C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can driving a vette cause hostility?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 08:05 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

only hostility Ive seen has been from people that think cars should only be for transporting people and groceries from point a to b on 55mph roads.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:08 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,951 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

if you think people haven't been "envious" of Corvette owners since 1953, you're wrong. the envy has, however, sometimes morphed into anger due to whatever reasons.

while I don't personally encounter much of it, the best ones to watch are in the rearview at a light, and almost always a couple. the staring and conversation are not animated but I can just about hear,

"it must be cold in that convertible.

he must be roasting in that convertible.

how silly to own a car with only two seats.

why would anyone want to own a car like THAT?

it's so impractical.

no, you CAN'T buy one--EVER.

that thing must get horrible gas mileage, and in this time of gas shortages.

can you believe the color of that car--who would ever buy it?

no, you can't buy that car, EVER!"

Old 12-14-2011, 08:44 AM
dmarr73
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by COL-INF
Best story of "appearances deceive" is where I'm in line in a bank on a military post. Officer in uniform five folks ahead of me needs a haircut and two very junior officers behind me are commenting on the fact. Officer completes his business, turns to leave, and I notice he is wearing only one ribbon.............the Medal of Honor. I say, "Have a nice day, sir." The two junior officers were speechless.

As for the politics on this forum today, vote early and often in 2012.
Well there's two red flags on that medal of honor. 1st if you got the medal of honor you would have your campaign ribbons. Second is the fact that no officer has had the medal of honor during oif or oef that came back alive ( LT Murphy S.E.A.L. Afghanistan 2005)

Last edited by dmarr73; 12-14-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:05 AM
PGSJOE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had nothing but positive comments, waves, honks and smiles. If someone does not like the car, my age or face I hope they live long enough to get over it.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have a vet yet but in about 6 yrs I hope I can afford one. I said this story in another thread, but one of my friend is huge hater of corvette, I guess it's my generation, he could be considered a ricer cause his friend drives a Honda with black rims and tinted windows, however, his dad is a huge corvette fan like me. I could never drive anything Japanese over American. But I bet if had a corvette and he took a ride with me, he would have a different opinion. Idk why he hates it, I never been in a vette before, but I already know its that good, it must be the age to like Hondas toyotas. To me their the most boring cars going, even their own companies agree with me for their lack of power and style. One last thing it pisses me off when ricers want to race a vette and think they can win. Long live American Power
Old 12-14-2011, 10:56 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Two short stories

First

I am a real car nut, gear head that enjoys racing. We have been fortunate enough to have purchased a new Corvette several years ago. My wife who has the patience of a saint has allowed me to modify it for racing and yet we can drive it back & forth to Florida twice a year.

I occasionally take it to run errands for my wife. I went to the local food store and as usual park away from most of the cars. As I parked a couple in a small foreign car (one of my least favorite hybrids) parked near me and commented on the Corvette.

I usually get comments about how nice it looks. This was much different. The young couple inquired why didn’t I just purchase a large SUV to ruin the planet and use up all of its resources. How could I be so selfish to buy a car that had such terrible gas mileage and pollute our air?

I was taken a bit off guard as I had never been chastised for what I drive even when I drove around with my very obnoxious supercharged Mustang. Gathering my thoughts, I asked him about his hybrid and then explained:

If you consider the premium you pay for your hybrid you have already paid for the gasoline you saved, there is no more tax credit for hybrids. Let alone the problem of lead in the batteries or the cost of maintenance. I do not profess to have the answers to our energy problems but if GM can build Corvettes that start off with 430 horsepower and are rated at 26 MPG highway & 19 MPG city of which mine and many of my Corvette buddies get better. Then the auto makers can easily build cars that obtain much better gasoline mileage than the current vehicles.

I continued to explain that I could show him my driving around town mileage as the car has a computer that records the overall miles per gallon, the instant miles per gallon and the miles per gallon since the last reset. I always reset it when I fill up.

You can imagine the surprise on their faces when I started the car and asked them to take a look at the DIC. They abruptly turned around and left.

Second

We always participate in the Kerbeck Toys for Tots. We always fill up the entire hatch with toys for the unfortunate children. This year someone passed our Corvette filled with toys and commented "how over the top it was being loaded with toys. To which I was very tempted to answer how can anyone do too much to make a difference in another's life.

