C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2011 disaster.....What do I do?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 12:32 PM
topper7788
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
At this point I think you are handling it well. A comment about what was discussed earlier in this thread. They can take your car back and treat it as new if they have not sent the paperwork off to the state to have a title issued for it. I know that is how it works in Texas and I can't imagine it would not be the same there. The title is what makes it no longer a new car. In fact, I have questioned dealers I know why it takes so long to issue license plates, and that is one of the reasons they have told me - they don't want to license (and title) them right away in case there is a problem.

I don't know your situation regarding this - but it's possible that is why they are asking you not to drive it. They know they might get it back and want low miles and no additional risk of any sort of road dings or scratches.

Without question if he dealer is asking him not to drive it as I mentioned in an earlier post, the dealers definitely thinking he may get the car back...

Monday this thing will take direction on how it's going to play out. The dealer is trying to assess who is going to take responsibility and absorb costs... I'm sure he is trying to get GM to step up assuming no paint work was done by selling dealer or the other dealer where the car came from originally...

If GM and the dealer deny any responsibilitY and tell the OP to pound sand (which I don't think is going to happen) the next step is to an independent body shop and get verification that paint work was done... If the OP can get that he will have several options on how to proceed...

But he should wait till the dealer let's him know if they have it handled...

I've been down this road a few times as a dealer and can can say with pretty good certainty that the above is what's probably going on at the dealership... As long as the dealer himself or GM of the store is involved it will probably be resolved... Although getting into a screaming match with the dealer will not help in any way...it certainly doesn't sound like the dealer is denying there is a issue... Only how to resolve....
Old 10-23-2011, 12:49 PM
TripleAstyle123
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not the sun, its a metallic paint which is very hard to match. Transit damage fixed by the dealer which is very very common. Bring it back, Why would you want a new car thats already been re-painted? It will never match unless they blend it IMO.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:17 PM
topper7788
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

" Bring it back, Why would you want a new car thats already been re-painted? It will never match unless they blend it IMO.[/QUOTE]

I've seen several posts where this has been said..

Understand the OP bought a car which is a contractural purchase, it's not a shirt from Macy's he cannot simply "bring it back" unless Minnasota law has some specific language that says he can Or the actual purchase contract offered that (which I seriously dought)

There is no 3 day right of cancellation, which is the most misunderstood comment we here in the car business.. The only time a buyer would get a 3 day right to cancel a contract would be if it fell under the home solicitation act. That would mean the dealer would have had to consummate the sale at the customers home or place of business..

In every state that I am familiar with once a consumer signs a contract, and takes delivery of the vehicle (some states require physical delivery some don't) he owns it... The dealer would have to agree to rescind the sale for him to return it..which sometime dealers do.. But it's not a right

Last edited by topper7788; 10-23-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:44 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by TripleAstyle123
Its not the sun, its a metallic paint which is very hard to match. Transit damage fixed by the dealer which is very very common. Bring it back, Why would you want a new car thats already been re-painted? It will never match unless they blend it IMO.
It's not "transit" damage fixed by dealer.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:33 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by jrrjbl
R&L

Suggestions are very good and your option list is very good as well.

What I don't know is if you will keep the car for an extended time, you know like five years or so. If you are a 2 year guy like me, then you will need something to prove the car wasn't in an accident and the manufacturer is paying to repair a factory defect.

A letter would be nice from GM in case you go to sell it and someone says its been repainted
and wants to make you grab your ankles on trade in value.

Maybe the dealer could put in writing that within a certain time frame. like the length of the power train warranty, they will give you full "excellent" trade in value from say KBB. Even if you don't buy the replacement from them.
Excellent idea, one I wouldn't have thought of.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Excellent idea, one I wouldn't have thought of.
Would that not be on the GMVIS report?
Old 10-23-2011, 04:59 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Racer
Would that not be on the GMVIS report?
I asked about that and they said it would be , but I don't know what it would exactly say. If it would just say "fender repaint" it would be good to have proof of why.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:15 PM
BLK281
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, I'm not really sure why people think the factory is better equiped to match the paint than a local paint shop. If there are inconsistencies from the factory - as would be the case if the car came from the factory this way, then what makes people think they more qualified? If they were so damn good at it, then why did it go out like that? Their "million dollar paint factory" is not set up for custom painting and matching. It's set up to paint an entire car all at once from a single batch of paint.

