Others drove Chevelle's, Nova's, GTO's, Mustang's, Hemi Road Runners etc. I owned a 69 Camaro SS, bought it for $3100.00 brand new. Wish I still had that car. Spent a lot of time under the hood of my friends '65 327 375HP FI convertible so I do know a few things about high performance cars.

I really appreciate everybody's great feedback.

At this point I am leaning towards the Z06 with Mag Ride. Problem is I need to go find one in my area (south Florida) to drive one before I buy the car.
One the biggest factors for me,especially where you live, would be being able to take the roof off or down. Some of the absolute best drives for us are with top off. As far as the f55 I am also one that could take it or leave it. I have it and have a hard time telling the difference between Tour and Sport.I test drove several non f55 cars and honestly I thought they rode great.The one thing that is a little scary on the f55 is the cost of those shocks if they ever need replacement, their like $1200 apiece. Good luck.

FWIW this is only one guys opinion but I have a friend who has a new ZR1, GS convertible and a Z06. He told me his choice for going on a cruise, the GS. I have yet to see him drive his Z06 this year.

Last edited by R&L's C6; 09-13-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:47 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

good grief, in S. Florida and no dealer nearby w. a Z06? oh well. chances are fairly decent that dealers may not allow a new Z06 to go out for a test ride anyway.

do an autotrader.com or cars.com search using your zip and limit it to 25 miles. put in Z06 or the qualifications that match a Z06, like man trans, '06-'11, fixed roof (in other items), etc. then, go drive a used one at whatever dealer nearby advertises one for sale.

you've received a good dose of advice above, almost all of it good. if you ask me, get what you want----and won't regret NOT getting.

you want a 427? get it; you're right. chances of it being around a long time--slim. you like magnetic ride? get it. it will be around for a long time, but your butt will know the difference (it's available on most models of C6). you want a Z06? get it; it is endangered simply because of other models. that is, get it as long as you can live without a roof coming off, or a convertible for open-air feeling.

whether these are considered "supercars" or not, sophisticated or simple Chevys, there's one thing to know: this is not your old 427 or FI 327, etc. much/most of what is on, under and controlling a good part of the car is by computers, sensors, programs, etc. it takes either you with that know-how, or someone else to make it all happen if you want to change something, or repair it. so, you are forewarned---not to say there's nothing you can do to these cars. just that you'll have to acquire the know how first.

happy choosing! and btw, when you get ready to actually buy the car, chances are good that no local dealer will come close to the prices and service to help you buy one as the CF dealers. check it out, or ask if you can't find them.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:55 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,939 Likes on 4,817 Posts

You said you would like to have the 427 and like you so would many others. The difference is you can have it, so go with your gut and get the Z06 and have no looking back with "I should have" thoughts.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:10 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,605 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by Garret
You are correct, I never had it because like I said, a waste of money. This is a sports car, if you want a Cadillac ride, buy a caddy...that is an old man car.
So I guess you call the ZR1 (and the Z06 with the Z07 option) and the Ferrari an old man's car as well..... They all have the MRC shocks
Old 09-13-2011, 09:46 AM
tooltime47
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am thinking there might be one more thing to consider and that is resale value. The Z06 may cost more to begin with but may be more valueable down the road.
As far as resale values go, according to http://autos.aol.com/cars-Chevrolet-...-2006/pricing/ , the Z06 will depreciate slightly more than a base coupe, 45% vs 42% for the base coupe. These figures are for 2006 base models. Looking at actual dollar value, the base coupe cost per year was $3643 and the Z06 was $5885. Sales tax was not considered for this comparison.
That being said, if you can afford it and don't care about top off driving, go with your gut and get the Z06 or ZR1. I just got a 2011 GS and I really like it. I would have preferred the Z06 but the boss did have some input in my decision.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:48 AM
bearman95
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

f55 works great
Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Not true at all!

I will bet that you never owned one with magnetic ride suspension.

Yes, it's no good, that's why the have it in the ZR1.

I have the F55 suspension and I wouldn't have ordered it without it. A great riding car and you have some control over the stiffness of the suspension. Well worth the money, IMO.

