C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trade-in values?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 02:43 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Default trade-in values?

I see used car prices going up a bit in some cases- it seems my '09 has on KBB, Edmunds, NADA etc.

I was wondering if any of you have recent experience trading your C6 for, say NADA excellent (or whatever was a fair condition in your case)?

Not leaving Corvettes, just thinking of trading in for a new driver for the wife, and going back at least pre-C4...
Old 10-31-2011, 03:29 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I sold my '09 1LT 6-speed coupe to CarMax back in July. It had around 2,000 miles on it. They gave me $36,000 for it. I thought I did OK since I bought it new for $39,900. They ended up selling it for $38,900 after it sat on their lot for 6+ weeks.

I would expect a little less now that it's almost November.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:31 PM
Gerdia
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KBB states my 07 3LT Z51 vert has trade in value of 35,800 or 38,200 to sell privately. 20k miles, in Philly area.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:35 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

I just traded my 05 1SB (3lt) with 17K miles and they gave me 28K.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:36 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Thanks guys.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:42 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

32 grand trade for my 24,000 mile 08 1LT z51 coupe in June.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:17 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

My friend was just offered $27k for his 08 1LT, suspension mods and auto tranny.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:09 PM
cartop2
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
My friend was just offered $27k for his 08 1LT, suspension mods and auto tranny.
He needs to check out the post above (Top_Fuel) for a car that was only a year newer. Seems low.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:29 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Originally Posted by cartop2
He needs to check out the post above (Top_Fuel) for a car that was only a year newer. Seems low.
Car max around here in Utah offered him a little more, I think it was still under $30k though.

I traded in my 08 4LT in July for $32k. Location is everything and around here in Utah they screw you on the trade in.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:29 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
I see used car prices going up a bit in some cases- it seems my '09 has on KBB, Edmunds, NADA etc.

I was wondering if any of you have recent experience trading your C6 for, say NADA excellent (or whatever was a fair condition in your case)?
Not leaving Corvettes, just thinking of trading in for a new driver for the wife, and going back at least pre-C4...
You're not going to get anywhere near NADA excellent. My wife decided recently she wanted something different so we went to several dealers and not one of them was within $5k of what NADA said it was worth on trade-in. Was fine by me,as I didn't want to get rid of it anyways.

Ours is a pristine 2010 GS 3LT Vert with nav,heritage,& NPP.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:50 AM
moog5050
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$37k on a 2008 3lt vert with 11k. Good luck.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:55 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Also remember that theres a big difference between "trade-in value" and what your car is actually worth on the fair market. A car dealer can make money either way on a trade.. he can offer you less than the fair market value (meaning your trade-in value was lower than average) but still you the newer car for a great price. Or he can offer you MORE than the fair market value and sell you a newer overpriced car. Either way, the dealer is guaranteed to come out ahead.

Just because you got a decent price at trade-in.. doesnt mean you didnt get snagged on the other end. Especially when trading an older vette for a newer vette. Remember some of the newer Vettes are seeing as much as $20k knocked off the sticker price. If youre getting a "great" deal for your trade, but paying close to sticker.. then reality is you arent getting a great deal at all.

From everything I seen/heard/personally witnessed. The CarMax value of your car, is pretty much true to what its really worth. You may win or lose a little bit when selling (not trading) your car to CarMax. But they are about as fair, as fair gets when it comes time to move on from your vehicle. Their written offer is also good for 7 days, giving you plenty of time to shop around and try to beat it.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:21 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Terrible time for sellers.

Bad economy, big discounts on new models, C6 is 7+ years old, wrong time of year, tightening lending standards, you-name-it.

I'd be very surprised if used-C6 prices go up anytime soon -- if ever.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:24 PM
C5 2K1 Dream
Instructor

I don't see them rising again. With the C7 on the horizon they're gonna fall just like the previous C5 and C4 models did. I believe maintaining a prestine, low mileage, Z06 or ZR1 is gonna be the only things to hold their values the best......but they too will fall some.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:35 PM
moog5050
Racer

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Also remember that theres a big difference between "trade-in value" and what your car is actually worth on the fair market. A car dealer can make money either way on a trade.. he can offer you less than the fair market value (meaning your trade-in value was lower than average) but still you the newer car for a great price. Or he can offer you MORE than the fair market value and sell you a newer overpriced car. Either way, the dealer is guaranteed to come out ahead.

Just because you got a decent price at trade-in.. doesnt mean you didnt get snagged on the other end. Especially when trading an older vette for a newer vette. Remember some of the newer Vettes are seeing as much as $20k knocked off the sticker price. If youre getting a "great" deal for your trade, but paying close to sticker.. then reality is you arent getting a great deal at all.

From everything I seen/heard/personally witnessed. The CarMax value of your car, is pretty much true to what its really worth. You may win or lose a little bit when selling (not trading) your car to CarMax. But they are about as fair, as fair gets when it comes time to move on from your vehicle. Their written offer is also good for 7 days, giving you plenty of time to shop around and try to beat it.
I agree with this, but also keep in mind the sales tax saving on trading vs. selling outright. I figured at my trade number, the true value for me was about $40k. I might have been able to sell it for $42k, but not worth the hassle. I worked the deal on the new car before I ever discussed trade-in.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Depreciation is so bad on the C6 that you question why trade or sell. Might as well keep it, we lost over $25,000 on a 2006 model, probably more. I see all the goings on to store for the winter, wonder why, your going to loose two to three thousand just having it sitting there. The recession/depression really did values in.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:40 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

The advantage right now is that buying a car right now is fantastic. In a real good economy you'll get more for selling your car but you won't get $10-15k below sticker off a new one. The C7s will probably have the same sticker price to start but the difference is that they'll sell for close to or above sticker while the last year's C6 will be below invoice. About 3 years after the C7 comes out you'll have people complaining that values dropped because they paid sticker or more.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:08 PM
VicCaerter
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06

HORSE ****!!!!
They tried to screw me out of over 3 grand. I bought an 02 Z06 from them at 23k and then went back a year later and they offered me 16k with 10k more miles on it. A few weeks later a dealer bought it outright for 19k. I will never again do business with those swindlers!

Last edited by VicCaerter; 11-05-2011 at 08:38 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-04-2011, 09:24 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
Terrible time for sellers.

Bad economy, big discounts on new models, C6 is 7+ years old, wrong time of year, tightening lending standards, you-name-it.

I'd be very surprised if used-C6 prices go up anytime soon -- if ever.
October sales of new Vettes fell 6.4% from last year, which were already dismal, down to only 946 units. The Vette hasn't improved in any significant way since '09, and in recent years they have been giving the "new" models away in order to sell any of them.

Get notified of new replies

To trade-in values?

Quick Reply: trade-in values?