What I would ask for is pretty simple - tell the dealer you want either the dealer or the paint shop of the owners choice paint it until it's acceptable. Any decent size city will have a paint shop that specializes in high end cars and picky owners.

Let's not forget that cars get in accidents every day and panels get repainted. Heck, the owner could wait two months to get a new car, then have someone back into his fender at a local parking lot and he's going to be faced with the same issue.
I would be willing to bet the car didn't leave BG this way.

That fender is WAY OFF...while there may be micro inconsistencies in day to day batches of paint, theres no way theres that kind of error.

As far as the other part of your question/reply regarding paint matching etc..I'll just say you dont understand what these factories are capable of and leave it at that.

I'm almost thinking of shipping out my 2000.00 PosiTector ultrasonic gauge to the OP...then we'll know FOR SURE if the panel has been repainted.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:23 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Wow! That is a little disappointing to see. If the shade difference shows that much in a picture it must really be drastic in real life. I don't blame you for wanting to nix the deal.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:30 PM
stone150
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

It's quite possible that at BG all the panels were painted together (they have a special jig they put the panels on), but that one had some paint issues or got damaged at the factory. So they replaced it with another panel from he factory, but they never match quite right.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:58 PM
LKicklight
Burning Brakes

Default Damage

The vette would have never left Bowling Green in that condition, trust me on that. I have had two late model vettes come off the line, been there to see how they look...perfect or it goes back to the CAROLINE...if its not fixed correctly, it don't go anywhere but the junk yard, certainly not to a paying dealer..something had to damage the car either at the dealer or in transit..not the factory...take it back to the dealer and either asked for you old car back or a total repaint, get the factory rep involved also..like now, don't wait another day!!!
Old 10-23-2011, 09:05 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK281
I would be willing to bet the car didn't leave BG this way.

That fender is WAY OFF...while there may be micro inconsistencies in day to day batches of paint, theres no way theres that kind of error.

As far as the other part of your question/reply regarding paint matching etc..I'll just say you dont understand what these factories are capable of and leave it at that.

I'm almost thinking of shipping out my 2000.00 PosiTector ultrasonic gauge to the OP...then we'll know FOR SURE if the panel has been repainted.

Ok, you have established that it didn't leave the factory like that, and I can't disagree with you. But the dealers say it didn't get repainted there either.

As far as the factories abilities - I get what you are saying. But my point was that the million dollar equipment is not there to do repair work. If you know more than I do though, feel free to share it rather than say "I'll just leave at that". I've never learned anything by making it up myself - I learn from others.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:14 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LKicklight
The vette would have never left Bowling Green in that condition, trust me on that. I have had two late model vettes come off the line, been there to see how they look...perfect or it goes back to the CAROLINE...if its not fixed correctly, it don't go anywhere but the junk yard, certainly not to a paying dealer..something had to damage the car either at the dealer or in transit..not the factory...take it back to the dealer and either asked for you old car back or a total repaint, get the factory rep involved also..like now, don't wait another day!!!
I would like to believe that also but a forum member sent me this link.
Look familiar ?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...n-repairs.html
Old 10-23-2011, 09:18 PM
hulksdaddy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LKicklight

It absolutely could have left like that. First fender, flaw. Replace with new fender, slightly different shade, but no flaw, off it goes.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Ten-Zing
Instructor

Send it to BG on November 23, tell em you want it back perfect by April 2... Free winter storage.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:06 PM
azcanuk
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Default I don't think so...

That is what I asked for first. Dealer said GM rep said that was not a possibility, that a color match was impossible that way. They said they could send factory paint to a paint shop here.
Well I'm inclined to disagree with what the rep is telling you.. I got mine delivered and it MATCHES PERFECTLY.. if you want to continue getting the run around, keep talking to the dealer.. if you want to get this resovled.. talk to BG.

I'm speaking from experience, I heard the same things you are hearing! When I contacted BG about my paint job, I was on my way to getting it resolved in the manner it should have been..
Old 10-23-2011, 10:08 PM
BLK281
Racer

Ok, you have established that it didn't leave the factory like that, and I can't disagree with you. But the dealers say it didn't get repainted there either.

