C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard vs Automatic - Launch Control

Old 09-26-2011, 10:42 AM
GCRoberts
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Standard vs Automatic - Launch Control

I'm debating between standard and automatic transmission. I live in the suburbs and will see a modest amount of "stop & go" traffice, but it's signficantly less than "DC Beltway" type driving. I think I could get used to the inconvience of not having standard...and of course driving stick is more fun (most of the time)!! I really like the "Launch Control" feature that to my understanding is only on standard transmission. Is there an "automatic equavilent" to Launch Control? If I floor it from a dead stop with an automatic, will the computer shift the gears in a similar fashion to the manual transmission Launch Control? Is there a "Launch Control" switch on the automatics?
Old 09-26-2011, 11:42 AM
SG4206
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

No computor launch control on automatics. I believe the automatics are more forgiving in launching from a dead stop. The sticks take more practice for faster 60 ft times over the autos.

I have had both ; auto more consistent ,but the stick is more fun.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:48 AM
GCRoberts
Racer

If you had a race between two grandsport corvettes....one with auto...one with standard (using launch control). Would the standard easily beat the auto...or just beat it by a nose?
Old 09-26-2011, 12:49 PM
KCC6Vert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

OK - I'll bite. I suspect this will end up in a big flame war, but I believe your question is a valid one, so I'll add my feedback. First, welcome to the Forum!

When I went looking for my car, I had a list of "Must Haves". 3lt, convertible, victory red, cashmere top, 6 speed were all on the list. Closest I could come was automatic. The car was a former Florida car, and I couldn't resist all the others being in place. That said, there have been very few times I have regretted not having a manual, and many, many times I've been glad to have the auto. I use the car as a weekend cruiser. It has all the performance I need and then some, so 60 foot times or quarter mile times are N/A to me.

You seem very interested in performance. Will you be dragging the car? Interested in beating a buddy between stoplights (forum frowns on this talk)? HPDE or autocross?

There are people who would tell you any worthy sports car will include a manual tranny. If you subscribe to that thinking, buy the manual. But if you don't have a preconception, the auto is very good, and with tuning, can be outstanding!

Good luck in your decision. I believe there is no wrong answer to your inquiry!
Old 09-26-2011, 01:19 PM
GCRoberts
Racer

No, not interested in dragging. Just want to show off once in a while for a passenger. If I'm on a road that is cop free...I want to see what it can do. If the automatic can come close to the performance of the Launch Control, that would be fine. Sounds like it would be close.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:43 PM
dwat8841
Advanced

My 2011 GS Verte is my first Corvette. Drove my son-in-law's 08 M6 Coupe for a few months will he was away in the Navy. I enjoyed the manual trans but do not miss shifting with the clutch since my GS is a DD. I have a background of sports cars and muscle cars (last two were modded Mustang Cobras) I enjoy the A6 with a good tune and have not looked back. Great car to have fun with or DD as the need be.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:45 PM
MuscleVette
Racer

Old 09-26-2011, 01:51 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by GCRoberts
If you had a race between two grandsport corvettes....one with auto...one with standard (using launch control). Would the standard easily beat the auto...or just beat it by a nose?
I don't think the manual with the LC would beat the auto at all.....much less easily.

Our 2010 GS has the LC & I've tried it twice. Once on the OEM Goodyears & once after I had PS2's put on.

Both times it spun like mad for ~100 feet before gaining traction. I'm sure it looked cool from a distance,but as far racing goes,it's garbage & it would take a pretty sorry driver not to be able to best it on your own.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Stogie Lover
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08

No, not interested in dragging. Just want to show off once in a while for a passenger. If I'm on a road that is cop free...I want to see what it can do. If the automatic can come close to the performance of the Launch Control, that would be fine. Sounds like it would be close.
I don't know about the Launch Control, but I have an automatic '07 vert, with just the stock engine - nothing done to it whatsoever. Let me tell you - gunning it from a dead stop will leave you and any passenger in awe of it's power. If that is the only reason you are thinking you need the manual - don't bother.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:07 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

If I floor it from a dead stop with an automatic, will the computer shift the gears in a similar fashion to the manual transmission Launch Control? Is there a "Launch Control" switch on the automatics?
A misunderstanding of launch control? It doesn't "shift" for you, you still have to manually depress the clutch and move the shift lever once you're moving.

A VERY experienced manual shift operator might beat a rookie in an Automatic in a drag race but any situation like a roll on downshift the Auto will win. Want to impress your friends? Floor your A6 from a 35 MPH roll.