My conclusion:

Regardless of political agenda we are seeing a material change in how people think with regard to what other people have. Now more so than ever the perception of success can be problematic. Yes the richer always get richer but for some reason we in the middle have become part of the problem.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:06 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

We in the middle are definitely perceive d as wealthy also.I am considered fortunate that I have generous schedual to allow me enough time to work a second full time job.Many know mind you that my wife is retired do to a disability. I've personally even had "friends" vanish since Ive bought this car. I've experienced road rage simply by driving down the road.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:50 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Bottom line, only to those that are jealous.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:01 AM
apinedo
Heel & Toe

I've gotten compliments, except this one time I got pulled over on my way to Carlisle from Miami, I was driving MY car and my dad on the other seat. The first thing the trooper asked was "Is this your vehicle sir?" I said yes, and then with an odd look on his face he repeated the question and that's when I pulled the registration and license on him. Needless to say, I still had to deal with the ticket.

And of course every now and then someone may start racing me out of thin air, trying to push my buttons.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:09 AM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
I never been in a vette before, but I already know its that good, it must be the age to like Hondas toyotas.
If you lived close to me....I would be happy to give you a ride.

Larry
Old 12-15-2011, 11:05 AM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 386 Likes on 197 Posts

Driving my car relaxes me and always puts me in a great mood, its the other drivers who cause my hostility.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:48 PM
2THOSE
Advanced

Never negative remarks, just
Old 12-18-2011, 06:08 PM
bigalan55
Cruising

Default Vette haters?

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
Ever get any derogatory comments or gestures? Or just compliments? Are people more hostile against younger vette owners because of their age? Just want to hear what you guys think? Just wondering.
I bought my '99 Black C5 in january 2011 and drive it to work daily (about 40 miles round trip). Prior to owning this car I drove Toyota pickups for the last 20 years, I fell in love with this car cause its gorgeous, and insurance wasn't a problem because I have a good driving record. The hardest thing to get used to is the reactions of other drivers when they see this car. They either want to race or flip me off, once I was nearly forced off the road while trying to pass a pickup truck. I don't know if age has anything to do with how people react, my windows are tinted which makes it hard to see me. I carefully pick my times to excerise the car, lord knows I don't need to attract the local law. I am 56 years old, couldn't afford this car when I was younger, drove Camaros, prior to getting married in 1990.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:40 PM
Pack Leader
Racer

Originally Posted by dmarr73
Well there's two red flags on that medal of honor. 1st if you got the medal of honor you would have your campaign ribbons. Second is the fact that no officer has had the medal of honor during oif or oef that came back alive ( LT Murphy S.E.A.L. Afghanistan 2005)
That's a fact. No O's alive that received the medal during OEF/OIF.

Last edited by Pack Leader; 12-18-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:12 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
We in the middle are definitely perceive d as wealthy also.I am considered fortunate that I have generous schedual to allow me enough time to work a second full time job.Many know mind you that my wife is retired do to a disability. I've personally even had "friends" vanish since Ive bought this car. I've experienced road rage simply by driving down the road.

Yes the upper middle and up is thought of as having money by anyone from right at average and down.

And there is class warfare, between the lower class and the middle and upper middle class. It has been prompted by the politicians, both sides, and news media, who are all controlled by the super rich, (top 3% to 5%, maybe less) to keep the masses from paying attention to what they are doing.

The top 5% of the richest have been taking a larger percentage of the total annual income every year for around 20 years. And most of that increase has been going to the top 1% or less. Their percentage of the take at this time is at a high that has been exceeded only one time before in the history of this country. And that was just prior to the Great Depression.

Trying to be successful is all good and well, but when the laws that govern a countries economics are controlled by those whose only goal is to make themselves richer no matter consequences, it is not right and if not controlled it will eventually, and harshly, self-correct.

And when the correction happens 90% of the population will be devastated, no savings, no planning, not anything will help. And the super rich will woefully have to live like merely upper class. Their children may actually have to drive a used cars to Harvard and Yale.

Last edited by hig4s; 12-18-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:46 PM
Keith J Hillman
Intermediate

Devil at work?
Old 08-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Louiehenry
Intermediate

I have found that many people will cool their jets, when I tell them that, yeah I'm 17 with a zr1, but that I got a job, and paid my mom the fair market value for the car. It was my dads and I wanted to work for it and my mom agreed
Old 08-21-2013, 10:13 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,277 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Too much hostility in the thread.

Quick Reply: Can driving a vette cause hostility?