As far as the factories abilities - I get what you are saying. But my point was that the million dollar equipment is not there to do repair work. If you know more than I do though, feel free to share it rather than say "I'll just leave at that". I've never learned anything by making it up myself - I learn from others.
First off..I don't believe a damn thing the dealers say..period.

But, you are right..the equipment is not there to do "repair" work.

OTOH, the capabilities the paint production facilities have are about endless.

Have you ever watched a jobber (or in house Chevy/Toyota/etc) tech mix paint? Its mixed by volume on a scale. By a human. Then, the painter adds reducer. Usually by scale, but more often than not..by a gradiated mixing cup. Not real accurate. Human error is HUGE in the refinishing biz, and thats before it even gets to the end painter. Thats why blending is such the norm.

Factories mix their paint by computer from beginning to end, and with far greater precision than what you, me, or Billy Bob painter can get out of a 400.00 scale.
Plus, at the factory, small pieces are painted randomly as each color is sprayed and checked against an approved "sample"..both are checked by not only a human, but also a spectrometer to make sure the color is within tolerance.

Then, add in the fact that robots paint just about every large item that goes on these cars. That in itself is huge as far as color matching..Racer outlined that earlier in this thread. Color can be affected by gun, gun distance, stroke, overlap, humidity, whether someone drank a six pack the night before..on and on. Robots..well..they don't have that issue.

In the OP's case..BG could send a fender in and have it sprayed, although it may be somewhat inconvenient. But its done, as many here have heard and read about Vette panels having flaws and being sent back down the line to be reshot after predelivery inspection.

Lets put it this way..I consider myself to be among the best refinishers/custom painters out there. I've painted for some pretty famous people, and I have my own 100K booth I spray in. Its a hobby for me now, for the most part. Time is not important.

I'd STILL want BG to redo my fender if I had the OP's issue and my car was brand new.

Get notified of new replies

To New 2011 disaster.....What do I do?????

Old 10-23-2011, 10:12 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BLK281
First off..I don't believe a damn thing the dealers say..period.

But, you are right..the equipment is not there to do "repair" work.

OTOH, the capabilities the paint production facilities have are about endless.

Have you ever watched a jobber (or in house Chevy/Toyota/etc) tech mix paint? Its mixed by volume on a scale. By a human. Then, the painter adds reducer. Usually by scale, but more often than not..by a gradiated mixing cup. Not real accurate. Human error is HUGE in the refinishing biz, and thats before it even gets to the end painter. Thats why blending is such the norm.

Factories mix their paint by computer from beginning to end, and with far greater precision than what you, me, or Billy Bob painter can get out of a 400.00 scale.
Plus, at the factory, small pieces are painted randomly as each color is sprayed and checked against an approved "sample"..both are checked by not only a human, but also a spectrometer to make sure the color is within tolerance.

Then, add in the fact that robots paint just about every large item that goes on these cars. That in itself is huge as far as color matching..Racer outlined that earlier in this thread. Color can be affected by gun, gun distance, stroke, overlap, humidity, whether someone drank a six pack the night before..on and on. Robots..well..they don't have that issue.

In the OP's case..BG could send a fender in and have it sprayed, although it may be somewhat inconvenient. But its done, as many here have heard and read about Vette panels having flaws and being sent back down the line to be reshot after predelivery inspection.

Lets put it this way..I consider myself to be among the best refinishers/custom painters out there. I've painted for some pretty famous people, and I have my own 100K booth I spray in. Its a hobby for me now, for the most part. Time is not important.

I'd STILL want BG to redo my fender if I had the OP's issue and my car was brand new.

Thanks for taking the time to post that. I actually think we are pretty much on the same page.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:17 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by azcanuk
Well I'm inclined to disagree with what the rep is telling you.. I got mine delivered and it MATCHES PERFECTLY.. if you want to continue getting the run around, keep talking to the dealer.. if you want to get this resovled.. talk to BG.
I'm speaking from experience, I heard the same things you are hearing! When I contacted BG about my paint job, I was on my way to getting it resolved in the manner it should have been..
A fellow forum member with some friends in high places had me email them pics, vin# and order#. They said BG plant manager would have them Monday morning.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:20 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

A fellow forum member with some friends in high places had me email them pics, vin# and order#. They said BG plant manager would have them Monday morning.
Good to hear. My guess is that things will be better for you in the next day or two.

Quick Reply: New 2011 disaster.....What do I do?????