C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 no marketing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 03:54 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino

I hardly remember any Corvette commercials ever, now or in the past.

Guess I'll have to do a you tube search to see if there are any oldies out there I recall.
Maybe it's a market to market thing, but I've seen Corvette advertised as a part of the Chevrolet 100 Anniversary ads here in Phoenix - - but you're right , they're darned few . . . .

I suppose we kind of do that for them . . . .
Old 12-18-2011, 04:07 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I saw the Rockets one a lot (when the 2011 model year came out of course) and now they have the Corvette Racing team dialing back about 160 hp.

Yeah, I loved the dream one also. Cannot be as bad as VW's commercial in England that has a Muslim (ok they never said Muslim but he looks like he is from the Middle East) blow himself up inside I think a Polo when he tried to blow up a suicide car bomb near a cafe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d7Ms48DQX0
Old 12-18-2011, 04:17 PM
Snakes & Arrows
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I saw the Rockets one a lot (when the 2011 model year came out of course) and now they have the Corvette Racing team dialing back about 160 hp.

Yeah, I loved the dream one also. Cannot be as bad as VW's commercial in England that has a Muslim (ok they never said Muslim but he looks like he is from the Middle East) blow himself up inside I think a Polo when he tried to blow up a suicide car bomb near a cafe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d7Ms48DQX0
Outstanding link.. Thanks...
Old 12-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by su8pack1
It's always been like that. The Corvette sells itself.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,511 Likes on 821 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I do not recall ever seeing a Corvette commercial on TV.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:33 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

What I don't understand is that they don't even have a Corvette in the background when they show a Chevrolet showroom. It costs no money to fill up some space back in the corner, and yet it is empty rather than have a Corvette....seems dumb to me.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:48 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
What I don't understand is that they don't even have a Corvette in the background when they show a Chevrolet showroom. It costs no money to fill up some space back in the corner, and yet it is empty rather than have a Corvette....seems dumb to me.
They should just use some free advertising, plus it would help Chevy's image of being value (basic transportation) reputation. But then again they have Cruzes for around $28k and Malibus breaking $30k, even V6 Impalas over $30k. That should take care of the value reputation.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:36 PM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
Ever see a Viper,Mustang GT or Challenger specific commercial?
That is what I was thinking. How many TV ads for Mercedes SL's or SLK's, Porsche Carerra's, Jag XKE's, or BMW Z4's do you see? Low sales do not justify return on investment of advertising dollars.

I do remember that Jumpin' Jack Flash ad. That was cool.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:46 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by DonOH
That is what I was thinking. How many TV ads for Mercedes SL's or SLK's, Porsche Carerra's, Jag XKE's, or BMW Z4's do you see? Low sales do not justify return on investment of advertising dollars.

I do remember that Jumpin' Jack Flash ad. That was cool.
I agree but must bring up the current Mercedes ad where Santa picks out his red convertible SLS AMG to drive. One of the coolest cars of all time. Like I said above, at least Mercedes has this one in the background. The ad is more focused on the $399 a month type MB sedan, but the SLS is right there in bright red. Why not do that kind of thing with the Corvette?
Old 12-18-2011, 10:23 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Let's see, where to begin? I'm in my early 60s and I REMEMBER "that rocket"...the Saturn V. It last flew, I believe, in '74 or '75. Call it a third of a century ago. The greatest achievement of Western Civilization and the United States occurred in those years with the moon landings. It has been and will be all downhill from that.

We do not build rockets like that anymore. Moreover, nobody is alive today with the nerve to build and fly them. The best is in the past.

You have to be my age to understand this.

As for the advertisements. The vette sells itself such as people can afford it. There must be 10 if not 1000000 people out there who want a vette for every single one that buys the car. This is because most cannot afford the car since it is, for the most part, a "toy" that costs far more than a basic automobile for transportation.

The bottom line is that additional advertising on the vette would not increase sales anywhere near enough to even pay for the advertising. The sales potential just isn't there like in the grocery getter ho hum cars.

ps, The Ares I and Ares 5 rockets were to have replaced the Space Shuttle. They were to be essentially copies of the Saturn I and Saturn V rockets though not nearly as good. They even launched the first Ares I. Then the entire program with all the research was scrapped. Like I said nobody in the U.S. has the nerve to play with such monumental rockets anymore. Maybe the Chinese do?
Old 12-18-2011, 10:26 PM
NospdLimit
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by cclive

I was telling my wife the same thing just a few days ago. Why not have a vette in the background?
Old 12-18-2011, 10:49 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

If memory serves me correctly the Corvette Rocket Commercial came out during the Barrett Jackson Auction or a little before. As I recall they did that commercial over and over and just about wore it out. So, Lets see what happenens in January when the next BJ Auction takes place...
Old 12-18-2011, 11:09 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by C6BOB
I've seen several different Corvette commercials on Speed Channel, which is the appropriate place to advertise Corvettes.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:09 PM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

here is a funny -non- GM one....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2vWooRCrL8
Old 12-19-2011, 12:04 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Advertising dollars are spent where the company gets the most bang for the buck. Advertising the Corvette on television has very little ROI.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:22 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

A bit OT here...but GM recently pulled their $700M ad account from the company they've been with for ninety years.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:22 AM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 547 Likes on 262 Posts
USN

Default Thanks Debred.

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1GSVert

Too cool, never seen this.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 no marketing?

Old 12-19-2011, 10:25 AM
mad11C6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

100% agree.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:38 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 216 Likes on 154 Posts

Marketing isn't necessarily just advertising.

To me, one of the best forms of marketing has been Corvette Racing through the ALMS/LeMans effort.

The Corvette team also supports events "for the faithful" (i.e.: presence at various museum events, Carlisle, Bloomington, etc.)

Getting vehicles into the hands of journalists for articles/comparisons also gets eyeballs via ink (thinking about, for example, the recent Motor Trend comparison test using Laguna Seca and various high end sports cars).

Both of the above are targeted more towards enthusiasts than the general public. Whether that's the right approach . . . hopefully someone within the Corvette team has the data that they are best utilizing their resources (dollars and peoplepower).

Last edited by acrace; 12-19-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Government regulations now force the direction of the auto industry instead of consumer demand. Prior to government effectively seizing the US auto industry and before the big push to 'go green' large trucks and SUV's were the money-makers. Over-the-years Chevrolet rarely advertised its Suburban because they sold all they made...why advertise? To a large extent manufacturer's are now compelled to create demand for downsized 'greenmobiles' and the high performance Corvette doesn't quite fit the government mold of what they're telling us to drive. Masta doesn't like those high power V8 engines.

Albeit in very small numbers. The handwriting's on the wall....look for the Volt to be Chevy's new 'Halo' car...not the Corvette.

Quick Reply: C6 no marketing?