C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Three beeps

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 11:48 AM
Pat Wells
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Three beeps

My 2008 Ragtop has started something weird with the horn. When I shut the car off, open the door and close it I get three very sharp and short beeps. Doesn't do it every time, but just about every time. Guys at Chevy don't have a clue and I am out of ideas.
I don't know if it's related or not but the Fuel Mileage as gone to pot too. Was resting at about 32 hwy and now it's hovering around 24 to
25. I have had fluctuations before and the Chevron injection cleaner always cleaned it up. This time it had no effect at all and to top it off I can't see a plug nickels difference between fifth and sixth gear.
Anybody got any ideas?
Old 12-24-2011, 12:01 PM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

The 3 beeps is usually a sign the key fob has a low battery, The cars computer thinks the fob is still inside the car (because it cant detect the signal and it wonders how the door opened) so it honks the horn to let you know the key fob is still inside even if its not. (Its trying to prevent you from locking the fob in.)

As for your fuel milage, have you significatly changed your driving habbits, IE more stop and go and less long drives? The computer is always calculating these things and makes adjustments to the average economy readings. lastly you will not see much difference in economy between 5th and 6th gears, since both are overdrives the car only sees a small rpm difference between the two.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

The 3 beeps probably means you're staying too close to the car after you get out and shut the door. The fob antennas inside the car can still detect the fob and the car "thinks" it was left in the car.

Either turn off the "fob left in the car" warning or else move the fob a little farther away from the car a little sooner.

It has nothing to do with the fob battery getting low.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:07 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Did you have the "Fob Warning" activated on your DIC? Or sometimes your DIC option settings will simply change themselves for no reason, like any computer. But more often, multiple issues like you are having are related to some electrical problem in the car. Usually, the main car battery is dying. You can have it tested and replace if indicated, but sometimes the tests don't find a bad battery. Try putting a charger on it and see if the problems go away for a couple of days.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2011, 12:16 PM
Glen1224
Burning Brakes

Location: Lower Macungie Township ; Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with Roger and Jim; The car thinks there's a fob in the car. Mine did that if If I got out and my wife had the other fob in the car. I turned off the fob warning; problem solved.
As for the gas milage; I noticed a 10% drop when ethanal was added to gas and I always get lower milage in the winter if the gas formula is changed here in the Northeast.

MERRY CHRISTMAS !
Old 12-24-2011, 12:16 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Happens to be quite common if you have the FOB in your pocket when you start closing the door and you are not completely clear of the door opening.
Originally Posted by JimTN
The 3 beeps probably means you're staying too close to the car after you get out and shut the door. The fob antennas inside the car can still detect the fob and the car "thinks" it was left in the car.

Either turn off the "fob left in the car" warning or else move the fob a little farther away from the car a little sooner.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:34 PM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Pat Wells
My 2008 Ragtop has started something weird with the horn. When I shut the car off, open the door and close it I get three very sharp and short beeps. Doesn't do it every time, but just about every time. Guys at Chevy don't have a clue and I am out of ideas.
I don't know if it's related or not but the Fuel Mileage as gone to pot too. Was resting at about 32 hwy and now it's hovering around 24 to
25. I have had fluctuations before and the Chevron injection cleaner always cleaned it up. This time it had no effect at all and to top it off I can't see a plug nickels difference between fifth and sixth gear.
Anybody got any ideas?
I agree with the other posts about the FOB theory and also gas additives, driving habits and short trips in the winter affecting mileage.

Just an FYI, you stated your car is a 2008, and factory/original batteries are notorious for lasting about 5 years.

Get ready for some weird DIC messages soon and start with the main battery, right Gearhead !
Old 12-24-2011, 02:42 PM
vettman96
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen1224
I agree with Roger and Jim; The car thinks there's a fob in the car. Mine did that if If I got out and my wife had the other fob in the car. I turned off the fob warning; problem solved.
As for the gas milage; I noticed a 10% drop when ethanal was added to gas and I always get lower milage in the winter if the gas formula is changed here in the Northeast.

MERRY CHRISTMAS !
ethanol has a much lower energy density than gas, but a higher octane level that helps avoid detonation, and it also does a very good job of cleaning the injector nozzles.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:03 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTN

If I keep my FOB in my right pocket I get 3 beeps upon exit in my garage. If I keep it in my left pocket no beep. Could be the "too close" issue for you as well.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:03 PM
caroutisine
Racer

My vert does the 3 beeps from time to time if I have the fob in my right pocket. If i have it in my left pocket, it seems to know the fob is not inside the car, and I don't get the 3 beeps.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:10 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Different version from Tony Orlando and Dawn ......................
Old 12-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

it is the fob reminder, my car never used to do this but for the last couple of years it does it a lot - it can be embarrassing at times because the young girls think that i am honking at them
Old 12-24-2011, 04:24 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Default Oh yeah ........

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
it is the fob reminder, my car never used to do this but for the last couple of years it does it a lot - it can be embarrassing at times because the young girls think that i am honking at them

Uh huh ............. likely story .................
Old 12-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
[/COLOR]

Uh huh ............. likely story .................
that's my story and i am sticking to it
Old 12-24-2011, 04:34 PM
BostonJoel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caroutisine
My vert does the 3 beeps from time to time if I have the fob in my right pocket. If i have it in my left pocket, it seems to know the fob is not inside the car, and I don't get the 3 beeps.
Same here. I carry the fob in left front pocket now. Problem solved.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:56 PM
Pat Wells
Heel & Toe

The pieces are falling into place. Looking back, the beeps always happened when I went somewhere where I could't carry. I am so use to haveing my .380 in my right pocket that it feels wrong when I have to leave it at home. So, I put the keys in my right pocket when I go to the V.A., post office, or some other Dumb *** government facility where I can't carry my gun. All other times I carry my keys in my left pocket so they don't get hung up in the trigger.
Seems that was it, at least it's worked out the last couple of days. Who would have seen that one coming......
Old 01-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Delbert
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I wrestled with the three beep event for a long time until I finally discovered that my FOBs hang on a key hook just inside the house when you step in from the garage. The FOBs were sending the signal to the car from that short distance. I moved the key holder elsewhere in the house and that solved the three beep eventII

Get notified of new replies

To Three beeps

Quick Reply: Three beeps