As a matter of fact I have not read of anyone who has had the F55 and regretted having it.

To the OP, if your not going to track it I would suggest the Grand Sport with the F55 suspension, unless you just need to have that '427'.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:58 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

"...Sure would like to own a "427" while they are still available!"

Certainly test drive the models you're considering but I think you already answered your own question. If you want the 427 get it. Quite often people over analyze things....go with your gut instinct. Enjoy!
Old 09-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,054 Likes on 826 Posts

Sure would like to own a "427" while they are still available!
Just drive one, all your questions will be answered and satisfied because you're correct saying 'while they still make it'. Some remember the original Chevrolet BBs, no slouches, while the new LS-7 makes 'em all look like pikers, the LS-9 even moreso.

If you lived in east-central Wisconsin you could try-on my '08 Z06, with me along, of course. The LS-7 427 is for real, nothing quite like it anywhere past or present.

The Z06, hands-down.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Ed32
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

white with chrome wheels!
Old 09-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Kevin_NYC
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Any one!

Beware it will attract young chicks so see your Doctor ASAP
Old 09-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Garret
Race Director

Received 1,016 Likes on 473 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by johnodrake
So I guess you call the ZR1 (and the Z06 with the Z07 option) and the Ferrari an old man's car as well..... They all have the MRC shocks
Yes, because only old men can afford them...LOL...You kow the saying, why do old men have fast cars? Because then can afford them now...

Really though, it all depends on the person...if you beleive you need a cushier ride and you think spending that extra cash really gets you something then by all means spend you money.

I'm saying I did not and I'm not unhappy that I don't have it. Money in my pocket.

OP, Enjoy test driving all the cars and show us a pic when you get that bad boy!
Old 09-13-2011, 12:12 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I'm 69 years old and have been driving my Z06 for the past 3 years. Whether I'm cruising through a school zone at 30 MPH or blasting around Talladega at over 160 MPH, the car has the manners of a sweet little old lady.

The Z06 is the best mixture of raw power combined with granny playing Bingo in the church basement, of any car I've owned.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:16 PM
choprfgr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thread should be closed if it's gone to talking about
attracting young chicks and cruising 30 mph school zones.
just sayin'

Get notified of new replies

To Which Corvette to Buy for an Old Guy?

Old 09-13-2011, 03:58 PM
slolane
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08 & '12

I will be 59 in a couple of weeks and as a kid growing up in the 60s and 70s a 427 Corvette was the holy grail of the car world. I always said someday I will have one. When GM came out with the z06 in 06 I told my wife someday Well last year I sold my c5 got the z06 and never looked back. For me it was never about performance ( ok, maybe a little ) but to have the car I lusted after since I was a kid

Nothing at all wrong with the GS I think its the best looking vette to date

But all my life I wanted to say " Dude I have a 427 Corvette "

Bottom line all the corvettes are special and you would be happy with any model Buuuuuttt
Old 09-13-2011, 04:14 PM
63 Forever
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just turned 70 in June. Last new Vette was an '84 - sold it the next year. Money was not a problem in my decision. My wife wanted a yellow convertible with a black top. I wanted a stick shift (it's a Corvette, right - isn't that what you said.) So, that knocked off the Z06 and ZR1. We could only find 5 in America. So we ended up with a 2011 GS. Absolutley, positively love it. It is our daily driver unless we need the truck or her car. Ony two complaints - no, make that 3. #1: it has a stupid clutch that I still screw up on. #2: I want much more exhaust noise (it's a sports car, right - Corvette). #3: the console glove box gets really hot. Your question about a 427 - some old dude in a Cadillac will pull up beside you with the (whatever it's called), and blow you away - especially if he has a Hennessey 1000 HP engine. There's only one fastest car on the road and you don't own it. (Nor you, nor you, nor you, nor you....) Enjoy what you have.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:17 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I am leaning toward the Z06 with Magnetic Ride and my big concern is that maybe the Z06 will be a little too hard core, hot, noisy, harsh riding etc .... Sure would like to own a "427" while they are still available!
You've already made your choice in your heart. Go get it my friend.

Quick Reply: Which Corvette to Buy for an Old Guy?