C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pros & cons of used

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 09:25 AM
sprtplt
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
Wonder why we want the prices of used Vettes to be low? That will just hurt us when we sell of trade our cars.

I went to trade my 07 for a Z in 08. They only offered me $30k. Kept the 07 and it is still worth $30k now in trade at that!!
Not unless it has less than 5k miles and you are paying retail on the trade.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:33 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by sprtplt
Not unless it has less than 5k miles and you are paying retail on the trade.
I think used prices are holding or up a bit. I just got 28K for my 05 3lt with 16K miles on it. I think you could get 30K on a 07. JMO
Old 12-11-2011, 09:35 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,900 Likes on 1,917 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
I think used prices are holding or up a bit. I just got 28K for my 05 3lt with 16K miles on it. I think you could get 30K on a 07. JMO
All depends on the area. Used cars are at a premium around here.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:22 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OregonC6
I would never buy a used out of warranty vette or any other kind of performance car. I say this, unfortunately, because of personal experience.

These cars are very high tech in many ways esp engine control. Out of warranty can get very expensive if some electronic module quits. Even diagnosing the problem can be expensive. If you do buy a car that has warranty make certain by checking with the dealer against the VIN that the car hasn't been denied warranty coverage in the past due to performance mods.

Buy new.
Get real.. Thats ridiculous... Most vettes are garage queens that are pampered and lightly used.. There are many used cars in as new condition for MUCH less than a new one..
These cars are built for performance and can take a beating without falling apart..
and the sophisticated engine controls are all solid state and are proven to last the life of the car..
You can save thousands by buying used.. and end up with practically a "new" car without worry.. and you will enjoy it more knowing u paid less...
Old 12-11-2011, 10:32 AM
jaki30
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 309 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

The market is bad right now. Between the holiday and the economy and income taxes next month, I don't see any improvement until March/April. Normal Corvette season.
I haven't had any interest in my fully loaded CRM 08 coupe with 3,400 miles on it. None, nada. I even lowered the price to $37k. Still nothing.
I would tell the OP to just offer what he feels it is worth. If they say no, move on. There are a lot of Corvettes out there!
Old 12-11-2011, 11:49 AM
thatonedude1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could not agree more

Originally Posted by C6~Missle
Get real.. Thats ridiculous... Most vettes are garage queens that are pampered and lightly used.. There are many used cars in as new condition for MUCH less than a new one..
These cars are built for performance and can take a beating without falling apart..
and the sophisticated engine controls are all solid state and are proven to last the life of the car..
You can save thousands by buying used.. and end up with practically a "new" car without worry.. and you will enjoy it more knowing u paid less...
I totally agree with C6 Missle. A large % of vettes are owned by mature men who have covetted these cars for decades before finally buying one. The are usually garaged and pampered with wax and service, driven mildy in good weather only. Sometimes that owner finds out they are not using it fully, they got it out of their system, or for whatever reason the decide to sell it after a year. For the right price, many vettes can be an outstanding value in a used car. I do like the idea of having at least a year of the 3/36 warranty left to catch any potential problems.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:42 PM
jaki30
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 309 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by C6~Missle
I would never buy new. The brutal price depreciation just doesn't make financial sense unless you are really wealthy.
As far as buying used, just run the VIS from your local dealer. That will tell you whether or not the car suffered from major complaints during it's early life. Have the dealer do the inspection to determine if the car has been repainted/repaired. And, never, ever put your full trust in the national auto background databases. They all claim that some information may or may not have been reported!
Old 12-11-2011, 01:41 PM
ClipperFan
Race Director

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by J Willis
I don't know where his location is, but there's no way in the world he can buy a 2008 for 25K or 31K around here........ You're talking more like 2005 prices.
my brother just sold his 08 low mileage 2LT for 30k, that he bought for about 33k a year ago...........still took 2-3 months, deals are out there
Old 12-11-2011, 01:52 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

There are deals out there if you shop and much better with private sellers than dealers price theirs at.

I bought this 2007 LMB Z51 3LT Convert with every option available including Nav, chrome wheels and Power top from the original owner this May for $34,000. Had 2,751 miles on it, included all original documents, CD's, Manuals and an unopened brochure, the original window sticker shows a total of $66,295.

Quick Reply: pros & cons of used