C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard vs Automatic - Launch Control

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 03:57 PM
corvet786c
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

You guys are forgetting 1 thing. In a manuel dont forget about gears. Gears can be added to a manuel to be just as fast as a auto. And a better than stock shifter. The auto is consistant but so can a manuel. I am sick and tired of people saying it is faster where there are a whole bunch of variables to be had as well as a manuel car.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Vivid1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corvet786c
You guys are forgetting 1 thing. In a manuel dont forget about gears. Gears can be added to a manuel to be just as fast as a auto. And a better than stock shifter. The auto is consistant but so can a manuel. I am sick and tired of people saying it is faster where there are a whole bunch of variables to be had as well as a manuel car.

I'm sure Manuel would not like any gears added to him.

It doesnt matter what add ons or mods you have to a manual gear box. It is all in the driver. Mods do not make someone a good driver.

Average joe manual vs. average joe auto, same hp in both cars, auto will be more consistant giving it the edge over the manual car.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

So which one is better? Manual or Auto
Old 09-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Vivid1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dif

Old 09-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dif

In the words of Michael Buffer, "Let's get ready to rumble!"
Old 09-28-2011, 07:03 PM
dwat8841
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which is better, blond, brunette, or red head? If they are built right, who cares!!!!! I like the auto!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:07 PM
corvet786c
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Vivid1
I'm sure Manuel would not like any gears added to him.

It doesnt matter what add ons or mods you have to a manual gear box. It is all in the driver. Mods do not make someone a good driver.

Average joe manual vs. average joe auto, same hp in both cars, auto will be more consistant giving it the edge over the manual car.
Yes you have a point but not all drivers who drive a vette are bad. There are some good drivers who are precise in shifting.

My brother has an 08 auto and I have a 08 manuel. We both raced from a roll and soon dead stop. If you are ever goin to race a auto 08 vette you better be able to shift quick. Which I was able to do.

Anyone can drive an auto just push the gas and go. It takes practice and maneuvering to drive an stick jmo.

Last edited by corvet786c; 09-28-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:55 PM
fastcarz06
Intermediate

Iam not going to comment on how fast a automatic is because I have not driven one as yet. But I can say that I am very happy with my manual, if your talking about street light sprints I can tell you that there is nothing about the manual that will make it slower than a automatic. I have experienced a few stop light sprints and if you bring the rpms up a little and let off on the clutch this car will fly up to 52 in first gear before you need to shift to second. Now if your running at a quarter mile track which will require you to do more shifting, then a auto would be less effort Iam sure. But I can tell you that the manual lacks nothing in a street light sprint or on the highway. When Iam driving down the highway and need to pass the power is there with no hesitation. This is a great car with either transmission and I think it is a matter of preference more than a performance issue. You will never notice a difference in performance if your using your car in normal every day driving, and unless you race your car at the track it makes no difference.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:07 AM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell

I had to chuckle at this one. I remember seeing those guys get smoked by the Ramchargers driving their TORQUEFLITE Dodges...

This subject goes on and on. I had a manual C5, which I did race and ALWAYS had traction issues. And even though I had more RWHP than many opponents, I lost because I couldn't hook up or missed a shift more times than I care to count. Now I have a 2006 A6 that I bought new. I have over 100 runs on my stock runflats ( I wouldn't even attempt that with my M6 C5 ) and I run against a lot of very good racers at Englishtown. Here's the truth.....99% of the top running and winning cars are autos. So, if you want a great DD and have stop light go power...get an A6. I always loved shifting my M6, but, unless you're into road racing, the A6 wins every time. Plus, I'm not even going to mention what happens when you get a tranny tune from ECS or COW... Yes, it's crazy.

Now here is a man who "KNOWS" what he is talking about !!
I've been there (E Town) and have won my share of races, and many of my wins were because the manual shifted car screwed up for one reason or other.. i.e. missed shift, or spin off the line, or "BOG" off the line.. also I was in a losing position in a race vs a manual, Until he missed 3rd gear, thus "GIVING" me a win and $$$$$ (prize money)

For my type of racing (Drag) Its AUTOMATIC OR or NOTHING !!
Old 09-29-2011, 10:40 AM
JLB768
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Purdue

Well said coming from someone who lives in Bloomington, IN!
Originally from Southern California
Old 09-29-2011, 01:43 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JLB768
Originally from Southern California
Old 09-29-2011, 03:07 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

So my question is, as far as quality and repair problems. Which is better?
Old 09-29-2011, 03:36 PM
JLB768
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by speedlink
I think it's fair to say, there's likely more manuals in the shop for trans repairs/replacment parts, than autos. Lets face it, aside of the fact that some manual trans are abused just having fun, after years of driving, there's still people out there that have a habit of riding the clutch/brakes, and will be in the shop more often than usual. If ya ride the brakes, you'll need brakes sooner than others, and if ya ride the clutch, same outcome, but ya can't ride the clutch in an auto...
Old 09-29-2011, 04:16 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by speedlink
Automatics are more complicated so I would say they cost more for repair. As for quality either one can fail if they were not built properly.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:33 PM
TBonez
2005 Beast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I have to say the OP mentioned he will be in a lot of stop / start driving areas so with that said, and I'm a manual shifter guy all the way...because in my mind a Corvette is a sports car and sports cars, true sports cars should be sticks. However, man....I'm telling you, and the clutch in the standard C6 is lovely smooth but man..... stop start driving SUCKs with a manual lol.... it really does....really. On the other hand, being in control of all those gears...going from 5th to 3rd and watching the front end pull up and it take off like a gunshot..(forgot to mention my car is supercharged and cammed so it really blows your hair back) but it's so cool to have control of the powa....

Hope that confuses you even more lol.... everyone wants thier cake and eat it too sort of thing.

Sounds like you want to go fast....just watch out for him and good luck making the best choice -->
Old 09-29-2011, 05:35 PM
SharkByte
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by KCC6Vert
There are people who would tell you any worthy sports car will include a manual tranny.
If you subscribe to that thinking don't look at Ferrari, they don't make a manual with a normal stick shift anymore. Ferrari went 100% paddle shift a few years ago I think... But what does Ferrari know about performance... they got beat in GT3 racing by a Chevy
Old 09-29-2011, 06:19 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JLB768
I think it's fair to say, there's likely more manuals in the shop for trans repairs/replacment parts, than autos. Lets face it, aside of the fact that some manual trans are abused just having fun, after years of driving, there's still people out there that have a habit of riding the clutch/brakes, and will be in the shop more often than usual. If ya ride the brakes, you'll need brakes sooner than others, and if ya ride the clutch, same outcome, but ya can't ride the clutch in an auto...

If you read these forums at all you have to be aware of all the "fixes" available for the clutch sticking to the floor, filthy fluid, grinding gears, shifting problems, aftermarket shifters and all the aftermarket support in parts for the above manual trans problems.

Maybe 5% as many problems with Automatics? Very few posts of problems with automatics and very little in aftermarket "fixes".

And remember, there are more automatics than manuals sold.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:12 PM
95PoloGreen
Instructor

In a drag race the auto has always had a launch control. It's called putting your left foot on the brake & taking the revs to about 1200 rpm. You then release the brakes & hold on while the car accelerates away. I was always able to get 2 second or lower 60 ft. times by doing this. A stick is much harder to leave from a dead stop than a auto is. I have driven both in drag races (at a track) and prefere the auto everytime. Now on a winding road that is a different story but since the topic is launch control I'll take the auto over the stick.

Quick Reply: Standard vs Automatic - Launch Control