A6 advantages;

No missed shifts.
No clutch fluid changes.
No "heel /toe worries, your left foot is just for braking
No problems moving from a stop on a steep grade
No worries about overrevving the engine from a missed downshift
Old 09-26-2011, 06:16 PM
JLargo
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Here is my opinion. I had an 07 coupe m6 that I loved, but wanted a vert. I figured I would get the automatic in the vert and the paddles would give me my fix for manual shifting. Well, the auto was nice, but I missed the hell out of the manual and rowing through the gears. I just purchased a 2011 GS and did not think twice about going with the manual. Bottom line for me, no substitute for the true manual tranny.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:22 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I am an automatic person just because I am tired of the clutches. I would love to have a ZR1 with an automatic. I just dont understand the CTS V that has the automatic yet no Z06 or ZR1 with automatics.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:30 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulB
I am an automatic person just because I am tired of the clutches. I would love to have a ZR1 with an automatic. I just dont understand the CTS V that has the automatic yet no Z06 or ZR1 with automatics.
An automatic in the Z06 or ZR1 would probably not get enough sales to make it worthwhile. The Z06 and ZR1 are low volume vehicles.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:49 PM
raysk
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not an expert, still waiting for the 2012 GS i just ordered with manual. this is my first corvette. this will be my fun weekend car, and i will love shifting through the gears, etc. i got what i wanted, for me it was an easy decision.

I would agree for most drivers, a auto would usually beat a manual transmission car in a drag. I would also agree that either version of a C6 would accelerate so fast your passenger would be impressed.

I would just say, think about what you want to do while driving this car in the normal way you intend to use it, and get that. launching it will be a very infrequent thing, and as said by others, either version will result in the wow factor you want.

I don't know....if you can envision yourself really loving driving around in an automatic, then maybe that's the best option for you.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:04 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to show off driving skills for a passenger then this would eliminate an automatic transmission; if you want to show off how quick your car is you should probably get the automatic so you won't be embarrased by blowing a launch or shift.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:06 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 120 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

I'm debating between standard and automatic transmission. I live in the suburbs and will see a modest amount of "stop & go" traffice, but it's signficantly less than "DC Beltway" type driving. I think I could get used to the inconvience of not having standard...and of course driving stick is more fun (most of the time)!! I really like the "Launch Control" feature that to my understanding is only on standard transmission. Is there an "automatic equavilent" to Launch Control? If I floor it from a dead stop with an automatic, will the computer shift the gears in a similar fashion to the manual transmission Launch Control? Is there a "Launch Control" switch on the automatics?
I think one of the things that no one has answered is about shifting on an A6. If you do not shift at the right time (when in manual mode only) the rev limiter will let the fuel shut off starve the engine so you need to watch when you shift using the paddles the same way you need to do with a stick. I'm waiting for mine but have test driven many with sticks and A6's and for me the A6 is the ticket. Not as in LEO ticket.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:18 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Why are we talking opinion here? Isn't there some subjective test that has run a 2011 GS M6 vs an A6? If not let's do it. Then we can know if the hand built Wixom engine with the dry sump oil system is designed to be faster in the M6. Or we can discover if the power robbing necessary (what is it - 5% loss to run the automatic - that would be 436 hp vs 415 hp?) to run the automatic can overcome the "lack of efficient manual shifting". No opinions here based on emotion but as Sgt. Friday used to say "Just the facts maam, just the facts." Come on, where are all you archival searchers?

Get notified of new replies

To Standard vs Automatic - Launch Control

Old 09-26-2011, 11:43 PM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't plan on tracking your car, the A6 would be great for stoplight acceleration. Just step on it.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:54 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sdurg24
Why are we talking opinion here? Isn't there some subjective test that has run a 2011 GS M6 vs an A6? If not let's do it. Then we can know if the hand built Wixom engine with the dry sump oil system is designed to be faster in the M6. Or we can discover if the power robbing necessary (what is it - 5% loss to run the automatic - that would be 436 hp vs 415 hp?) to run the automatic can overcome the "lack of efficient manual shifting". No opinions here based on emotion but as Sgt. Friday used to say "Just the facts maam, just the facts." Come on, where are all you archival searchers?
Where did you get 5% loss? Multiple dyno runs put the A6 @ 10 RWHP lower than the M6.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:15 AM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How about looking at the quarter mile list:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1578...-post5327.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Standard vs Automatic - Launch Control